GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

LC200 vs. GX460

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-23, 11:05 AM
jonshonda
Intermediate

Received 149 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by SC3coupe
I agree 100%, saying GX/TR is too "small" is just a 1st world problem. Myself guilty of that.
I have always been a smaller vehicle type even though I have a larger stature. Had civic's, integras, CRV, then the GX470 and onto the GX460. We have a Honda Fit, Miata, and the GX. With the KDSS the GX corners a hell of a lot better then the 470 w/o KDSS, like night and day difference. But it's no Honda Fit when you want to just buzz around in a hurry.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy driving all three and appreciate their individual qualities. I also really prefer working out of a utility trailer vs the bed of a truck as well. Way less worrying about scratches and dents, I can haul more in the trailer, and it's much lower to the ground so getting stuff in/out is much easier.
The following users liked this post:
Specialeyes (10-02-23)
Old 10-02-23, 12:36 PM
TEQLC
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey OP, love the honesty!! I did the opposite. I came from a 2020 Heritage Edition LC, to this 2023 GX 460. I haven't looked back!! I agree with all your points, and thought I would add some. The shifting issues known to LC 200's had me going crazy.(call me OCD) The "finickyness" of gears 1,2,and 3 had me wanting to drive it off a bridge. Coasting to a stoplight, the light turns green, I give it gas, and it hesitates. Every time! Does yours have this issue? LC's steering wheel felt too skinny and slippery, compared to my past 4Runners and such. Think 1970's steering wheels. lol. The only thing I miss is the "heritage of the Land Cruiser/ owning it".

Last edited by TEQLC; 10-02-23 at 01:42 PM.
Specialeyes (10-02-23)
Old 10-02-23, 12:38 PM
TEQLC
Driver School Candidate

Oh, I did own a 2023 TRD Pro 4runner in Solar Octane for 3 months in between. . Just in case the 4Runner guys chime in.
Old 10-02-23, 12:56 PM
TEQLC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Specialeyes
The LX is not a fair comparison. Being a Lexus it too has a nicer interior than its Toyota brethren. (The actual Land Cruiser 200, not the LX 570). I can only compare to the '22-'23 model GX's but putting those up against my LC Heritage Edition they are a clear step up on interior materials and touch points. This isn't to say the LC has a rubbish interior, just that you can tell it's a Toyota when inside. Fake wood trim, lots of plastic, no double pane glass, etc. Fit and finish is nice though. Everything nice and snug. When it comes to Toyota it really is their best in that department until you step up to Lexus.
This is spot on!!! I've owned both, Lexus vehicles are really on another level.
Old 10-02-23, 07:21 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TEQLC
This is spot on!!! I've owned both, Lexus vehicles are really on another level.
Well, you know what, I watched that Youtube car care nut, he said the LC and LX are the same, but it seems actual owners like you say they are not.
I think the LX has thicker headliner and thicker window.

This is GX subforum after all so it's going to be biased to say the GX is better.
Old 10-03-23, 05:20 AM
TEQLC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SC3coupe
Well, you know what, I watched that Youtube car care nut, he said the LC and LX are the same, but it seems actual owners like you say they are not.
I think the LX has thicker headliner and thicker window.

This is GX subforum after all so it's going to be biased to say the GX is better.
I'm a Toyota fan boy! Have been most my life. I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea. I loved my Land Cruiser, it was my "dream vehicle" since I was a kid. At 50 years old, I bought it. I couldn't sleep it was so awesome, but it came with many "quirks". These quirks aren't to bash on it, but to just point out.
The Lexus GX does have thicker/ better windows. The buttons for the windows felt better too. And like the OP mentioned, other things that we both agree on. I'm sure it has more insulation in the headliner as well. *example* - I took my GX through our touch-less car wash and couldn't believe how much quieter it was inside compared to my LC.
I will always miss my LC, but at 52 years old, I appreciate the Lexus "difference" inside. (there is one, if just barely in some people's experience)
Not hating on Toyota or the Land Cruiser.
Specialeyes (10-03-23)
Old 10-04-23, 04:31 AM
jonshonda
Intermediate

I'm a Toyota fan boy! Have been most my life. I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea. I loved my Land Cruiser, it was my "dream vehicle" since I was a kid. At 50 years old, I bought it. I couldn't sleep it was so awesome, but it came with many "quirks". These quirks aren't to bash on it, but to just point out.
The Lexus GX does have thicker/ better windows. The buttons for the windows felt better too. And like the OP mentioned, other things that we both agree on. I'm sure it has more insulation in the headliner as well. *example* - I took my GX through our touch-less car wash and couldn't believe how much quieter it was inside compared to my LC.
I will always miss my LC, but at 52 years old, I appreciate the Lexus "difference" inside. (there is one, if just barely in some people's experience)
Not hating on Toyota or the Land Cruiser.
The price difference between equivalent models isn't just because of the badge on the grill then?!?! haha

What I've found is while the underpinnings may be similar or the same, Lexus doesn't mess around with their flagship models when it comes to quality for most things when compared to Toyota. The car care nut points out that while the LC and LX share the 5.7 with the Tundra, there are clear differences in the Japan built motor vs the US built Tundra motor.
The following 2 users liked this post by jonshonda:
Piney1 (12-22-23), TEQLC (10-04-23)
Old 12-22-23, 08:39 PM
clearmysix
Pit Crew

Received 109 Likes on 60 Posts

​​​​​​​I got some of the computers for the radar retrofit on ebay for very cheap. I am going to do it again.
Acrad (12-23-23)
Old 12-22-23, 08:44 PM
clearmysix
Pit Crew

Hey OP, love the honesty!! I did the opposite. I came from a 2020 Heritage Edition LC, to this 2023 GX 460. I haven't looked back!! I agree with all your points, and thought I would add some. The shifting issues known to LC 200's had me going crazy.(call me OCD) The "finickyness" of gears 1,2,and 3 had me wanting to drive it off a bridge. Coasting to a stoplight, the light turns green, I give it gas, and it hesitates. Every time! Does yours have this issue? LC's steering wheel felt too skinny and slippery, compared to my past 4Runners and such. Think 1970's steering wheels. lol. The only thing I miss is the "heritage of the Land Cruiser/ owning it".

Sorry for taking a while to get back to this. I total agree with the steering wheel on the LC200 - WAY TOO THIN. My hands hurt after a long drive whereas on the GX they feel comfortable the entire time. One of my friends has driven both the 2021 LC and my new-to-me 2011 GX - and without prompting told me how much better the GX is to drive. It is not just me - its a real thing.
Old 04-27-24, 03:07 PM
itajan
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clearmysix
Hello everyone,

As the title states, I just wanted to take some time to give my thoughts regarding these two vehicles to help those who may want to cross shop them.

I have now owned both of these. I had a 2011 GX460 that I loved and put a lot of work into to make it a very capable offroader and comfortable daily driver.

I now own a 2021 LC 200 Heritage edition 2-row since July 2021.

I forgive people for saying that they didn't know I got a new car - since they do look somewhat similar.

While I loved my GX460 I always thought I would really love the LC200. It is iconic, has more size, more power, but pretty much on the same suspension system (KDSS).

Here are my pros and cons for the LC200 compared to the GX460:
Pro:
Its larger. I have two kids - this holds their stuff better for trips.
The tailgate: The wife loves to take the kids to the park and sit in the back of the LC200 with the shade from the upper part of the liftgate. Its a perfect feature to have on a SUV
The roof rack: Raised rails are so much better than the flush ones on the GX (this has been fixed with the PRADO rails on the new 2022 GX460 black line edition
The engine: The LC200 5.7L is a much better fit for a large SUV. The GX would often struggle/downshift hard on hills going 80MPH, but the LC200 is able to do it with ease.
Radar cruise: The system on the 2021 LC200 is much more refined compared to the 2011 GX.

Con:
The range/MPG. The LC200 goes about 250-320 miles per tank. This is unacceptable really. A Landcruiser is worthless without gas. The GX had a slightly smaller tank but due to better MPG had a range of 300-375+. I had to install the 40 gallon LRA Aux tank to keep my sanity.
AC seats - these were much better in the GX. I can barely feel them on the LC200.
Plastics: The GX had much higher quality plastics throughout, the LC200 is very noticeably a lower end vehicle
Seat durability: The GX seats looked nearly brand new when I sold it. The LC200 has car seat indentations that don't go away after just a few months of use.
Alternative tire mounting options: GX460 has the Prado rear door retrofit. There isn't a good OEM solution for the spare tire for the LC200 which is an issues for me since I have the 40 gallon LRA tank.
Lack of easily installed rock rails: The GX460 had screw holes in the frame for rails, the LC200 does not and installing aftermarket ones are a pain. I liked having the 4Runner rails on my GX.
Turning radius: Much worse on the LC200 compared to the GX
Parts: The LC200 is rarer and used parts are more expensive.

Otherwise they are VERY similar vehicles.

Hope that helps everyone!

Hi Clearmysix,

​​​​​​Saw you came back to the gx and I'm looking to pick up a 2021 premium. Love the look of the TRD Pro wheels and wider tires but don't want any rubbing. Will keep the suspension stock for now but maybe a 1" lift in the future. Any suggestions on tire size? The GX is real cool.
Old 04-27-24, 05:16 PM
clearmysix
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by itajan
Hi Clearmysix,

​​​​​​Saw you came back to the gx and I'm looking to pick up a 2021 premium. Love the look of the TRD Pro wheels and wider tires but don't want any rubbing. Will keep the suspension stock for now but maybe a 1" lift in the future. Any suggestions on tire size? The GX is real cool.
Best GX tire

BFG KO2 255/75R17 32.1 inch. Not wider but looks beefy enough and very little / no rub depending on wheel used (offset). Load range C in that size so it’s durable but light and softer than range E.
Old 04-30-24, 05:20 AM
jonshonda
Intermediate

Originally Posted by clearmysix
Best GX tire

BFG KO2 255/75R17 32.1 inch. Not wider but looks beefy enough and very little / no rub depending on wheel used (offset). Load range C in that size so it’s durable but light and softer than range E.
I got 60k miles out of my first set and they still had 8/32nd's left. Just make sure they road force balance using finger plates and you'll be golden.