GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Prepaid Maintenance & Extended Warranties - Pricing/Questions/What is covered?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-22, 03:16 PM
arags
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

thanks for all the help. I ended up calling Lexus and confirming. Just as an FYI, they said that the dealer was good and my L-certified warranty will go on till 08/2025, that is 6 years from the date of first purchase. The mileage does not matter as it was still under base warranty. I saw the same thing via autotrader.com but there isn't clear info from the Lexus site itself. So I guess now I have the warranty coverage till 2030 including the additional 5 years I bought. Go figure.
I am going to try and enjoy it, Just wanted to have an idea of the premium that's all. I hope to keep this for 10-15 years as the primary reason i got it was to tow my boat and it replaced my Honda Pilot. I have some other questions and I guess tha will end up being another thread.
Thanks again for your inout
The following users liked this post:
Piney1 (01-14-22)
Old 01-13-22, 03:38 PM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 320 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by arags
thanks for all the help. I ended up calling Lexus and confirming. Just as an FYI, they said that the dealer was good and my L-certified warranty will go on till 08/2025, that is 6 years from the date of first purchase. The mileage does not matter as it was still under base warranty. I saw the same thing via autotrader.com but there isn't clear info from the Lexus site itself. So I guess now I have the warranty coverage till 2030 including the additional 5 years I bought. Go figure.
I am going to try and enjoy it, Just wanted to have an idea of the premium that's all. I hope to keep this for 10-15 years as the primary reason i got it was to tow my boat and it replaced my Honda Pilot. I have some other questions and I guess tha will end up being another thread.
That's awesome! So you have until 08/2030. Amazing that you can get your GX covered deep into year 11 of its life.
Piney1 (01-14-22)
Old 01-13-22, 04:35 PM
SigEpGX460
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by arags
You will have to double check your paperwork (not sure if Lexus has changed this feature); but when I purchased my CPO warranty it also came with the ability to "transfer" the warranty one time. Great option for you to bail in 2025 for an LX and sell the truck to another forum member with a 5yr unlimited mile warranty.

There are a lot of DIY'ers on the forum who will tell you that it is a waste of money but that really comes down to how much an individual values their time. So far under CPO Lexus has replaced my drivers seat leather for premature wear; two door actuators; the barn door handle; and some ECU module that went bad. Plus I still have about four and a half years left ;-)
The following 2 users liked this post by SigEpGX460:
CFAI (01-13-22), Piney1 (01-14-22)
Old 01-13-22, 08:25 PM
arags
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes I did check with the dealer and that’s what they said. That it’s transferable one time.

I would love to trade in later, but this was a hard sell to the wife. We almost got the Hyundai palisade because of the comfort. Decided otherwise cos I wasn’t really sure it would be able to tow my boat rig 500miles I think I am at about 4200# for the next 10 years.

So the compromise was the Gx which can still take 7 in a pinch, but can tow and after 3-4 years this would be the third vehicle. Otherwise I would have gotten an older gx for about 30k as a third one right now.

I guess this might also be my overland vehicle in the near term, as I am really interested in exploring the Utah Colorado Yellowstone area and hoping the gx will let me get off the beaten trail. I think this would also be something i want to do in about two years time with my kids. Let’s see where the gx takes us

I would love to DIY but I think some of that time might be spent better doing other stuff like camping with the kids etc and I am getting old. Stuff aches

Originally Posted by SigEpGX460
You will have to double check your paperwork (not sure if Lexus has changed this feature); but when I purchased my CPO warranty it also came with the ability to "transfer" the warranty one time. Great option for you to bail in 2025 for an LX and sell the truck to another forum member with a 5yr unlimited mile warranty.

There are a lot of DIY'ers on the forum who will tell you that it is a waste of money but that really comes down to how much an individual values their time. So far under CPO Lexus has replaced my drivers seat leather for premature wear; two door actuators; the barn door handle; and some ECU module that went bad. Plus I still have about four and a half years left ;-)
Piney1 (01-14-22)
Old 05-04-22, 08:36 PM
Bhairav
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 2015 GX460 Brake Actuator failure

Hi All,
I purchased a L certified 2015 GX460 with 34k miles, at the time of purchase dealer did brakes, bleed the system. Now at 38400 miles actuator had failed , no warning codes.
1.) Vehicle is with dealer, they are waiting on part. 2.) I am assuming they cover in L certified warranty. 3.) I spoke to service advisor, he says extended warranty company approved but I still have to pay 1hr additional labor. I told him it’s L certified not an external warranty company. He says yes still need to get an approval. 4.) I told him the point of purchasing certified vehicle is that they cover all nuances. Then he says he will talk to his manager. 5.) I don’t want to engage in any debates with them. 5.) would like to hear from fellow GX owners, especially L certified warranty experiences!

Thanks,
Vikram.
Old 05-05-22, 04:33 PM
SigEpGX460
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Bhairav - I have had claims under the original certified two year warranty and under the extended warranty. All of my claims were covered 100% with zero out of pocket.
Bhairav (05-05-22)
Old 05-05-22, 06:19 PM
sfuad
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bhairav
Hi All,
I purchased a L certified 2015 GX460 with 34k miles, at the time of purchase dealer did brakes, bleed the system. Now at 38400 miles actuator had failed , no warning codes.
1.) Vehicle is with dealer, they are waiting on part. 2.) I am assuming they cover in L certified warranty. 3.) I spoke to service advisor, he says extended warranty company approved but I still have to pay 1hr additional labor. I told him it’s L certified not an external warranty company. He says yes still need to get an approval. 4.) I told him the point of purchasing certified vehicle is that they cover all nuances. Then he says he will talk to his manager. 5.) I don’t want to engage in any debates with them. 5.) would like to hear from fellow GX owners, especially L certified warranty experiences!

Thanks,
Vikram.
The repair would be covered under warranty. However, they still have to call in and get approval which is routine process. Once they get approval, which typically takes 10 minutes over the phone, they can order parts and perform the repairs.
Bhairav (05-05-22)
Old 08-17-22, 06:13 PM
Ohio460
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New purchase and I need some advice

Hey everyone, I first want to thank you in advance for your help and feedback. I am new to this forum but the members on here seem very knowledgeable. I just purchased a used 2015 gx460, it has around 39k miles and is the premium package. It has all the safety features and options. The vehicle is extremely clean and was very maintained, also the mileage is super low for the year. I really wanted a new gx460 but I could not find any for sale locally. So here is the question. I think I got a good deal on the vehicle and they offered me an extended warranty. It’s though Lexus, I believe it’s called a platinum lexus care package or something like that. So for 3 years it’s 2600 and for 5 years it’s 4k. It covers everything like a full bumper to pumper warranty would. Here is the issue, this is a 5th vehicle for the house and might be driven 2-3k miles a year. Is it worth spending the money on the warranty or not, obviously I would not want to but I do have funds to cover any repairs if I decided against the warranty. They told me I need to notify them by tomorrow at the latest if I want to add the warranty. I would greatly appreciate any feedback and also what are some major concerns I need to worry about with these vehicles. Thanks again.
Old 08-17-22, 06:36 PM
Pzoom
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I’ve only bought a warranty on one car (BMW) because of their terrible reliability. It was a fun car, but the odds were it was going to break.

The GX seems to have amazing reliability and I felt no need to even consider any warranty. Plus I am planning to only drive it about 5K miles a year. However, my bank offered me a 7yr/70K warranty for $1600! Covers everything w/no deductible. Even my loan officer had to double check since it was so cheap. Anyway I took it.
Old 08-17-22, 09:08 PM
CFAI
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ohio460
Hey everyone, I first want to thank you in advance for your help and feedback. I am new to this forum but the members on here seem very knowledgeable. I just purchased a used 2015 gx460, it has around 39k miles and is the premium package. It has all the safety features and options. The vehicle is extremely clean and was very maintained, also the mileage is super low for the year. I really wanted a new gx460 but I could not find any for sale locally. So here is the question. I think I got a good deal on the vehicle and they offered me an extended warranty. It’s though Lexus, I believe it’s called a platinum lexus care package or something like that. So for 3 years it’s 2600 and for 5 years it’s 4k. It covers everything like a full bumper to pumper warranty would. Here is the issue, this is a 5th vehicle for the house and might be driven 2-3k miles a year. Is it worth spending the money on the warranty or not, obviously I would not want to but I do have funds to cover any repairs if I decided against the warranty. They told me I need to notify them by tomorrow at the latest if I want to add the warranty. I would greatly appreciate any feedback and also what are some major concerns I need to worry about with these vehicles. Thanks again.
If you are only driving 2-3 thousand miles a year then at year 12 of the car will only have 55k on the clock. Doesn't sound like a lot of wear. Also that seems like a ***** ton of money for those 15k miles. Even if you sell your GX at the end of 5 years with just $6k depreciation (it will likely be much more), with $4 prem gas you are looking at about a $1 a mile - not including insurance, oil changes, tires if needed etc. - to drive the GX.
I don't think I would get the warranty given how little you drive, and how much per mile you will have to pay, and I am a guy who only buys CPO's and got the extended 3 year warranty on top of that for my GX.
Old 08-19-22, 08:48 AM
LFZWest
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Every vehicle will have issues. So, I always get the extended warranty from Toyota.

But I don't buy them from the dealer as the mark up is too high. Contact Jerry and get a quote

Jerry Johnson

Phone 800-530-5789

Cell 620-664-8844

Email jerryj@midwestsuperstore.com
mello03 (08-19-22)
Old 08-19-22, 11:28 AM
jlficken
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Lexus Extra Care Platinum thoughts

I'm trying to decide if I want to purchase the extended warranty plan for my 2022 GX. I had one on my 4Runner and currently have one on our RAV4 but didn't get it with the GX initially as the selling dealer's prices were crazy.

With how much I drive the 8yr/75K mile warranty would be more than adequate and seems to be the best priced option at $1865.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether or not it's worth it or if it's offered from another dealer cheaper?
Old 08-19-22, 12:25 PM
CFAI
Advanced

Up to you if it is worth it. I will point out that the powertrain warranty is 6 years 70k miles. So unless you fear other systems failing earlier, than you will just have up to 2 years extra coverage on the powertrain (and depending on your milage it might be much less than that). I guess the head unit could fail and that would around 8k or so based on what I have seen here.
Not to be a hypocrite since I have bought CPOs and for the GX I got an extra VSA on it - but that was bc even though the GX had good maint history, it was 6 years old, and so I really didn't know how it was treated over those years. Also the warranty pushed it out to mid way through year 12, where things are more likely to go wrong, but yours is from the factory, and has no history, and will only cover through year 7.
My experience with my other two CPO lexus was that in years 8 through 10 in the age of the car I found I needed to spend a fair bit, so for the GX I got the extension deeper into its life. Year 8, prob won't see anything major that didn't already happen under the first 6 years under warranty. But, at end of day it is a form of insurance, so up to you if the expected utility of it is worth the cost.
jlficken (08-19-22)
Old 08-19-22, 12:37 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

My main concern is electronic bits failing like the head unit so that's why I was considering it. Most likely I will only put ~5K/yr on the GX as I just don't drive much. I have 4K miles on it now after 9 months, however, 1600 miles of that was helping my parents move so that's not going to happen next year.

I will say though I didn't realize the powertrain warranty was 6yr/70K miles so that does make me rethink the value of the 8yr/75K mile option. I'm not really sure that the 9yr/100K mile option is really worth the increased cost.

ETA: Added pricing to the OP.
Old 08-19-22, 02:13 PM
mello03
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I wouldn’t get one driving that little, but if I did I would shop around as LFZWest proposed.

Quick Reply: Prepaid Maintenance & Extended Warranties - Pricing/Questions/What is covered?