GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

is it worth getting Luxury package over premium

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-21, 09:51 PM
THE350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is it worth getting Luxury package over premium

hi guys does anyone know the ride quality difference between the luxury and premium pack on the gx460?
and is there any difference in the leather between the two packages?
Old 08-20-21, 12:20 AM
aabassi
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by THE350
hi guys does anyone know the ride quality difference between the luxury and premium pack on the gx460?
and is there any difference in the leather between the two packages?
i can’t comment on the ride quality of the premium, but in theory it should ride better since it’s running air suspension. Additionally, luxury does come with real semi aniline leather, whereas premium comes with the synthetic Lexus leather, which could be a pro or con depending on how you see it. I personally really like the synthetic lexus leather.
Old 08-20-21, 06:31 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 605 Likes on 366 Posts

Ride quality is subjective so I would go test drive both to determine if you can 1) tell the difference and if you can 2) do you care.
We got a Luxury because we found a smoking deal on a pampered used one we couldn't pass it up. I do admit owning it now for almost 3 years it's a pure joy to drive and to be able to toggle between suspension damping modes depending what is happening (cornering, rr track crossing, speed bumps in parking lot, highway driving, light trail runs), The adjustable ride height has also come in handy several times getting in to and around tight parking garages and manuevering on some offroad trails at low speed (note the height adjustments only work < 15mph I think... so regardless the setting after you speed up it goes back to neutral setting)....
The above said, if I was buying new I think I would go for the premium from a long long term ownership standpoint. I'm fearing the day a shock fails and needs replaced because they're not cheap to replace OEM and pulling out the airbags is a pain to bypass the leveling system with conventional setup... these failures may never happen because the GX is uber reliable but they are possible and can come to be a headache when they do. Ultimately the premium is less prone to these electrical/ pneumatic failures and ultimately easier to replace components if long term ownership is your thing.

Last edited by nuclearn8; 08-20-21 at 07:23 AM.
Old 08-20-21, 08:43 AM
GXLUX
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by nuclearn8
Ride quality is subjective so I would go test drive both to determine if you can 1) tell the difference and if you can 2) do you care.
We got a Luxury because we found a smoking deal on a pampered used one we couldn't pass it up. I do admit owning it now for almost 3 years it's a pure joy to drive and to be able to toggle between suspension damping modes depending what is happening (cornering, rr track crossing, speed bumps in parking lot, highway driving, light trail runs), The adjustable ride height has also come in handy several times getting in to and around tight parking garages and manuevering on some offroad trails at low speed (note the height adjustments only work < 15mph I think... so regardless the setting after you speed up it goes back to neutral setting)....
The above said, if I was buying new I think I would go for the premium from a long long term ownership standpoint. I'm fearing the day a shock fails and needs replaced because they're not cheap to replace OEM and pulling out the airbags is a pain to bypass the leveling system with conventional setup... these failures may never happen because the GX is uber reliable but they are possible and can come to be a headache when they do. Ultimately the premium is less prone to these electrical/ pneumatic failures and ultimately easier to replace components if long term ownership is your thing.
Agree with everything here (got a good deal myself on a CPO car etc etc) and would add, if you have any OCD about blanked out controls and switches, the Lux is the way to go.
Also, towing with the stock air suspension is better than the stock springs, though the springs can be improved with aftermarket help.

The long term owner issues are true, there is more to go wrong in a Lux than a premium, but these are very well build rigs. About the best you can get if you really think about it.
If you are looking to fill every spot on the console with a switch and splurge a little, I highly recommend it.
Old 08-20-21, 12:19 PM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

I test drove both lux and premium, and opted for the premium because :

1. I really couldn’t tell a significant difference in the drive/ride quality.

2. The premium had lower miles, still had (has) factory warranty, and I liked the color ( blue over the white in the lux ).

3. One less thing to possibly break.

4. Only the rear is adjustable, and I don’t really ever see myself using it ( or so I think )

That said, I do agree with the ‘blank switches bother me’ theory lol.. But, you can always fill’em later!

I have no ‘regerts’ ( ) !!
The following users liked this post:
GX95030 (08-20-21)
Old 08-20-21, 01:37 PM
S2k4
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Adaptive Cruise Control is a nice feature in the Luxury. That was one of the differences on a 2016. May not be on a 2022. The new 360 camera system rocks. You can get the off-road package on the Luxury. And there is indeed a difference in ride quality when changing from the three settings.

I would rather the 18 wheels, however. The Luxury forces you to opt for the F wheels if you want 18s over the 19s.

Last edited by S2k4; 08-23-21 at 02:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JayPixelGX (08-20-21)