GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Prepaid Maintenance & Extended Warranties - Pricing/Questions/What is covered?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-20, 11:23 AM
SamLexRXGX
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

GX is a complex vehicle for alignment. Toyota dealer did not do well and they introduced a right pull, which a lexus dealer fixed.

Lexus dealer techs are better in doing alignment on this GX.

I would suggest you to do alignment with them only if you notice any pull.
The following 2 users liked this post by SamLexRXGX:
hadokenuh (09-04-20), HopRock (09-04-20)
Old 01-20-21, 09:12 AM
Tiger12
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus Extended Warranty

Tried searching the forums in here but couldn't find a suitable answer so here we go!

Recently purchased a 2015 Lexus GX460 Premium with around 97k miles on it. Has an impeccable service record as the maintenance was done at 5k intervals at the same dealership it was bought from. My question to everyone is...has anyone purchased an extended warranty after purchase from Lexus and if so what was the price? Now I know everyone has there thoughts on extended warranties but this is only for peace of mind and I would rather get one if I can from Lexus.
Old 01-20-21, 12:33 PM
YGBSM352
7th Gear

I was also looking for an extended warranty for my recently purchased 2016 GX. I looked at a lot of options that seemed to me to be very expensive. I was talking to my mechanical repair shop, when having the fluids changed, and I asked what their experience was with extended warranties as far as providing the best coverage for vehicle owners. They told me about one named MRC. https://www.cunamutual.com/products/...epair-coverage. I investigated this source and found them to have the best coverage for the best price - except for CPO cars that is. I hope this helps.
I think that you have to be member of a credit union that is part of the CUNA organization.
The following users liked this post:
Tiger12 (01-21-21)
Old 01-20-21, 01:27 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Save your money. Extended warranties are a waste. Especially on Japanese vehicles with impeccable reliability. If something goes wrong buy the part yourself and pay for labor only. This will cost you 1/3 the price of an extended warranty.
Tiger12 (01-21-21)
Old 01-20-21, 01:36 PM
xychromo
Intermediate

Received 206 Likes on 116 Posts

Maybe a better strategy is to set aside funds reserved for an extended warranty premium every month into a savings account that you could draw from in the event of service, repairs or impulsive upgrades
Tiger12 (01-21-21)
Old 01-20-21, 02:16 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,033 Likes on 690 Posts

BEWARE of 3rd Party Warranties ... most are not worth the paper they are written on ... the devil is in the details, meaning the fine print that defines the conditions, restrictions, limitations and exclusions. These policies are extremely profitable (free money) for the dealership ... hence their motivation to sell on behalf of the 3rd Party who pays them a percentage of the take.

Have a qualified mechanic read the conditions, restrictions, limitations and exclusions given they are typically designed to only cover components that have an extremely low statistical probability of failure ... with the balance not covered. DO NOT confuse 3rd Party Warranties with the Lexus Certified Extended Warranty. You are probably better off banking the money for future repairs ... and since the GX460 is crazy reliable, this will probably end up being money in your pocket.

Note that the "administrator and obligor" (in the policy footnote) is the 3rd Party Underwriter who administrates any future claim on the policy ... so if you attempt to trigger warranty coverage in the future, Lexus and/or the Dealership play absolutely no role ... and have absolutely no obligation as to your satisfaction ... none whatsoever.

If you are still inclined ... at least do yourself a favor and research the underwriter before purchasing ... Better Business Bureau Ratings, Consumer Complaints ... etc.
Tiger12 (01-21-21)
Old 01-20-21, 02:51 PM
schwein
Pit Crew

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiger12
Tried searching the forums in here but couldn't find a suitable answer so here we go!

Recently purchased a 2015 Lexus GX460 Premium with around 97k miles on it. Has an impeccable service record as the maintenance was done at 5k intervals at the same dealership it was bought from. My question to everyone is...has anyone purchased an extended warranty after purchase from Lexus and if so what was the price? Now I know everyone has there thoughts on extended warranties but this is only for peace of mind and I would rather get one if I can from Lexus.
To me it sounds like you're concerned that your new vehicle may have some upcoming maintenance items that could come in the next 10-20k and you want a warranty package that will cover these? I think you're likely too late to buy a package form Lexus (they usually only sell them while in warranty period). there is a fellow on the 4Runner forum that specializes in these types of warranties, may be worth reaching out to him. here is the tread on that website, lots of good info. lots of people get these plans, they are short money if something goes that's covered (for like 1500 bucks).

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-g...-warranty.html
Tiger12 (01-21-21)
Old 01-20-21, 03:20 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Received 325 Likes on 221 Posts

I believe the Lexus VSA for a used Lexus is only for CPO's. I purchased a 3 year VSA that extends the 2 year CPO for a total of 5 years with unlimited mileage - priced seemed reasonable given those extra 3 years will cover into the 12th year of the life of the truck. Of course in expectation, the return will be less than the price, so I can see not bothering, but the VSA warranty covers extreme downside risk (head unit dies etc). I wouldn't bother with a third party warranty personally but I really have no experience with them, so discount my take accordingly. If you are able to get a Lexus VSA, and have thought through the value to you of risk mitigation vs the upfront price, I HIGHLY recommend checking multiple dealerships (I think any in your state can sell you the coverage). Prices ranged around 15% - the dealerships have pretty good markup on the warranties, but it also helps them lock in service, where most of the dealership profit is, albeit at lower margins than walk in, rather than have you go to an independent shop for your service/repairs.
Tiger12 (01-21-21)
Old 01-20-21, 03:28 PM
csrpenfab
Pit Crew

Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by CFAI
I believe the Lexus VSA for a used Lexus is only for CPO's. I purchased a 3 year VSA that extends the 2 year CPO for a total of 5 years with unlimited mileage - priced seemed reasonable given those extra 3 years will cover into the 12th year of the life of the truck. Of course in expectation, the return will be less than the price, so I can see not bothering, but the VSA warranty covers extreme downside risk (head unit dies etc). I wouldn't bother with a third party warranty personally but I really have no experience with them, so discount my take accordingly. If you are able to get a Lexus VSA, and have thought through the value to you of risk mitigation vs the upfront price, I HIGHLY recommend checking multiple dealerships (I think any in your state can sell you the coverage). Prices ranged around 15% - the dealerships have pretty good markup on the warranties, but it also helps them lock in service, where most of the dealership profit is, albeit at lower margins than walk in, rather than have you go to an independent shop for your service/repairs.
When we bought my wife's 2014 LS460 used (not CPO due to age), they offered up a Lexus bumper to bumper warranty that would cover it until 75k miles. Price started out at $3000 and quickly dropped to $1600 when I balked. One year into ownership, the in dash clock quit working and the hyrdraulic brake actuator was acting up. Both items were replaced by the Lexus dealer with zero deductible. That repair alone would have run nearly double what I paid for the ext. warranty. I'd never buy a 3rd party warranty after having one from a GM dealer on my Chevy SS, but the Lexus warranty is solid. Given the incredible amount of bells/whistles on the LS460, I think it was money well spent. On a GX; not so much...
Tiger12 (01-21-21)
Old 01-20-21, 07:16 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by csrpenfab
When we bought my wife's 2014 LS460 used (not CPO due to age), they offered up a Lexus bumper to bumper warranty that would cover it until 75k miles. Price started out at $3000 and quickly dropped to $1600 when I balked. One year into ownership, the in dash clock quit working and the hyrdraulic brake actuator was acting up. Both items were replaced by the Lexus dealer with zero deductible. That repair alone would have run nearly double what I paid for the ext. warranty. I'd never buy a 3rd party warranty after having one from a GM dealer on my Chevy SS, but the Lexus warranty is solid. Given the incredible amount of bells/whistles on the LS460, I think it was money well spent. On a GX; not so much...
Brake actuators were very common on the LS460. I believe there was a recall on them too. About $850 if you buy the part yourself. Of course there are cases with vehicles that have lots of problems where a warranty could pay for itself but way more often than not it is a waste of money. Otherwise they would not sell them.
Tiger12 (01-21-21)
Old 01-21-21, 04:18 AM
Tiger12
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies everyone! Like I said in my previous post, this is more of a piece of mind type of warranty....knowing darn well that I probably won't need it considering the reliability in most of these vehicles.
Old 01-21-21, 04:24 AM
Tiger12
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Save your money. Extended warranties are a waste. Especially on Japanese vehicles with impeccable reliability. If something goes wrong buy the part yourself and pay for labor only. This will cost you 1/3 the price of an extended warranty.
I get 25% off all Lexus parts anyways and I work pretty intensely on my track Miata so putting parts on isn't the problem...it's more of all the engine and electrical components I really freaking hate doing as they're very tedious.
Old 07-14-21, 11:51 AM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts
Question Lexus Extended Warranty - non-CPO GX

Hey guys..

Wondering if I can get the Lexus extended warranty added to my 2018 w/42K miles ( still under original warranty thru 07/22 or 50K miles ) ? May not need it, but want it for peace of mind.

Also, if possible, does anyone have any recommendations on what dealer to contact ? I tried Sewell ( Dallas TX ) and they said I can't add it unless the vehicle was bought from them ( L/Certified or New only )

Any suggestions, recommendations are greatly appreciated

Old 07-14-21, 12:03 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Received 325 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by m5rahul
Hey guys..

Wondering if I can get the Lexus extended warranty added to my 2018 w/42K miles ( still under original warranty thru 07/22 or 50K miles ) ? May not need it, but want it for peace of mind.

Also, if possible, does anyone have any recommendations on what dealer to contact ? I tried Sewell ( Dallas TX ) and they said I can't add it unless the vehicle was bought from them ( L/Certified or New only )

Any suggestions, recommendations are greatly appreciated
I think you are out of luck*. https://www.lexusfinancial.com/us/en...greements.html Take a look at 'show me plans' for 'used vehicle' at bottom of page. "Vehicles are eligible if they are within current plus 9 model years and less than 125,000 miles.4 Used vehicle plans are available only at the time of the used vehicle sale."

some here may say this is lucky, since EW are a 'total waste of money'. I don't subscribe to that, but regardless, I think 3rd party are you only option now (which I personally would not get, but that is your call)
Old 07-14-21, 02:17 PM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by CFAI
I think you are out of luck*. https://www.lexusfinancial.com/us/en...greements.html Take a look at 'show me plans' for 'used vehicle' at bottom of page. "Vehicles are eligible if they are within current plus 9 model years and less than 125,000 miles.4 Used vehicle plans are available only at the time of the used vehicle sale."

some here may say this is lucky, since EW are a 'total waste of money'. I don't subscribe to that, but regardless, I think 3rd party are you only option now (which I personally would not get, but that is your call)
Yeah, that's what I've been seeing on the lexus's site..

I bought the vehicle from EchoPark and they have offered an EW (Platinum Plan - 75K bumper to bumper, on top of the current mileage of 42,7xx or 5 years / $100 deductible / $2100 negotiated [ orig. $3499 ] )

I would really want to be able to get the manufacturer plan, if possible!

Quick Reply: Prepaid Maintenance & Extended Warranties - Pricing/Questions/What is covered?