GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2021 LED turn signal conversion - road block

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-22 | 05:03 AM
M4rk
Intermediate

2021 GX. I tested my VLED bulbs without resistors in both the front and rear individually; they hyperflashed.
The following users liked this post:
John00 (01-03-22)
Old 01-03-22 | 09:22 AM
kamikazi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by M4rk
2021 GX. I tested my VLED bulbs without resistors in both the front and rear individually; they hyperflashed.
Bummer, so much for the simple things in life!
Old 01-04-22 | 06:54 PM
tntcandy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tntcandy
I've installed them and so far no issue, but I have not tried to run for 5min plus yet
OK so I decided to test today, and after 3min with the turn signal activated it started to hyperflash, but with a strange pattern, both front and rear did it with same pattern, almost like a morse code
Will make a video of it tomorrow.

So maybe its better with load resistors?
There must be another way to handle it, just have to find it.
Old 01-05-22 | 02:07 AM
hzhao
Racer

Load resistors are pretty much the only options that you have at this point since GX no longer has the sperate flashing unit for the turn signals. Adding resistors is not that much of issues, it is small enough and there is plenty rooms in both front and insider rear combination lights housing.
Old 01-05-22 | 05:52 AM
tntcandy
Intermediate

I ordered 7440 load risistor adapters to test, that way no splicing needed, will post when tested, also will post video later whit the "morse code" flashing
Old 01-05-22 | 06:53 AM
John00
Racer

adding resistors is easy, but not necessary. the bulbs with build in resistors often will hyperflash when they get too hot. can use the plug and play adpater boxes.
Theres also bulb with the inline resistors. just unplug remove old bulb and plug in and place new bulb. not sure theres any need for anything better.

Old 01-05-22 | 06:59 AM
tntcandy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by John00
adding resistors is easy, but not necessary. the bulbs with build in resistors often will hyperflash when they get too hot. can use the plug and play adpater boxes.
Theres also bulb with the inline resistors. just unplug remove old bulb and plug in and place new bulb. not sure theres any need for anything better.
Sorry to say, but if the bulb starts to hyper flash, like in my case, it does not work and another solution is needed, 3min is not that long time as some crossings.
I know the using of turn signals in South Florida is not normal, why would you let others in traffic know what you are intending to do, they are anyway busy with their phones or other non driving activities

I'll try adding load resistors, if problem still exists then I'll just convert back to incandescent bulbs, as per Toyota design
Old 01-05-22 | 07:10 AM
John00
Racer

Originally Posted by tntcandy
Sorry to say, but if the bulb starts to hyper flash, like in my case, it does not work and another solution is needed, 3min is not that long time as some crossings.
I know the using of turn signals in South Florida is not normal, why would you let others in traffic know what you are intending to do, they are anyway busy with their phones or other non driving activities

I'll try adding load resistors, if problem still exists then I'll just convert back to incandescent bulbs, as per Toyota design
Im not sure I understand when you say another solution is needed. A bulb with an inline resistor is not the same as a bulb with a built in resistor. The design with the inline should not hyper flash, it should be the solution. Bulbs with the built in resistors are too low wattage and overheat. this is due to the resistance, not so much the outside temps.
the in line resistors are usually 6ohm 50W, maybe some can try 25W. but the built in are <=10W and will overheat in a few minutes.
Old 01-05-22 | 07:12 AM
John00
Racer

the vehicle can not tell whether the resistance is from a resistor or a filament, so this is the solution, as long as you get the correct ohms and watts.
you can also create a circuit but seems like a waste of time.
and adapters with resistors are the same exact as what you get when getting bulbs with inline resistors
Old 01-05-22 | 07:13 AM
tntcandy
Intermediate

Im not sure I understand when you say another solution is needed. A bulb with an inline resistor is not the same as a bulb with a built in resistor. The design with the inline should not hyper flash, it should be the solution. Bulbs with the built in resistors are too low wattage and overheat. this is due to the resistance, not so much the outside temps.
the in line resistors are usually 6ohm 50W, maybe some can try 25W. but the built in are <=10W and will overheat in a few minutes.
My bad, misunderstood you message, now I get it.

Yes the inline should work no issue. Just hoped not to have to add the "bigger" resistors behind the tail lamps.
Old 01-05-22 | 07:17 AM
John00
Racer

i currently use these. tested 20 mins and no hyper. i do still have the relays but these have enough watts to dissipate the heat.
ive also used the same style with the resistor exposed, also no hyperflash.
post what you end up with so we can also see
Old 01-05-22 | 07:42 AM
tntcandy
Intermediate

i currently use these. tested 20 mins and no hyper. i do still have the relays but these have enough watts to dissipate the heat.
ive also used the same style with the resistor exposed, also no hyperflash.
post what you end up with so we can also see
do you have link to seller?
Old 01-05-22 | 07:56 AM
John00
Racer

Amazon Amazon
they are much brighter than other versions

these are also bright, not as bright as those above. Ive had the front clear lens pop off a couple so i dont use them much anymore. if i do put some of these on, i remove the front clear lens www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HYVT2R4

Old 01-05-22 | 07:57 AM
John00
Racer

bonus with the switchbacks is that you can connect the drl if you want
Old 01-06-22 | 04:21 AM
tntcandy
Intermediate

Hi All

I reached out to Sirius LED in regards to my observations that hey start to hyper flash, and they responded within a day and with no hiding technical details of how they work (description not technical drawing ) which in my eye is a massive plus from a supplier/vendor, unfortunately they basically confirmed what I found by testing them;

Here is he reply

"Sorry to hear that. The RLS/RLK has a built-in resistor which will generate a massive amount of heat while the light is on for a while. In order to control heat dissipation, there is a smart driver to control the power of the bulb. The smart driver till allow the bulb to work full power for 2 mins and dealing this time the led bulb can bypass hyper flashing detection of the flashing relay. After 2 mins the smart will put the bulb on low power mode to let the bulb cool down and you will get hyper flashing. if you want full-time resistor led bulb you need to attach add-on resistor on the turn signal wire to do that. We recommend customers use this led bulb for only turn signal application."

Keep above in mind as most likely all LED's with no inline resistor behaves similar

Again, I'm happy with their reply, not hiding that they know it will potentially hyper flash after longer usage, also there is a user "GXBOB" I think, had a youtube video where he tested them for 5 min no issue, but that was a pre 2020, so it could be that 2020 --> are more sensitive to load resistance.

Quick Reply: 2021 LED turn signal conversion - road block