GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Prepaid Maintenance & Extended Warranties - Pricing/Questions/What is covered?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-21, 02:21 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Received 325 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by m5rahul
Yeah, that's what I've been seeing on the lexus's site..

I bought the vehicle from EchoPark and they have offered an EW (Platinum Plan - 75K bumper to bumper, on top of the current mileage of 42,7xx or 5 years / $100 deductible / $2100 negotiated [ orig. $3499 ] )

I would really want to be able to get the manufacturer plan, if possible!
Sell it to a dealer and then have them sell it back to you?
Old 07-14-21, 02:25 PM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by CFAI
Sell it to a dealer and then have them sell it back to you?
now there's a thought!
Old 07-14-21, 02:27 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Originally Posted by m5rahul
now there's a thought!
Of course it is an absolutely terrible idea, but hey, when there is a will, there is a way.
Old 07-15-21, 05:38 PM
YGBSM352
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought an extended warranty for my 2016 GX about a year ago. At the recommendation of my non Lexus repair company I went with a company used by CUNA credit union because they were the best coverage and the best for warranty approval. They also turned out to be the least expensive with the best coverage and the least deductible. Check out a local credit union and see if they can get you in touch.
Old 08-12-21, 10:27 AM
LexusSoCal
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Prepaid Maintenance & Extended Warranties

Just wanted to get the Lexus communities feel on purchasing Prepaid Maintenance and extended warranties on the purchase of a new Lexus GX 460. As I have stated before I have ordered a 22 GX 460 Luxury with Off Road / Mark Levinson / 18 F Sport Wheels. I have never owned a Lexus before and i know they are great reliable cars and the maintenance cost for them is reasonable I believe. So is it worth it to purchase these things? I intend to keep the car 6-8 years and put around 100k miles on it during that time. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 08-12-21, 03:22 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,655 Likes on 2,393 Posts

This thread may give you some input as well

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-warranty.html
Old 08-13-21, 08:27 AM
CFAI
Instructor

IF you do decide you want to buy the extended warranty (up to you - opinions will differ here - I did buy one for my CPO GX bc it was almost 7 yo when I bought it, but I prob would not get one for a new GX - but that is just me). I would however, strongly recommend negotiating the price by checking pricing with other dealers (not sure if they need to be in your state to offer it). Prices ranged by $500 when I did my search.
The following users liked this post:
raiders3 (11-23-21)
Old 08-14-21, 08:30 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

No, I wouldn't.

Also remember that the truly expensive repairs that can happen, like say a transmission or engine going out, are covered beyond the 50k bumper to bumper warranty with a factory drivetrain warranty for 70k miles.
Most of the money you are going to be spending are on items that an extended warranty won't cover like brakes, fluid changes, suspension wear and tear, tires etc. Also, having a factory extended warranty experience on a different vehicle (Ford) they found fine print to slither out from what would normally be covered in a new car warranty. Fortunately it was something small (way cheaper than what the warranty cost) but put a bad taste in my mouth.

The pre-paid maintenance plans I saw seemed really over priced (but it was for a Mercedes lease) and a lot of that "maintenance" are things any person could do, like changing the engine air filter or cabin air filter and save hundreds. I'd rather just pay as I go. They've obviously done the math and wouldn't sell these plans unless it was additional profit for the dealership.
Old 08-14-21, 09:36 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,033 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusSoCal
Just wanted to get the Lexus communities feel on purchasing Prepaid Maintenance and extended warranties on the purchase of a new Lexus GX 460. As I have stated before I have ordered a 22 GX 460 Luxury with Off Road / Mark Levinson / 18 F Sport Wheels. I have never owned a Lexus before and i know they are great reliable cars and the maintenance cost for them is reasonable I believe. So is it worth it to purchase these things? I intend to keep the car 6-8 years and put around 100k miles on it during that time. Any advice would be appreciated.
There are enough past posts on this subject ... so do a search. Don't go there is the concensus.
Old 08-17-21, 08:16 PM
S2k4
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

The only one that is worth getting is the windshield replacement coverage. When I had mine, I had to replace 5 windshields in 3 years due to rock dings, etc... These windshields are fragile and expensive to replace with all of the tech on them now, over $2200 for an OEM, which is what you want. As for maintenance, get the free ones from Lexus, then either do them yourself or go to your local mechanic. You'll save a ton of money over Lexus in the service department.
Old 08-18-21, 01:51 AM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 250 Likes on 204 Posts

Both are going to be overpriced for what you get. If 100k is the max you’ll keep it, then just make sure to do the service work at the dealership and if you had an issue after the original warranty expires Lexus has a goodwill program that pretty much covers any problems that the original owner has post warranty if the maintenance work has been kept reasonably current and there aren’t any signs of abuse or neglect.
Lexus doesn’t want to lose a customer that buys new cars, spends money maintaining them at the dealer, and hasn’t abused the vehicle. This isn’t something they advertise but they certainly don’t want to lose a good customer for the rare problems that come up between the warranty and 100k. So keep this in mind when deciding if you should get the 60k service they keep reminding you is coming due.
Old 08-18-21, 02:09 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by S2k4
The only one that is worth getting is the windshield replacement coverage. When I had mine, I had to replace 5 windshields in 3 years due to rock dings, etc... These windshields are fragile and expensive to replace with all of the tech on them now, over $2200 for an OEM, which is what you want. As for maintenance, get the free ones from Lexus, then either do them yourself or go to your local mechanic. You'll save a ton of money over Lexus in the service department.
Does Lexus offer a free windshield replacement plan? What does it cost?

My insurance company has this coverage, but it won't cover OEM. Truthfully, the replacement has been fine. I'm not paying $2200 for a windshield.
I have gone through a lot of windshields.
Old 08-19-21, 08:28 PM
S2k4
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
Does Lexus offer a free windshield replacement plan? What does it cost?

My insurance company has this coverage, but it won't cover OEM. Truthfully, the replacement has been fine. I'm not paying $2200 for a windshield.
I have gone through a lot of windshields.
Lexus does. Not sure on the cost. I got one with the Highlander and it was $700. It covers 2 replacements per year for 6 years, zero deductible. It's already paid for itself. OEM has more sound deadening characteristics.
Old 08-20-21, 07:25 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 609 Likes on 368 Posts

Not worth it imo. (Especially on a brand new GX, I could see a justification for it if you were buying a used GX with questionable service history and you were able to massively negotiate the price on the insurance plan)
Old 08-31-21, 01:37 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Dealerships with good pricing on Lexus extended warranties?

I know that with Toyota there are a few dealerships that have great pricing on the extended warranties like Wolverine Toyota in Michigan where I got the warranties for my wife's RAV4 and my old 4Runner, however, is there anything like that available for Lexus?

Yes, I'm cheap and since I likely won't need the warranty I'd like to get it as cheaply as possible :-)

Quick Reply: Prepaid Maintenance & Extended Warranties - Pricing/Questions/What is covered?