GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Prepaid Maintenance & Extended Warranties - Pricing/Questions/What is covered?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-21, 06:44 PM
TonyMS
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Warranty adding Carplay

It seems that some dealerships install the different units for you. I am looking at the Grom solution I have a a 2017 CPO with extended warranty unlimited mileage till 2028. This is really the only thing I am interested in doing to it just to update the infotainment system. I drive a lot for work I purchased it with 12k on it 1 year ago and have managed to rack up 38k so the warranty is really comforting. Anyone have any experience with stuff like this and warranty?
Old 10-11-21, 08:40 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

If you have a problem with the head unit remove before service.
Old 10-12-21, 11:20 AM
virtualpj
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Unless the Grom causes an issue, it won't affect your warranty
Old 10-13-21, 08:05 AM
GXLUX
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Installing the Grom, or other unit like it is just unplugging and re-plugging devices. There is no cutting or permanent altering of anything.
If you need to remove it before service you can, but as described, the Grom would have to be the cause of the service issue for them do deny it.
Old 11-07-21, 09:27 AM
sfuad
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Extended warranty

Mine 2022 GX has arrived at Port and I would be getting it pretty soon. I typically don't keep extended warranty on my Lexus SUV's , only bought it for LS460L because of air suspension. However, if I decide to buy, di we know current prices for Lexus Platinum warranty. Any specific dealer recommendation to buy it

thanks in advance for help
The following users liked this post:
Billjenkir (11-08-21)
Old 11-07-21, 11:13 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,033 Likes on 690 Posts

... a HUGE waste of money. Search past posts on this subject.
Old 11-07-21, 05:03 PM
TonyMS
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a CPO GX I did get the extended warranty I drive alot 30k a year. Mine is a Luxury model and the warranty is unlimited mileage to 2028 so I thought it was a good deal.
Old 11-15-21, 08:07 PM
meds9842
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus VSA (extended warranty) on Certified 2019 GX Experience and Fine Print Question

I picked up a L/Certified 2019 GX a few months ago, it must have been one of the last one's sold because it still had just about two years of the factory warranty left, and the L/Certified deal added two years (unlimited mileage) on top of that with the claim it makes what's left on the original warranty also unlimited mileage.

I have had a hard time confirming the fact that the L/Certified makes what's left on the original warranty also unlimited mileage, all of the paperwork claims the L/Certified two years starts as soon as the factory warranty ends, and I will hit 50k prior to the 4 years. Seeing as the mileage is reported remotely I can see them starting the new clock exactly at 50k miles, but the welcome letter I received from Lexus does specifically have a date 6 years out from the original sale date of the vehicle. Any insight here?

I was eager to pursue the Lexus VSA to extend the L/Certified warranty. I purchased a 5 year plan from a certain Lexus dealer in Louisiana you can read about on this forum. I had no issues purchasing across state lines (I'm much farther north), contrary to what some say elsewhere on this forum. I paid a little bit more than $2400 for the 5 year plan, which doesn't start until the L/Certified expires in four years. I typically judge extended warranties to be a waste of money, but I found the unlimited mileage aspect of this to be a total gamechanger, and the price to be a phenomenal deal. I jumped early, technically have until the original warranty expires to buy this, but I assumed the cheapest price would be now, especially in light of inflationary concerns. I received a booklet in the mail from Lexus Financial Services which confirms Certified Platinum coverage through mid-2030 with unlimited miles.

All of my local dealerships were 1k-2k more for this product, but I didn't press anyone on price, and I'm hoping I don't regret not trying harder. The booklet with the fine print states, before the long list of normal exceptions, that the covered components are: "all manufacturer-original equipment parts installed by the manufacturer or your selling dealer are covered under this agreement...". Am I correct to read this that if something is replaced under warranty at a local dealer, and not the dealer that sold me the VSA, that part is no longer covered in the future? Does anyone have any experience with this? I was not planning on taking my car to Louisiana for warranty work.
Old 11-16-21, 07:45 AM
GX4602011
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by meds9842
I picked up a L/Certified 2019 GX a few months ago, it must have been one of the last one's sold because it still had just about two years of the factory warranty left, and the L/Certified deal added two years (unlimited mileage) on top of that with the claim it makes what's left on the original warranty also unlimited mileage.

I have had a hard time confirming the fact that the L/Certified makes what's left on the original warranty also unlimited mileage, all of the paperwork claims the L/Certified two years starts as soon as the factory warranty ends, and I will hit 50k prior to the 4 years. Seeing as the mileage is reported remotely I can see them starting the new clock exactly at 50k miles, but the welcome letter I received from Lexus does specifically have a date 6 years out from the original sale date of the vehicle. Any insight here?

4yrs OR 50K, which comes first will end the original warranty. So if a vehicle reaches 50K miles one year before the calendar date of the 4yr/50K miles original warranty date expiration then the CPO warranty would then start (also a year earlier). In this scenario; 3 years (50K mile) of factory warranty + 2 year CPO (unlimited miles) = 5 years total. The L/Certified guarantees a full two years of coverage to buyers by removing the mileage limitations. miles.

I was eager to pursue the Lexus VSA to extend the L/Certified warranty. I purchased a 5 year plan from a certain Lexus dealer in Louisiana you can read about on this forum. I had no issues purchasing across state lines (I'm much farther north), contrary to what some say elsewhere on this forum. I paid a little bit more than $2400 for the 5 year plan, which doesn't start until the L/Certified expires in four years. I typically judge extended warranties to be a waste of money, but I found the unlimited mileage aspect of this to be a total gamechanger, and the price to be a phenomenal deal. I jumped early, technically have until the original warranty expires to buy this, but I assumed the cheapest price would be now, especially in light of inflationary concerns. I received a booklet in the mail from Lexus Financial Services which confirms Certified Platinum coverage through mid-2030 with unlimited miles.

All of my local dealerships were 1k-2k more for this product, but I didn't press anyone on price, and I'm hoping I don't regret not trying harder. The booklet with the fine print states, before the long list of normal exceptions, that the covered components are: "all manufacturer-original equipment parts installed by the manufacturer or your selling dealer are covered under this agreement...". Am I correct to read this that if something is replaced under warranty at a local dealer, and not the dealer that sold me the VSA, that part is no longer covered in the future? Does anyone have any experience with this? I was not planning on taking my car to Louisiana for warranty work.

I take it that it is describing the parts installed at the factory and any Lexus parts (not installed at the factory) installed by the selling dealer (who sold you the vehicle). Example; If the selling dealer installed a hitch for you before you purchased the GX then that hitch is also covered.
A brochure from Lexus detailing the SVA L/Ceriified.
Old 11-16-21, 03:31 PM
meds9842
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GX4602011
4yrs OR 50K, which comes first will end the original warranty. So if a vehicle reaches 50K miles one year before the calendar date of the 4yr/50K miles original warranty date expiration then the CPO warranty would then start (also a year earlier). In this scenario; 3 years (50K mile) of factory warranty + 2 year CPO (unlimited miles) = 5 years total. The L/Certified guarantees a full two years of coverage to buyers by removing the mileage limitations. miles.
This is also how I read the marketing material, but it does seem like it would be difficult for them to track, and also somewhat strange that they would sell an unlimited mileage product that can start early once a certain mileage is reached. When I bought the car the finance manager (who obviously shouldn't be trusted) made the claim that the original warranty essentially becomes unlimited mileage as well, and then the letter I received from Lexus makes the claim: "Your L/Certified vehicle includes the following elements, with coverage starting at the expiration of the Basic Warranty or at the time of vehicle purchase, whichever occurs later, and continuing for 2 years before expiring on XX/XX/25." It seems contradictory, does the L/Certified coverage continue for exactly 2 years or does it expire exactly on that date?

Anyone ever heard of anyone who's had a basic warranty expire on mileage and then L/Certified coverage continue to the expiration date or end early? Do they send a letter if the clock starts early? Is it left to the dealer to figure this out when you bring it in for warranty work?

Originally Posted by GX4602011
I take it that it is describing the parts installed at the factory and any Lexus parts (not installed at the factory) installed by the selling dealer (who sold you the vehicle). Example; If the selling dealer installed a hitch for you before you purchased the GX then that hitch is also covered.
I think that's a good take on it, OEM accessories installed at the original selling dealer would likely include warranty protection. If the worst case is true, I've decided not to worry about it, I pursued this deal to protect against big ticket failures in electronics and it's obviously unlikely for anything on this car to fail, far less likely to fail more than once.

Old 01-12-22, 08:26 PM
arags
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2019 gx luxury.. hooray?? Extended warranty info

Hello all
Just picked up a 2019 gx luxury with driver support package with about 48k miles on it for 51.5k. Was a tough decision, but choices are limited. I think I am happy with the purchase lol. Any input on whether I overpaid or it’s a decent deal would be great.
It was L certified, so my base warranty is extended to 6 years unlimited mileage. The dealer said that I could extend that by another 5 years for 4k and so I went ahead and did that. This means I now have the base warranty for 9 years from today I think. Was the the right choice to make?
Any input on the extended warranty choice will be much appreciated as I can cancel anytime for a prorate.
Any other comments or thoughts also on th rover all purchase will be much appreciated as well. Fingers crossed I have made a decent choice.
Old 01-12-22, 09:40 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Received 325 Likes on 221 Posts

$51.5k with the extra 5 years, or $55.5k with the 5 years? I think it means you have 2k miles of use and then after that you will have 7 years of warranty, since the manufacturers is 4 year to 50k miles. Then, your unlimited will kick in, and you will have that for 7 years. It isn't exactly the same as the manufacturers but it is pretty close. It is up to you if you paid too much. It is true that is a lot more than one would have paid 2 years ago but as you say supply is currently limited. It is done, so enjoy the car.
Old 01-13-22, 04:12 AM
arags
Driver School Candidate

just out of curiosity, what do you mean by lot more? So at least I have an idea of where I stand. It is hard to estimate since the values all reflect the current climate. I do plan to keep this car for a long time, so I guess it is what is, but it would be interested in knowing what the overage was. So it was 55.7k in total.
According to the dealer, since this is certified the base warranty gets extended to 6 years unlimited from the date of original purchase, and with the extra 5 years I understand that I will have about 9 years with unlimited miles on the base warranty. Was I not informed correctly about it?

Originally Posted by CFAI
$51.5k with the extra 5 years, or $55.5k with the 5 years? I think it means you have 2k miles of use and then after that you will have 7 years of warranty, since the manufacturers is 4 year to 50k miles. Then, your unlimited will kick in, and you will have that for 7 years. It isn't exactly the same as the manufacturers but it is pretty close. It is up to you if you paid too much. It is true that is a lot more than one would have paid 2 years ago but as you say supply is currently limited. It is done, so enjoy the car.
Old 01-13-22, 04:32 AM
arags
Driver School Candidate

And also when I meant supply was limited, it was mainly trying to find one with the driver support package since that was the only way we could have the safety features. That was something my wife really wanted to have and this made the scope really narrow.
Old 01-13-22, 08:53 AM
CFAI
Instructor

Received 325 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by arags
just out of curiosity, what do you mean by lot more? So at least I have an idea of where I stand. It is hard to estimate since the values all reflect the current climate. I do plan to keep this car for a long time, so I guess it is what is, but it would be interested in knowing what the overage was. So it was 55.7k in total.
According to the dealer, since this is certified the base warranty gets extended to 6 years unlimited from the date of original purchase, and with the extra 5 years I understand that I will have about 9 years with unlimited miles on the base warranty. Was I not informed correctly about it?
I do not believe you were informed correctly. My understanding is that the 2 year unlimited warranty starts when the manufacturers warranty expiries. That occurs at 4 years or 50k. You are at 48k. So in 2k your manufactures will expire and your CPO will start. You have extended the warranty for 5 years, so you have 7 years unlimited. But of course, I am just some rando guy on a car forum so double check :-)

If you needed the car now, you only paid too much if you could have gotten a similar GX for much less. I guess if you could have waited, maybe a year, then the prices would likely be lower as the supply chains open up and supply greatly increases, putting downward pressure on the used supply prices. That said, $55.5 is getting close to new car price - but I guess for the Luxury you are looking at around $70k - but I think MSRP for a Prem is around $58k or something - so maybe around $60k if you can find one with no markup. But maybe there are none available.

If $4k for a 5 year extension is a good deal or not will be up to you, $800 per year doesn't sound too crazy to me - that sound like in the range of what I paid (I bought a 3 year extension on mine). You have a 2019 and your GX will be covered through 2028 (and a week or so of Jan '29). What you might do (and what I did for my GX) was work back and ask what is the average cost of repairs and the most likely max repair cost (radio/infotainment stack issues I think can hit $8k for replacement) for a GX that is the an age of my last year of coverage. So for you a 9ish (maybe closer to 10 yo if your GX was made Dec '18 or early '19) year old GX, then an 8 year old GX, a 7 year old, etc. to get a rough idea. If your GX gives you no hassles in the next 2 years then maybe you might decide to cancel the extension, but if your GX has some issues (it is a used car so who really knows what it has experienced), then maybe you might adjust your risk of higher repair costs up and just keep the coverage. If it were me, I think I would be more interested in the extended coverage if it was an early build of the 2016 MY, since that coverage would extend into year 12/13 of the GX, but maybe that would be more expensive. Of course there are many here that wouldn't even consider a CPO - so it really is about your own personal risk adversity.

But really, just enjoy it. You got yourself a great ride that you can keep for ages.

Last edited by CFAI; 01-13-22 at 09:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Prepaid Maintenance & Extended Warranties - Pricing/Questions/What is covered?