GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Check system lights BSM, Head lights, ABS. Help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-21, 07:11 PM
Brugada
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Check system lights BSM, Head lights, ABS. Help needed.

Did a couple mods today including a BMC in anticipation of bigger tires with more offset. I disconnected the battery prior to welding the frame. I also was thinking about doing a spacer on the front strut to retain the air suspension and level the ride. I didn’t get too far as I couldn’t get the harness of the top of the drivers side strut. I did disconnect the sway bar on the driver side as well as the upper control arm and the ABS bracket. I decided I’m just going to order a lift instead and get rid of the air system. Anyways when I was done with everything I started the car back up and now I’m getting multiple errors on my dash. It keeps flashing “check headlight system, check BSM system” and the traction control and ABS lights are on. I tried unplugging reconnecting the strut harness as well as disconnecting the battery. Everything works on the car still and drives like normal. Does anyone have any ideas about what I could have messed up? Are there any sensors on the front driver side that could cause all of these error codes to occur? I didn’t see much else using search. Thanks in advance. Surely someone has to have run across this issue.
Old 08-13-21, 08:18 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,668 Likes on 2,401 Posts

If nothing physical is obviously bad IMO will need to pull codes with Techstream or my recommendation OBD Link or Fusion.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...and-gx460.html

Old 08-16-21, 07:44 PM
Brugada
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Acrad
If nothing physical is obviously bad IMO will need to pull codes with Techstream or my recommendation OBD Link or Fusion.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...and-gx460.html
checked via fusion and there are no codes. Nothing to check or clear. So weird.
Old 08-16-21, 09:04 PM
gonzylc
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be over extended ABS lines.

The Same lights came on after I installed my lift. I thought I was careful during install but not careful enough.
I forget the exact code but it was Calling for wheel speed sensors I replaced them and still nothing. Then replaced the ABS lines and all my lights were off.
The following users liked this post:
Brugada (08-17-21)
Old 08-17-21, 01:25 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,668 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Did you purchase the Toyota/Lexus expansion pack for Fusion as well to read all of the extended codes?
Brugada (08-17-21)
Old 08-17-21, 07:52 AM
Brugada
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Acrad
Did you purchase the Toyota/Lexus expansion pack for Fusion as well to read all of the extended codes?
no I will do that. I’m pretty sure I overstretched the ABS wire on the drivers side. I was in a rush and forgot to take off the securing bracket. This must be the issue as I didn’t mess with anything else on the truck. Thanks.
Old 08-17-21, 07:55 AM
Brugada
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gonzylc
Could be over extended ABS lines.

The Same lights came on after I installed my lift. I thought I was careful during install but not careful enough.
I forget the exact code but it was Calling for wheel speed sensors I replaced them and still nothing. Then replaced the ABS lines and all my lights were off.
this is very helpful. So same sequence of codes? ABS, traction control lights, BSM check and headlight check? The only side I messed with was the drivers side. I definitely put some tension on the ABS line by forgetting to disconnect the bracket before dropping the UCA and likely sheared or damaged one of the wires inside. I will take it off, cut open the line and attempt to repair. If that doesn’t work I’ll just order a new line.
Old 08-17-21, 08:29 AM
gonzylc
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brugada
this is very helpful. So same sequence of codes? ABS, traction control lights, BSM check and headlight check? The only side I messed with was the drivers side. I definitely put some tension on the ABS line by forgetting to disconnect the bracket before dropping the UCA and likely sheared or damaged one of the wires inside. I will take it off, cut open the line and attempt to repair. If that doesn’t work I’ll just order a new line.

Yep all those I bet you over extended the ABS line. It happens alot with the 5th gen 4runners when people install lifts, the line seems to be pretty fragile.
I disconnected mine when I did my lift and some how damaged it.
Brugada (08-17-21)
Old 08-17-21, 10:05 AM
Brugada
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gonzylc
Yep all those I bet you over extended the ABS line. It happens alot with the 5th gen 4runners when people install lifts, the line seems to be pretty fragile.
I disconnected mine when I did my lift and some how damaged it.
this was the issue, thank you very much for your input. I really didn’t want to take it to the dealership and I knew it had to be something simple. And for anyone who has this issue in the future—the outer black casing on the wire may appear normal and okay. I looked for the flat spots in my wire after disconnecting it. There were 3 potential problem areas that looked crimped but the wire itself felt fine. I carefully used a razor blade to dissect the wire at these places. The first section looked okay but as I opened up the second I could see the both the black and white wires were damaged and twisted. I stripped the ends and soldered them back together and used electrical tape to cover them and reinstalled the wire. Sure enough all my lights were off expect for traction control. After driving about 100 feet it also went off. Problem solved. Thank you for all of your help. Hopefully this will be useful for anyone who has the same issue. I did repair my wire because I wanted to test and make sure this was the issue but I did order a replacement for $57 just because my OCD won’t accept my home repair job haha. But it would probably be perfectly fine without replacing.

GXLUX (08-20-21)