GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Prepaid Maintenance & Extended Warranties - Pricing/Questions/What is covered?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-12, 03:56 AM
zpaul
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you.
I think 6 years or 100k will work great, I know how it works since I drive Toyotas since 1999.
Old 02-09-12, 03:22 PM
kentw
Driver School Candidate

Please let us all know what kind of prices/options you receive. I, too, will be considering an extended warranty in the next couple of years so I am anxious to know what they cost. I remember another thread on this topic where someone recommended Toby at Shrevport Lexus. Would be good to get some competing numbers.
Old 02-09-12, 03:42 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm confused by the answers you have received to your question. Where else are you going to get an extended warranty other than a dealer? Why would you expect that a different dealer would offer a better price than your dealer?

I can understand that when it comes to purchasing the vehicle there are additional factors such as availability, inventory, incentives, etc. that make it worth comparing dealerships. However, an extended warranty has none of these considerations ... it is offered by Toyota through their dealerships and is presumably uniformly available.

Much as I am a free-market capitalist, I think you are wasting your time comparing different Toyota or Lexus dealerships. However, if you would consider a non-Toyota warranty you would likely get better prices. Whether you would get a better extended warranty is an open question!
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. We bought the extended warranty on the Lexus we owned before we traded for our GX. After we traded, we received a check for the pro-rated amount of the unused warranty ... no questions asked. If I was to offer advice from our experience it would be to wait until you are at the 48th month or the 49 thousandth mile before you buy ... why pay for something you won't use until either of those limits are exceeded?

Last edited by SaniDel; 02-09-12 at 05:32 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-10-12, 10:08 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SaniDel

It is offered by Toyota through their dealerships and is presumably uniformly available.
SaniDel, The prices are definitely negotiable, however.

~ Cap
Old 02-10-12, 11:39 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Sanidel,

As Capirato said, the prices are negotiable and definitely different depending on where you get the warranty. Retail price for the extended warranty is a good bit higher than the price I quoted. The dealer I listed above is one that I used and there are other dealers that are mentioned on this forum that are very close in price (I called all of them but felt Jerry Johnson had the best service). I also agree with you that I would wait to get the extended warranty at the end of the factory warranty. I bought my extended warranty on my 2008 GX470 the day before the four year anniversay of my purchase with 49k on the odometer (of course I got my money back in full because I traded it in on a new GX).
Old 02-10-12, 12:36 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by Capirato
SaniDel, The prices are definitely negotiable, however.

~ Cap
Not what I had expected, but glad to hear that they are ... especially if you can negotiate a better price at a distant dealership, yet still get warranty service at your local dealership. It's practical and beneficial when shopping for a new vehicle to compare prices at distant dealerships as they can arrange vehicle swaps, etc. It is not so good when you need warranty service, i.e., your vehicle has a problem and may be inoperable ... the closest dealership is not only the best, but possibly the only choice!
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. Not to hijack the thread, which is about OEM Extended Warranty, but our local dealership has done so much for us (Lexus loaners, vehicle pickup and delivery for service even when we are gone, vehicle starting during extended absences ... not to mention numerous rescues for non-start situations) that I wouldn't consider taking my business elsewhere, regardless of cost savings. With only one vehicle since 1996 we are all about reliability and dependability ... not only the vehicle, but also the dealership.

Those with more than one vehicle have more options ...
Old 02-10-12, 12:45 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by patgilm
Sanidel,

As Capirato said, the prices are negotiable and definitely different depending on where you get the warranty. Retail price for the extended warranty is a good bit higher than the price I quoted. The dealer I listed above is one that I used and there are other dealers that are mentioned on this forum that are very close in price (I called all of them but felt Jerry Johnson had the best service). I also agree with you that I would wait to get the extended warranty at the end of the factory warranty. I bought my extended warranty on my 2008 GX470 the day before the four year anniversay of my purchase with 49k on the odometer (of course I got my money back in full because I traded it in on a new GX).
You did even better! When we traded our 2006 RX 400h for the 2010 GX460 we were approximately six months beyond 48 months, but still under 50,000 miles. We received a check for the unused portion of the extended warranty, but we should have asked for it all ... as you did!
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 02-10-12, 02:04 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by kentw
Please let us all know what kind of prices/options you receive. I, too, will be considering an extended warranty in the next couple of years so I am anxious to know what they cost. I remember another thread on this topic where someone recommended Toby at Shrevport Lexus. Would be good to get some competing numbers.
You can also check with Troy Dietrich Greenfield Toyota 413-772-0231

Troy or Jerry Johnson have the best prices I've seen...
Old 02-10-12, 06:16 PM
zpaul
Driver School Candidate

Thank you guys!
The prices are different for sure from my previous experiences. Toyota dealer wouldn't move from $1200 for 75k for my Tundra Truck, however trough recommendations on Tundra forum it was $750.
So I may end up buying from a dealer but at least I can negotiate better.
Another thing is that not all Toyota Dealers can sell Lexus warranty.
Will update for sure. Just want to squeeze a little more before I give up my cash
Old 02-11-12, 05:57 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

One more consideration, which we learned the hard way. An extended warranty is not identical in all respects to the original factory warranty. We discovered this when the Lexus we traded for our GX wouldn't start and had to be taken into the dealership. The original factory warranty would pay for the vehicle to be transported on a flat-bed truck, but the extended warranty would not.

Fortunately, we are AAA members and they paid for it to be transported and the extended warranty paid for it to be repaired.
Regards,

SaniDel

Last edited by SaniDel; 02-11-12 at 06:01 AM.
Old 06-08-13, 09:09 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb Extended warranty?

Does Lexus offer an extended warranty (not 3rd party)

did anyone get it for their gx460? and how much and what does it cover?
Old 06-09-13, 05:57 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, they have an excellent program. I purchased the Platinum Zero Deductible Warranty 8/100 but there are others.

http://www.lexusfinancial.com/consum...um_VSA-05A.pdf

It can be purchased from any dealer. Below are a couple of CL threads (there are tons more) and although they are not GX specific I think you'll find them interesting.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ne-30-a-3.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ere-first.html
Old 06-09-13, 09:31 AM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleL
Yes, they have an excellent program. I purchased the Platinum Zero Deductible Warranty 8/100 but there are others.

http://www.lexusfinancial.com/consum...um_VSA-05A.pdf

It can be purchased from any dealer. Below are a couple of CL threads (there are tons more) and although they are not GX specific I think you'll find them interesting.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ne-30-a-3.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ere-first.html
Thanks for the info TripleL. Wondering how much each option costs.

The 3 year/80k miles is a weird one.... Since the standard is 4/50, wonder if that really just gives you a 4/80 on a new vehicle.
Old 06-09-13, 07:29 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by frank69m
Thanks for the info TripleL. Wondering how much each option costs.

The 3 year/80k miles is a weird one.... Since the standard is 4/50, wonder if that really just gives you a 4/80 on a new vehicle.
As noted in one of the above links, call Jerry Johnson at Midwest Toyota for the best price for a factory Lexus extended warranty. The warranty is typically listed as 8 year / 100k miles which is really a 4 year / 50k mile extension of the factory warranty. A warranty like this for this truck is about $2,500 but you should note that the extended warranty doesn't cover everything the original 4 year / 50k warranty covers. Also, unless you are close to the expiration of the original warranty there is no reason to purchase it now. I usually wait until the last week or near the 50k mile mark of the original warranty to purchase the extension since it doesn't make a difference until after that point. Note that you cannot purchase the factory Lexus warranty once the original warranty is up. Also, if you buy the extended warranty and trade it in or sell it you can get a prorated amount of money back based on how much time/mileage has passed.
Old 01-20-14, 12:14 PM
thedon3
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2014 GX- 460 Warranty

I ordered a 2014-GX-460 and should come in about 60 more days. I am looking to purchase a Lexus warranty. Who do you all recommend?
Thanks
Bobby.

Quick Reply: Prepaid Maintenance & Extended Warranties - Pricing/Questions/What is covered?