Upgrading from RX to GX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-21, 12:46 PM
Lex918
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Upgrading from RX to GX?

My family would be happy with a van.
But I think a GX would be a nice alternative.

Should I trade in my 2017 RX450h for a 2017 GX460?

Is there enough room in the rear row?
Is the GX as reliable as the RX?

Give me your thoughts?

Thanks
Old 12-13-21, 02:06 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

You'll have a ton more room behind the 3rd row of a minivan than a GX. You get maybe 9" behind the 3rd row in the GX for storage.
The following users liked this post:
Lex918 (12-14-21)
Old 12-13-21, 02:07 PM
ChrisPh
Driver

Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex918

Give me your thoughts?

Thanks
I am not sure if it's an "upgrade." The GX and RX are almost the same size in space. GX is V8 and Premium gas, RX is V6 and Regular gas (I compared my GX with my sister RX). The third row in GX is very tiny, it's just good for small kids. Also, if you use the third row, there will be a very small room for cargo space. For the reliability, I think they are about the same. They are both "LEXUS".

Last edited by ChrisPh; 12-13-21 at 02:40 PM.
Lex918 (12-14-21)
Old 12-13-21, 02:40 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by jlficken
You'll have a ton more room behind the 3rd row of a minivan than a GX. You get maybe 9" behind the 3rd row in the GX for storage.
Agree - def get the van. You can get the Toyota Sienna in AWD if you want. I think a fully optioned out Platinum is still less than a base GX. Way more space, way better fuel economy (I think hybrid is like 35 mpg) and for most situations a much better vehicle.
Lex918 (12-14-21)
Old 12-13-21, 03:27 PM
tntcandy
Intermediate

Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts

Give me your thoughts?

Thanks
It all depends on what you are looking for in your car?

We have had a RX330 in 2005, and loved it, but this time when we had to add a car we went with GX, not so much because it more practical, but because we like it. I've always wanted a Land Cruiser Prado since I worked in Japan, but in US we get the GX
We did check for the regular Land Cruiser, but dealers wanted crazy mark up when it was announced that it would be discontinued for US market so went with GX.

No matter how you look at it, a minivan will give you the most for the money cargo wise, but if you like cars, then make sure you get what you want so that you do not want to trade in 3 month after the "honeymoon" time is over
Lex918 (12-14-21)
Old 12-13-21, 04:26 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by tntcandy
It all depends on what you are looking for in your car?

We have had a RX330 in 2005, and loved it, but this time when we had to add a car we went with GX, not so much because it more practical, but because we like it. I've always wanted a Land Cruiser Prado since I worked in Japan, but in US we get the GX
We did check for the regular Land Cruiser, but dealers wanted crazy mark up when it was announced that it would be discontinued for US market so went with GX.

No matter how you look at it, a minivan will give you the most for the money cargo wise, but if you like cars, then make sure you get what you want so that you do not want to trade in 3 month after the "honeymoon" time is over
"My family would be happy with a van." - OP
Get the van, other wise you are messing around with Grand Wagoneer, Yukon etc.
The following 2 users liked this post by CFAI:
GXLUX (12-14-21), Lex918 (12-14-21)
Old 12-13-21, 04:41 PM
mntntrls71
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

I recently got rid of my wifes Rx330 and purchased a GX460 for her. I also have a GX470. The 460 is most defenately an upgrade. No you do not need to run premium gas. Fuel mileage is pretty much the same. The Gx460 is way more comfortable. Last night I had 4 adults in the 460 driving through a park xmas lighting show and the back seaters really liked the room and heated rear seats. I dont regret the change at all. That being said I had to swap the radiator and air bags on the new rig so check it out good and check the service records.
The following 2 users liked this post by mntntrls71:
AirForce8 (12-14-21), Lex918 (12-14-21)
Old 12-13-21, 05:03 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts

Give me your thoughts?

Thanks
I traded in my 2008 RX350 for a new 2022 GX Premium being the main reason to give me a little more cargo space for my hunting trips. The RX and GX are almost identical in specs on length, width, and wheelbase but the GX is 7 inches taller which give it more cubic feet of space behind driver's seat to the back. For a family hauler if you plan to use the third-row seating, I hope your kids are still small as there is not much room for adults. Thye GX has been named as the most reliable vehicle by Consumer Reports, another reason I went from a 13 year old SUV to a new one. As mentioned, the GX requires premium gas where the RX can run on regular. If you plan to take your vehicle off road for hunting, fishing, camping, etc., the GX is true four-wheel truck with a two-speed differential whereas the RX is all wheel drive. I love my new GX but I have only had it for a few days. It drives very smooth, has a luxurious interior and the new infotainment center is a huge upgrade over earlier models. I personally would not trade a 2017 RX for a 2017 GX but for a new 2022 I would jump on it. I know that's not what you stated in your question, but I thought I would throw that out as another thought.
The following 2 users liked this post by catdaddylo:
Jayson (12-23-22), Lex918 (12-14-21)
Old 12-13-21, 07:19 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 705 Posts

Truck (body-on-frame based platform) versus Car (uni-body based platform) ... apples and oranges ... so the comparison beyond the "Lexus" badge stops there. To think otherwise is a huge mistake. Choose your weapon accordingly.
The following 2 users liked this post by ASE:
IanG (12-13-21), Lex918 (12-14-21)
Old 12-14-21, 07:24 AM
sjz
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm going to, respectfully, disagree on the third row seat roominess. For context I have a 2018 premium with bucket seats so that probably helps because of the space between in the middle seats, however even at 6'3" I don't find the back terribly uncomfortable. I can manage hour/hour and a half back there fine, AS LONG AS the middle seats are slid up a bit. So I would get in the back and play around with it. That said, with the 3rd row being used there really isn't much space behind it. The pop-up glass helps to kind of stuff things down behind the seats but its still not great.

**Edited to say the ride will be a bit more ... *stiff* compared to an RX or a minivan. Further I will admit I have an unreasonable bias against minivans.

Last edited by sjz; 12-14-21 at 07:38 AM.
Lex918 (12-14-21)
Old 12-14-21, 09:52 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 705 Posts

... so if using the 3rd row when traveling, the assumption is that you are probably carrying five to seven passengers given the need for a third row. With the 3rd row seats in place ... maybe, just maybe you can fit three (small) overhead compartment suitcases in the space remaining in the "cargo" area behind the 3rd row seats ... RX / GX ... the same. If this is your intended use ... a Mini-Van may better serve your purpose ... unless you like strapping luggage to the roof rack, with the luggage being exposed to both weather and a potential thief when the vehicle is unattended.
Old 12-14-21, 10:20 AM
GXLUX
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

[QUOTE=ASE;11181981] maybe, just maybe you can fit three (small) overhead compartment suitcases in the space remaining in the "cargo" area behind the 3rd row seats ...

They would need to be the size of a woman's purse, but I suppose that would fit.
I think the GX/4Runner Platform was always intended for 4 passengers and their gear, or 6/7 passengers for a short trip with no gear. If you need more than that, you need a Minivan for the streets or a Suburban/Grand Wagoneer/Van size vehicle for the trails and towing that Toyota doesn't really make. The Sequoia is somewhere in the middle between the GX and Suburban, but not the same size.

The following 2 users liked this post by GXLUX:
ASE (12-14-21), Lex918 (12-14-21)
Old 12-14-21, 11:03 AM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 99 Posts

Give me your thoughts?

Thanks
get a mini-van, something used +3yrs
the gx overall isnt that much larger than an rx
it is as reliable, if not better but the money you save in repairs is going to cost you at the pump!
Lex918 (12-14-21)
Old 12-15-21, 08:57 AM
Lex918
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for all the replies.

Sounds like owning an GX will not solve my room issue, best solution would be to purchase a van.

I did enjoy reading everyone's thoughts on this issue. I look forward to upgrading to the next gen GX when it becomes availabe, in the mean time, i'll look for a van to cover the next few years of hauling infant/toddler around.
Old 12-15-21, 09:39 AM
GXLUX
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for all the replies.

Sounds like owning an GX will not solve my room issue, best solution would be to purchase a van.

I did enjoy reading everyone's thoughts on this issue. I look forward to upgrading to the next gen GX when it becomes availabe, in the mean time, i'll look for a van to cover the next few years of hauling infant/toddler around.
You never really said how much room you need.
Is this your first or second child? A GX will be great, as long as you can afford the gas.
Do you have 2 kids now and are expecting your 3rd? Then yes, the GX isn't going to work.

At the 3rd child, all of the advice above applies, but remember- your child will only be small enough for a baby seat for 3 or so years. After that they have about 6 years of fitting wherever you want to put them (Law allowing hehe).
DON'T finance something you hate driving for that 3 year period that you'll end up stuck with for more time than you need it.

Quick Reply: Upgrading from RX to GX?