GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2022-2023 Tow hitch receiver.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-22, 12:28 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by SEELEXUS;[url=tel:11373808
11373808[/url]]As of today (Oct 6), my local Houston Lexus dealer (parts department) confirmed they see the new tow hitch part in the system and they said there are 139 of them being distributed soon (none in the Dallas warehouse as of today). The part number is 08920-48010. They were willing to take my information and prepare an order for me - and they will watch for warehouse delivery (in the past, they wouldn’t take my information (i.e., name, phone, etc.) because they had no legit part number or product in transit).

The new hitch was over $900, before installation.
I called my dealer and he looked it up but said he couldn’t order yet and there are no back orders. The price he gave me was $853 but he didn’t see where it was actually the GX 460 hitch in the system.
Old 10-06-22, 01:11 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

I did just talk to the dealership that has this new part # listed on their website. He advised that he couldn't verify it was for the GX 460 as nothing in the descriptions states that's what it's for and it doesn't start right for a normal part #. He said that this is for a warranty part if anything.

I had him check the PT228-60141 part # and he said that is the Rev 2 hitch for the GX 460 according to the description but it's not currently available or in production.
Old 10-06-22, 03:06 PM
SEELEXUS
Pit Crew

Received 114 Likes on 47 Posts

Only time will tell when (if) we will ever see that replacement Class IV Lexus hitch for the late model GX460s.

I was not able to give the parts guy a credit card (he wouldn’t accept it, yet) - I’m going to call him back sometime after mid-next week.

Old 10-06-22, 04:55 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SEELEXUS;[url=tel:11373886
11373886[/url]]Only time will tell when (if) we will ever see that replacement Class IV Lexus hitch for the late model GX460s.

I was not able to give the parts guy a credit card (he wouldn’t accept it, yet) - I’m going to call him back sometime after mid-next week.

If you really want that part # you can order it from here and use 25OFF to get cheaper shipping.

https://parts.lexusstevenscreek.com/...tch-0892048010

It was $735 shipped to me but I didn’t order as I don’t believe it’s the right part # from what the guy at Toyota corporate told me.

If you want to be the guinea pig and give it a shot let us know what you get 😁
Old 10-07-22, 04:15 AM
SEELEXUS
Pit Crew

That’s why I’m going through and waiting on my local Lexus parts department - gotta make sure it is the correct part before handing over $s. At this point, nothing committed.
Old 10-07-22, 12:35 PM
mello03
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I confirmed the part number PT228-60141 with my local dealership and he said that there are 60 on back order coming into KY distribution center and none available now. He said cost in their system was 585.00. Who knows lol.
Old 10-08-22, 09:18 AM
meitzler
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Question Factory OEM 460 hitch

Has anyone pruchased a 2023 GX460 with the OEM hitch or the dealer installed OEM hitch? If so, can you provide a reference (part number or option number).
Old 10-08-22, 11:28 AM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 376 Likes on 209 Posts

The posts directly above your post list what are believed to be the new part number.
If you read further through this thread you will understand the current situation with the OEM hitch.
The following users liked this post:
Carnevino (10-14-22)
Old 10-10-22, 09:35 AM
SEELEXUS
Pit Crew

Had a call from the local Lexus dealer/parts department this morning - he confirmed the part number is 08920-48010 and the cost is $984.88. He has it in the shop as of this morning. We discussed the PT228-60141 part number and he can also see 60 coming in but none in country at this time.

He went back to check the box, and he said it is definitely a hitch but there is no indication which vehicle the hitch is for - nothing in their system or on the box - . He is going to check with Lexus corporate to find out and will get back to me. He did say there are 138 of these hitches in the warehouse now.

Will post back when I hear more later.
The following 6 users liked this post by SEELEXUS:
Acrad (10-10-22), Carnevino (10-14-22), Kisel17 (10-10-22), Mazderati (10-10-22), sirtiger (10-10-22), WoodFire (10-10-22) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-10-22, 02:35 PM
SEELEXUS
Pit Crew

Update call came this afternoon - apparently Lexus says it will work but it is not the PT228-60141 that is back ordered. It might be a Toyota hitch that is compatible but not for sure - they are going to check with someone in Toyota to find out tomorrow. They may offer to take it out of the box and see if it fits on my GX - they will let me know tomorrow as well.

The following 5 users liked this post by SEELEXUS:
Carnevino (10-14-22), CCRyder (10-15-22), Kisel17 (10-10-22), Mazderati (10-10-22), p2images (10-12-22)
Old 10-10-22, 03:58 PM
Kisel17
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SEELEXUS
Update call came this afternoon - apparently Lexus says it will work but it is not the PT228-60141 that is back ordered. It might be a Toyota hitch that is compatible but not for sure - they are going to check with someone in Toyota to find out tomorrow. They may offer to take it out of the box and see if it fits on my GX - they will let me know tomorrow as well.
Thanks for all of the hard work on this!
The following 2 users liked this post by Kisel17:
Carnevino (10-14-22), p2images (10-12-22)
Old 10-13-22, 09:35 AM
CCRyder
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No one wants to make a guess as to what the entire root cause is behind this “unavailability” ? An OEM doesn’t put stop sale on a part, and discontinue putting things on a vehicle like the hitch without some good reason…
Very disappointing to me as I just bought a 2015 Lexus GX460 a month ago, with plans to tow with it…….it already had the receiver on it. I did not get underneath and inspect to see if it was factory or not. It turned out to be the Curt 4 bolt hitch that has been mentioned repeatedly in this thread. So it is ultimately good for only 5K or 500lb tongue weight max, and i read different comments on whether it is safe to use a weight distribution hitch with this part or not. ——-so here i am stuck.
I am/was in process of buying a travel trailer, in the 4000 to 4500 lb range. But if you look at all the particulars then by the time you load things, both the tongue weight and the GVWR may be at limit. I dont want to tow “at the limit” and if I can’t use a WDH type hitch to alleviate some of the tongue weight, I am pretty much screwed on this as I can only tow lighter things and not what I wanted and intended to tow. I suppose i can be blamed for not researching this to death before hand. But I had no idea what I was walking into. Greatly disappointing and frustrating.

Last edited by CCRyder; 10-20-22 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-13-22, 09:38 AM
jlficken
Intermediate

@SEELEXUS

Have you learned anything?
Old 10-13-22, 09:45 AM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 376 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by CCRyder
No one wants to make a guess as to what the entire root cause is behind this “unavailability” ? An OEM doesn’t put stop sale on a part, and discontinue putting things on a vehicle like the all important hitch, for no good reason. Has to be something serious and something they were worried about legally. Weakness or failure of components causing a failure would be the most logical idea……..of either the hitch itself or the frame where the hitch mounted. And it had to do with the quoted 6500 lb. / 650 lb tongue weight that was given the original class IV hitches. There really is no other good reason that I can think of. Seems like everyone has tiptoed around that. Maybe people who were actually towing at or near the rated 6500/650 limits saw failures in a small percentage of cases ?
Very disappointing to me as I just bought a 2015 Lexus GX460 a month ago, with plans to tow with it…….it already had the receiver on it. I did not get underneath and inspect to see if it was factory or not. It turned out to be the Curt 4 bolt hitch that has been mentioned repeatedly in this thread. So it is ultimately good for only 5K or 500lb tongue weight max, and i read different comments on whether it is safe to use a weight distribution hitch with this part or not. ——-so here i am stuck.
I am/was in process of buying a travel trailer, in the 4000 to 4500 lb range. But if you look at all the particulars then by the time you load things, both the tongue weight and the GVWR may be at limit. I dont want to tow “at the limit” and if I can’t use a WDH type hitch to alleviate some of the tongue weight, I am pretty much screwed on this as I can only tow lighter things and not what I wanted and intended to tow. I suppose i can be blamed for not researching this to death before hand. But I had no idea what I was walking into. Greatly disappointing and frustrating.
There is absolutely ZERO chance the root cause was related to a failure or safety issue. If it was there would be a recall on all existing hitches either by Lexus or NHTSA. A recall to to replace hitches is much cheaper than any sort of injury or liability legal claim. No amount of speculation will identify the reason, the only fact is that the previous hitch is no longer available and eventually (hopefully) an OEM replacement will be made available.
Old 10-13-22, 09:49 AM
Declan86
2nd gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CCRyder
No one wants to make a guess as to what the entire root cause is behind this “unavailability” ? An OEM doesn’t put stop sale on a part, and discontinue putting things on a vehicle like the all important hitch, for no good reason. Has to be something serious and something they were worried about legally. Weakness or failure of components causing a failure would be the most logical idea……..of either the hitch itself or the frame where the hitch mounted. And it had to do with the quoted 6500 lb. / 650 lb tongue weight that was given the original class IV hitches. There really is no other good reason that I can think of. Seems like everyone has tiptoed around that. Maybe people who were actually towing at or near the rated 6500/650 limits saw failures in a small percentage of cases ?
Same boat here. Been waiting on the hitch since I bought the GX 460 in April. It must be a liability thing (overstated towing capacity, faulty materials, etc). Pretty sketchy that Lexus corporate hasn't put out anything about it; seems like they are selling these cars under false pretenses. I have a brand new travel trailer that I haven't been able to use yet. Dealer originally told me "backorder 2-3 months." I certainly wouldn't have bout this car if I knew it was on stop-sale, especially considering how long it has/had been on stop-sale. This is honestly starting to feel like class-action territory.
The following users liked this post:
CCRyder (10-15-22)

Quick Reply: 2022-2023 Tow hitch receiver.