2022-2023 Tow hitch receiver.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-22, 12:36 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus4321
No aftermarket class-IV's available?

I would perhaps go to a fab shop to have a IV+ made up.
No there aren't.

I don't want to risk having some random homemade hitch on my vehicle if I'm ever towing and get into an accident.
Old 08-16-22, 02:04 PM
mello03
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

My local dealer confirmed the part number jlficken posted. The parts manager said they are building up inventory in the warehouses and they should have them available “soon.” We will see if the part number shakes out, but the manager said he got a communication recently on them.
The following 3 users liked this post by mello03:
jlficken (08-16-22), lostape45 (08-16-22), MikeP1 (09-07-22)
Old 08-16-22, 06:58 PM
Lexus4321
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by jlficken
No there aren't.

I don't want to risk having some random homemade hitch on my vehicle if I'm ever towing and get into an accident.
Made by a real fab shop, is likely 20x better than some robot reaching in and welding 1,000 per day. The mass produced ones are usually just the bare minimum to meet the class spec.

DOM tube and a good fab shop, one that does 4x4 / offroad stuff, would make one that's better than any mass made item.

Or, don't have a hitch at all, because they are not available.
Old 08-16-22, 08:11 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

Made by a real fab shop, is likely 20x better than some robot reaching in and welding 1,000 per day. The mass produced ones are usually just the bare minimum to meet the class spec.

DOM tube and a good fab shop, one that does 4x4 / offroad stuff, would make one that's better than any mass made item.

I have a Curt Class III which is good enough for my use case until the Lexus Class IV is available.

A custom hitch may be better but the liability isn’t with it to me. It also has most likely never been tested.
Old 08-17-22, 07:38 AM
lostape45
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

The point of this thread isn't the aftermarket solutions that may or may not be available, especially local custom made hitches. What we are seeking is the OEM factory Lexus option for the rated 6500lb towing capacity as advertised for the vehicle. Some of us were promised said hitch on a new vehicle that they ordered and then wasn't delivered with any hitch installed due to this "issue" they're having. I can assure you that a custom made fab shop hitch wouldn't be able to accommodate 130,000lbs or 20x more than the factory hitch. Regardless all everyone is seeking is the advertised 6500lb towing capacity and you cannot put a price on OEM dependability for 90% of the people on this forum, myself included.
The following 2 users liked this post by lostape45:
IanG (08-17-22), jlficken (08-17-22)
Old 08-17-22, 10:58 AM
Lexus4321
Instructor

Originally Posted by lostape45
. What we are seeking is the OEM factory Lexus option for the rated 6500lb towing capacity as advertised for the vehicle.
Clarity. Seeking what's not available, and those seeking want to or need to tow.

So, two options,
either keep seeking and don't tow,
or get one made and tow.

Two choices, choose one. Done.

If people are just griping about OEM hitch not being available, then the hitch is likely not even needed, so forget it.

Just my view. Good luck.

I have a Curt Class III which is good enough for my use case until the Lexus Class IV is available.

A custom hitch may be better but the liability isn’t with it to me. It also has most likely never been tested.
Not every CURT is tested, you know that, right. A little bad gas used in the MIG welding could make a weld very badly. And true, a custom made item may not be tested, but a seasoned certified fab'er/weldor knows how to weld.

Last edited by Lexus4321; 08-17-22 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-17-22, 11:05 AM
jlficken
Intermediate

Clarity. Seeking what's not available, and those seeking want to or need to tow.

So, two options,
either keep seeking and don't tow,
or get one made and tow.

Two choices, choose one. Done.

If people are just griping about OEM hitch not being available, then the hitch is likely not even needed, so forget it.

Just my view. Good luck.
You totally missed option 3 which is spending $125 on the Curt Class III in order to be able to tow 5000lbs and get the Lexus Class IV when it's available. This way you still have a manufacturer backing the product (Curt or Lexus) that has performed proper testing rather than some random fab shop that just looks at it and goes "that should be fine". There's no way you're getting a properly tested and certified hitch from a fab shop for under several thousand dollars and there's no way that I could even get one made where I live.
The following users liked this post:
lostape45 (08-18-22)
Old 08-17-22, 12:27 PM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 376 Likes on 209 Posts

I won't argue that a competent fabrication shop can make a trailer hitch equal to or better than the OEM unit, Here are the certification requirements for trailer hitches https://ameca.org/wp-content/uploads...ing-Method.pdf
No fab shop would be able to, or have the equipment to test the hitch as described, their only option would be to get an engineered drawing and certification for the hitch where the engineer & fab shop would be liable if a failure occured. It all boils down to legal liability which the OEM and other certified hitch manufacturers assume.
The following 2 users liked this post by IanG:
jlficken (08-17-22), lostape45 (08-18-22)
Old 08-17-22, 06:13 PM
Elahi1983
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys I got a class 4 hitch now. We decided on this trailer. We have a break controller. We also have a wdh. What do y’all think?

John00 (08-20-22)
Old 08-17-22, 06:33 PM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 376 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Elahi1983
Guys I got a class 4 hitch now. We decided on this trailer. We have a brake controller. We also have a wdh. What do y’all think?
Looks good, now you can start making some great family memories
Old 08-19-22, 12:55 PM
Lexus4321
Instructor

You totally missed option 3 which is spending $125 on the Curt Class III in order to be able to tow 5000lbs and get the Lexus Class IV when it's available. This way you still have a manufacturer backing the product (Curt or Lexus) that has performed proper testing rather than some random fab shop that just looks at it and goes "that should be fine". There's no way you're getting a properly tested and certified hitch from a fab shop for under several thousand dollars and there's no way that I could even get one made where I live.
Yes, the Class-III mini is available.

If a Class-IV is needed, have one made.
Old 08-19-22, 12:59 PM
Lexus4321
Instructor

Originally Posted by IanG
I won't argue that a competent fabrication shop can make a trailer hitch equal to or better than the OEM unit, Here are the certification requirements for trailer hitches https://ameca.org/wp-content/uploads...ing-Method.pdf
No fab shop would be able to, or have the equipment to test the hitch as described, their only option would be to get an engineered drawing and certification for the hitch where the engineer & fab shop would be liable if a failure occured. It all boils down to legal liability which the OEM and other certified hitch manufacturers assume.
In terms of strength, Class-IV is child's play. Basic hitch design, DOM tube, capable MIG weldor. That's all that is needed.

If a Curt Class-III cracks, they'll likely have enough lawyers to say you towed something wrong or was too heavy for the Class-III.
Old 08-20-22, 08:23 AM
John00
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by IanG
even if the shop has an ultimate tensile strength tester they cant actually check the one they will sell by using force on it. Using an Instron or similar will actually cause damage to the part. the remaining useful life will be zero at ultimate tensile strength.
there are other inspection methods but they cost a lot. so sampling is done.
Old 08-22-22, 08:03 AM
JohnTharm
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2
Any insight as to why Lexus would stop selling hitches?
So it turns out the suppliers isnt the issue, there's a design flaw. so lexus doesn't recommend oem for now.

Makes sense that the supplier is not the issue its just a metal welded bracket. If they cant make that no can make anything.
Old 08-22-22, 08:06 AM
jlficken
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JohnTharm
So it turns out the suppliers isnt the issue, there's a design flaw. so lexus doesn't recommend oem for now.

Makes sense that the supplier is not the issue its just a metal welded bracket. If they cant make that no can make anything.
Care to cite your source on this information? Never trust a dealership if that's who told you that. Hell, I've gotten multiple stories from Lexus themselves when I called to inquire where the hitches are at.

If there was a "design flaw" discovered which caused a safety issue and there wasn't a recall issued in almost a year then the NHTSA would crawl so far up Lexus' a$$ in the USA that they'd never be able to remove them.
ASE (08-22-22)

Quick Reply: 2022-2023 Tow hitch receiver.