GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Prepaid Maintenance & Extended Warranties - Pricing/Questions/What is covered?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-16, 06:56 AM
J295
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CPO vs. New Warranty Coverage?

Am I understanding correctly that generally speaking a CPO 2014 or 2015 with modest mileage has a bumper to bumper warranty that exceeds the 4 year/50k mile new car warranty? I'm understanding the CPO warranty is basically unlimited miles for approximately 5 years (on the 2015 and 4 years on the 2014).

How do you experienced buyers determine whether to go new or CPO, recognizing that the price differential between new and one or two year old CPO is somewhat modest.

Thanks for the insights.
Old 01-29-16, 07:49 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts

Not sure what country you are in, however USA Lexus CPO, adds three years 100K miles for certain listed items. The mileage counts towards total on the vehicle, not 100K to you, and the three years starts the moment you buy it as a CPO and it is not transferable. The CPO is not a bumper to bumper, it has special exclusions and inclusions. Look it up on the Lexus CPO site. The four year/50K mile new car warranty is transferable, and will start on the in service date the vehicle was sold. It is a full bumper to bumper.

Randy B
Old 11-22-16, 01:41 PM
dstewart
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Warranty on 2011 GX 460

Hello all. I am new to the forums and this is my first post. My wife and I just purchased a 2011 Lexus GX 460 with 69k miles. I purchased the Hendrick Certified Warranty which covers the powertrain, transmission and drive axle through 2020 or 100k miles. This will cost me an extra $10/mo on a 72 month term. I am also considering getting an extended warranty that will cover steering, suspension, brakes, seals and gaskets, electrical and air conditioning. This covers me for all of these items through 2020 or 120k miles and also extends the powertrain, transmission and drive axle to 120k miles. This extended warranty will cost me an additional ~$30/mo. One last thing to note is with the Hendrick Certified Warranty, I get the first 12 months of warranty coverage for essentially everything on the car (what is covered in the Platinum warranty). So the way I see it for the extended warranty, it boils down to spending $2,160 ($30/mo for 72 months) to get essentially 3 years of coverage (2018-2020 since 2017 is fully covered under the Hendrick Certified Warranty) for the steering, suspension, brakes, seals and gaskets, electrical and air conditioning. Would appreciate your opinions on whether or not I should spend the $30/mo for the extended warranty. For those wondering, the details of the warranty can be found at www.hendrickautoguard.com/mechanical-repair.

Thanks!
Old 11-22-16, 03:13 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Why are you paying for the warranty for 72 months when it expires in 2020?

Edit - Ah you're rolling the warranty into the auto loan.

I typically shy away from aftermarket warranties.

For what it's worth, people tend to buy these Toyota products because they don't need a warranty. But it's up to you.
Old 11-22-16, 04:29 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 891 Likes on 618 Posts

^+1, no need, but if gives you peace of mind do it. I would bet that it will be a lost expense though.
Old 11-26-16, 10:44 AM
dstewart
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the feedback, I decided to not get the extended warranty. The comments and other related threads were very helpful.
Old 03-27-17, 08:23 AM
NoRegrets1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default L/Certified Warranty

I was wondering how everyone feels about the L/Certified Warranty when purchasing a used GX460?

My initial thoughts was that it would give me piece of mind having a warranty for up to six years from the vehicle's original inservice date and having unlimited miles, and be worth the added cost. But then again a warranty is only as good as the dealer being willing to honor it.

I read countless threads on this forum and others, that they bring their Lexus in with a problem and the dealership refuses to fix the issue... simply stating that "this is normal behavior" or "this is within tolerance or spec" blah, blah, blah. But then somehow magically, once you are out of the warranty period they are willing to fix x.y.z problem on "your" dime to the tune of several hundred to thousands of dollars.

This isn't just Lexus, but Mercedes and other makers as well. No different than insurance companies taking all your premiums and not being willing to cover you.

In any case, I'm not bashing on Lexus. I own both Lexus and Avalons and they have been relatively trouble free compared to other brand cars I've had in the past. I was just wondering what your experience has been with L/Certified warranties and if you feel it is worth seeking a 2016/2017 GX460 that has been certified.

Many thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts and experiences.
Old 03-27-17, 08:32 AM
Oldmanb777
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Curious as well. It would be nice if you could find an honest,unbiased,fact based comparisons of auto warrantee's. Who does, and who doesn't stand behind their product. I have my prejudices on the issue, but it's just my personal observation, and so certainly not very accurate. Include the "aftermarket" style extended warrantees as well.
Old 03-27-17, 10:04 AM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

My advice is they are usually a bad idea and there's all sorts of language in there that can give them loopholes, especially on things that are considered "wear items" and normal service, and that's usually where the bills come from.

They're not like a factory warranty where they will usually fix anything without question.

Obviously, the devil is in the details, and the price is a big factor.

But the first 6 years of ownership (so just 2 years outside the factory warranty) I would wager 99.9% of the time the warranty will not pay for itself on a Lexus model.
Old 03-27-17, 02:09 PM
Surfishing
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd read up on the items covered under the L/Certified warranty, it's pretty comprehensive.

If you have specifics information such a s year, mileage and total cost we could give you more of an informed opinion.
Old 03-27-17, 04:09 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by NoRegrets1
But then again a warranty is only as good as the dealer being willing to honor it.
The way you described it, I'm a little confused if you mean an aftermarket one or one from Lexus. Every Lexus dealer should honor the certified ones. But I will say in my experience, they put more "roadblocks" up for the extended warranty, even if its from the factory. But for the most part, they will honor it if it's something black and white.

If we're talking about buying the certified used ones from the Lexus dealership, it's more a question of how much extra are you paying for that vs buying one without it or through a private party. My guess is that usually tacks on around $5,000 plus to the car.

I came close to buying a "certified" GX from the dealership, but the price was so close to a new one that I bought new instead. I just worked out the math of what it would be worth in 3-4 years and I thought new was just a smarter buy.

It's a bit of a gimmick with the unlimited mileage, for most people it's a 2 year/24k mile warranty extension. Most Lexus don't have issues the first 6 years, and any issues have probably been resolved those first 4 years of ownership. So I wouldn't feel uncomfortable in the least being without it. I'd rather have that extra money in the bank instead.

If this was Audi or Mercedes, I would feel differently.
Old 03-27-17, 05:13 PM
NoRegrets1
Driver School Candidate

Hi Brad,

I am referring to the L/Certified warranty. It just seems like many times, it feels like pulling tooth and nail to get the dealership to fix things. They tend to come up with every excuse under the sun to not cover things, saying that "this is normal behavior, or it's within spec, etc."

Was just wondering what kind of experiences those of you have had when having to deal with the L/Certified warranty?

Best wishes.
Old 03-27-17, 05:29 PM
NoRegrets1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Surfishing
I'd read up on the items covered under the L/Certified warranty, it's pretty comprehensive.

If you have specifics information such a s year, mileage and total cost we could give you more of an informed opinion.

Thank you Surfishing. The one I had my eye on has sold already... so am on the lookout for another as we speak. Next week I will be seeing what I can get a new one for as well. Trying to figure which route is better. New with zero miles, or a one year old with low miles that is L/Certified.
Old 03-27-17, 07:53 PM
Oldmanb777
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Paying the "Toyota tax" is usually a tuff one. When you look at it, more often than not, they want so much for the used one, that it makes sense to buy new. I'm not a new car buyer, always let the other guy pay that huge depreciation on the new. But with Toyota, its hard to find a used at a proper price. So new makes sense. Do the math, depreciation and miles and year, and compare it to new. After doing that a bit, we bought new. Even harder on the more popular models, like 4 Runner, or Tacoma, and the LX/Land cruiser. Good luck with whatever you decide.
The following users liked this post:
NoRegrets1 (03-29-17)
Old 03-28-17, 06:26 AM
Bluto
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NoRegrets1
Thank you Surfishing. The one I had my eye on has sold already... so am on the lookout for another as we speak. Next week I will be seeing what I can get a new one for as well. Trying to figure which route is better. New with zero miles, or a one year old with low miles that is L/Certified.
Use TrueCar or another competitive service to get the best price on a new one in your area. I used the TrueCar price to make a deal on a Certified GX. The Lexus CPO warranty is an extended warranty purchased from Lexus by the dealer for a vehicle, so it increases the price. The best places to look for 2016-17 with low miles, un-certified, will be other luxury brand dealer's used vehicles.
The following users liked this post:
NoRegrets1 (03-29-17)

Quick Reply: Prepaid Maintenance & Extended Warranties - Pricing/Questions/What is covered?