GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

What should I do with my GX460?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-21, 08:22 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Received 330 Likes on 225 Posts

Agree - no way should OP get a BMW. If going sporty route just get the Porsche and be done with it. Get the Macan. That way OP and GF can do occasional track days together. Dallas is only 3.5 hours (a hellish 3.5 on RT 35, but only 3.5 nonetheless) to COTA in Austin. Seems like a great way spend a weekend together, learn to track drive, and have a friendly competition to who see who is fastest.
Old 11-22-21, 09:09 PM
SamLexRXGX
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

GX is a Luxury work horse in a truck platform. No other manufacturer come close for this price. There are plenty of modifications possible with GX. Toyota Prado(GX) is world famous for its reliability. You can do towing with style, offroad with out tired, still cruise in the high way smooth. All in one package. To save money you can buy a well maintained used GX. Boring has an advantage here cost wise.
End of the day its your money and spend on what you enjoy...
The following users liked this post:
reggie1906 (11-23-21)
Old 11-23-21, 07:06 AM
schwein
Pit Crew

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

I would find an exhaust shop in town to do a custom cat-back exhaust, pick your muffler of choice for sound, I dont know of any headers you can get, maybe elsewhere in the world but that'll give you some more exhaust note. In terms of the suspension / fun factor I would try to find some 8.5 inch wide wheels that are not too gaudy as someone else posted here, then swap out the suspension with something from Eibach or another vendor with good support, by lifting int 1.5-2 inches you'll have room for some pretty good sized tires and will make the whole vehicle look much more beefy. try that, you could probably do the whole shabang for like $6,500, short money compared to buying a new vehicle.
Old 11-23-21, 05:10 PM
John00
Racer

Received 376 Likes on 287 Posts

the gx is too slow, so when the fastest truck is brought up, its too ugly.
but you did mention a mod list, i think theres one here https://lexusgxor.com
it seems more mixed than i remember, but you can go through the list and see a bunch of things you can do
Old 11-23-21, 08:55 PM
reggie1906
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The GX is a classic vehicle

The GX460 was just named the most reliable car and such in America. I don't need it to be fast or sexy. I just need it to be reliable.
The following 2 users liked this post by reggie1906:
John00 (11-25-21), ukcats (11-28-21)
Old 11-27-21, 01:59 PM
C7GS
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CFAI
Agree - no way should OP get a BMW. If going sporty route just get the Porsche and be done with it. Get the Macan. That way OP and GF can do occasional track days together. Dallas is only 3.5 hours (a hellish 3.5 on RT 35, but only 3.5 nonetheless) to COTA in Austin. Seems like a great way spend a weekend together, learn to track drive, and have a friendly competition to who see who is fastest.
I have a membership at ECR. Actually, the GF's Macan came with a free porsche track day at ECR. I told her to stay the hell away from my sanctuary :lol: I need to get back out there, but this was about 2 months ago:

I've driven COTA in my C7 Corvette. It was fun to do once, but unless you have a real high hp car you want to drive super hard without any car about flogging the chit out of it (engine and brakes), I prefer the local clubs. Those long straights and brutal braking zones are just more than I care to put my car through, and I dont need any more straights. I hit 153ish in the Vette. I hit about 120 or so at ECR. That's plenty for me.
COTA is also just a huge track. I feel like an ant on it. Plus way more walls, though it's still pretty safe, relative to most tracks. In the end, it was made for 900hp, super lightweight karts with tons of downforce. Club tracks were made for sports cars.

...plus I already pay for ECR. COTA is like $500 a day- maybe more IIRC.

Originally Posted by schwein
I would find an exhaust shop in town to do a custom cat-back exhaust, pick your muffler of choice for sound, I dont know of any headers you can get, maybe elsewhere in the world but that'll give you some more exhaust note. In terms of the suspension / fun factor I would try to find some 8.5 inch wide wheels that are not too gaudy as someone else posted here, then swap out the suspension with something from Eibach or another vendor with good support, by lifting int 1.5-2 inches you'll have room for some pretty good sized tires and will make the whole vehicle look much more beefy. try that, you could probably do the whole shabang for like $6,500, short money compared to buying a new vehicle.
Any recommended lifts? I probably want the least amount of lift (2.5?") with the firmest suspension. I dont really care how offroad capable it is. Track mentioned above actually has an offroad track now, but I doubt I'll go on it. Would be kinda cool though.
Will all same generation 4Runner lifts be compatible with the GX?

Last edited by C7GS; 11-27-21 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11-30-21, 12:23 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Take the GX on a twisty mountain road. It's more fun than you think or know what it is capable of. It aint gonna handle like a BMW, but its fun to master a car not meant to be driven that way and its more fun to drive a slow car fast, no?
Old 01-08-22, 12:21 PM
C7GS
Driver School Candidate

Well, this worked out very strangely.
My GX got stolen!
Then I got covid on vacation and stuck in canada for 2 weeks. While I was there I bought a white 2016 with 70k miles. Looks like it was very well maintained.

I'll probably add some black or gunmetal wheels and knobby tires and call it good.

After deductible, I'm probably out $12-13k but I get 30k less miles and it's 4 years newer. Not exactly the upgrade I was looking for, but it's just best vehicle for my needs. It won't depreciate nearly as much as anything else, it's reliable- so I can have a very impractical car for my second car.

Anyone have suggestions for wheels/tires at stock height
MrTorgue (01-08-22)
Old 01-08-22, 03:36 PM
MrTorgue
Instructor

Received 354 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by C7GS
Well, this worked out very strangely.
My GX got stolen!
Then I got covid on vacation and stuck in canada for 2 weeks. While I was there I bought a white 2016 with 70k miles. Looks like it was very well maintained.

I'll probably add some black or gunmetal wheels and knobby tires and call it good.

After deductible, I'm probably out $12-13k but I get 30k less miles and it's 4 years newer. Not exactly the upgrade I was looking for, but it's just best vehicle for my needs. It won't depreciate nearly as much as anything else, it's reliable- so I can have a very impractical car for my second car.

Anyone have suggestions for wheels/tires at stock height
Get a pedal commander. It’s worth it and will improve the driving experience without dropping thousands of $$$ on what little performance mods we have for 460’s.
gfcipriani (11-30-22)
Old 01-10-22, 03:58 PM
C7GS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MrTorgue
Get a pedal commander. It’s worth it and will improve the driving experience without dropping thousands of $$$ on what little performance mods we have for 460’s.
It's really shocking that there are so many of these cars and no one makes any kind of performance parts for it. I'd love a small (5psi) supercharger. The GX with 400hp would be perfect.
Old 01-10-22, 04:54 PM
MrTorgue
Instructor

Received 354 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by C7GS
It's really shocking that there are so many of these cars and no one makes any kind of performance parts for it. I'd love a small (5psi) supercharger. The GX with 400hp would be perfect.
Almost all owners of these new are older folks and don’t care about such things. Why else did Toyota keep them the same for nearly a dozen years! LOL

I’d settle for a cam, intake manifold, exhaust manifold and a tune. That should get to 400 brake horsepower pretty easy.
The following 2 users liked this post by MrTorgue:
CFAI (01-10-22), Seanzky (01-10-22)
Old 01-10-22, 05:42 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Received 330 Likes on 225 Posts

Almost all owners of these new are older folks and don’t care about such things. Why else did Toyota keep them the same for nearly a dozen years! LOL

I’d settle for a cam, intake manifold, exhaust manifold and a tune. That should get to 400 brake horsepower pretty easy.
Not sure about older, but they are a dime a dozen up around Lakeway TX where I got ours used and they are def not driven by auto enthusiasts.
Old 01-10-22, 07:58 PM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Received 207 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm a car guy and on the younger side of the demographics, but I understand exactly what MrTogue means. It's what actually drew me to a GX.

As for OP, that sucks that yours got stole but glad it worked out.
Old 11-29-22, 04:38 AM
detrouge
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
Ditch the garbage stock shocks and install Bilstein's ... significant improvement in steering response, body roll and overall handling, reduced brake dive ... etc. The ride is firm-comfortable ... meaning that you will actually feel connected to the road versus the land-yacht stock shocks that cater to the "couch potato" crowd. Also get 8.0 or 8.5 inch wide rims to eliminate the significant sidewall bulge with the (too narrow) 7.5 inch "Toyota" OEM wheels ... and also go with an increased negative offset so the edge of the tire tread is in close vertical alignment with the edge of the fender flare. These changes will make the driving dynamics significantly more engaging.
Spoiler

Old 11-29-22, 07:43 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,067 Likes on 711 Posts

Sell it and buy a Tesla Model Y or X if you have the coin. And I say this as someone who isn’t a necessarily a Tesla fan. You will never like the GX so better get what you can for it now while prices are high. Just being a realist. Also, it was the best thing to ever happen to you that you didn’t get that BMW. If you’re dead set on buying German get a Porsche Taycan or Cayenne.
Yes .. sell and support Elon Musk ... who is in the process of destroying Twitter because he thinks he bought a "Brand" versus a company where the talented employees (actually) represent the company valuation. He is an absolute moron. There are other EV options at this point ... so why support someone who's impulses represent both corporate and social irresponsibility ? He has absolutely no respect for anything that does not support his immature impulses. He deserves to destroy his (financially stupid) $44-Billion investment in Twitter. Beyond that ... Tesla does not have very good long-term reliability ratings ... so why go there for all reasons ?

Last edited by ASE; 11-29-22 at 11:16 AM.

Quick Reply: What should I do with my GX460?