GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2022-2023 Tow hitch receiver.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-22, 09:51 AM
Declan86
2nd gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IanG
There is absolutely ZERO chance the root cause was related to a failure or safety issue. If it was there would be a recall on all existing hitches either by Lexus or NHTSA. A recall to to replace hitches is much cheaper than any sort of injury or liability legal claim. No amount of speculation will identify the reason, the only fact is that the previous hitch is no longer available and eventually (hopefully) an OEM replacement will be made available.
But it could be a problem with the towing capacity of the 22' itself. Does literally anyone have a 22' with the class IV hitch installed?
The following users liked this post:
CCRyder (10-15-22)
Old 10-13-22, 03:51 PM
SEELEXUS
Pit Crew

Received 114 Likes on 47 Posts

Called the Lexus parts department today and left a message / inquiring on status.

Heard back a bit later - it is not for the GX460. It is for an older model RX. It took Lexus corporate a while to get back with them on that information.

They said still no ETA on the new hitch for the GX460 - the part number is in the system but that’s all they know at this time.

The following 2 users liked this post by SEELEXUS:
CCRyder (10-15-22), jlficken (10-14-22)
Old 10-13-22, 03:57 PM
ICSFSEDoD
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, early 22's had the hitch installed.
Old 10-13-22, 08:53 PM
CCRyder
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is absolutely ZERO chance the root cause was related to a failure or safety issue. If it was there would be a recall on all existing hitches either by Lexus or NHTSA. A recall to to replace hitches is much cheaper than any sort of injury or liability legal claim. No amount of speculation will identify the reason, the only fact is that the previous hitch is no longer available and eventually (hopefully) an OEM replacement will be made available.
do you work for NHTSA or something ? Sounds like what they would say right up to the day the truth comes out.
I’d say it just hasn’t hit the fan yet. They didnt put a “stop sell” out on existing parts due to a supply chain issue. What sense could that make ? . and not even telling their own parts centers and dealers “why” ? I called parts at Lexus of Mobile, AL. Today and got no reason and the person I spoke with just said he didn’t know why that they’ve not been told “why” they just know they dont have them. DrawTIte and Curt and none of the aftermarket vendors have them for sale either so WTH ?
And I really dont care why at the end of the conversation I’d just like to be able to tow what the the advertising and owners manual claims it can safely tow, which is 6500 Lbs with a 650 lb max hitch weight. And I can’t do that until someone sells me a properly rated hitch, apparently.
Old 10-14-22, 01:04 PM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 378 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by CCRyder
do you work for NHTSA or something ?
NHTSA is a consumer complaint driven vehicle safety organization. They investigate complaints and problems reported to them and have the ability to force auto manufacturers to issue recalls. You can review individual complaints and recalls on your vehicle, the manufacturers cannot influence or avoid NHTSA investigations or recalls,
Old 10-14-22, 01:41 PM
BigSvensk
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I agree with this.

I have a hitch (which is for sale, BTW) and it is a simple thing, I can't imagine it is defective in any way. The only thing I can think of is how it might affect how the vehicle crumples in a rear end collision - in other words, lawyers got involved. But that's just a guess.
Old 10-14-22, 03:08 PM
GXNick
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

For you guys buying a hitch and bolting it on yourself do you use any anti seize on the bolt threads ? And if yes do the torque specs stay the same ?
Thanks in advance.
Old 10-15-22, 11:54 AM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by GXNick
For you guys buying a hitch and bolting it on yourself do you use any anti seize on the bolt threads ? And if yes do the torque specs stay the same ?
Thanks in advance.
No. Torque for the Curt is 80 ft pounds.
Old 10-15-22, 12:45 PM
CCRyder
9th Gear

Originally Posted by GXNick
Thanks in advance.
just an fyi. Torque specs ( for anything ) are rated differently for dry threads vs wet threads, and also for the particular type of material ( bronze, stainless, steel, cast iron, etc etc and then the grade of the bolt/fastener) . Wet would include liquids like thread locker fluid, anti seize, oil , grease , etc. anything that fhysically affects the interface of the threads between the fastener ( bolt, screw, nut, etc) and the part that it threads into….
If you google the bolt size and thread, usually torque spec charts will show the different values for the grade of bolt, the specific thread ( fine or course) and if “wet” or “dry” and material .
Google torque charts , and you’’l find one and see what I am referring to. Probably wont be a huge difference but it will no doubt be different.

Last edited by CCRyder; 10-15-22 at 10:44 PM.
Hrocks (01-29-24)
Old 10-15-22, 10:42 PM
CCRyder
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Lexus4321
The Lexus issue does seem plausible. Why are there no class-IV aftermarket hitches being made for the GX460?
That is the million dollar question, isnt it ? Lexus even issued “do not sell” orders to dealership parts depts. ( from what others have posted) on remaining existing inventory over a year ago. SO the conversation can be whatever, why would it be necessary to do that, unless there is a problem somehow somewhere ? But I would take my chance with the OEM FULL HITCH any day over the lighter duty rating hitch that I currently have. I am about to tow closer to the limit, and I have already left instructions with my family if something happens to me regarding a towing accident that is “unexplained “ and I am not able to speak to what happened for whatever reason……. To be sure and get lawyers involved.
Are we to believe that they “just decided” one day, hey , lets screw all the GX460 folks that want to tow to full capacity of what we ( Lexus) claimed the vehicle can safely tow, just for the heck of it …… and no longer sell anyone a hitch ? I dont think so. And with no reason given, then everyone involved is just left to hypothesize . What’s so hush hush about “the reason” ….that one has not definitively been given ?
Old 10-17-22, 08:36 AM
arrkerr
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I share the sentiment of wanting the full frame hitch over a lighter duty one. I tow a trailer that is about 4800lbs dry. So glad I pulled the hitch (and the two spacers) off my 2016 before I traded it for the 2022 and avoided this nightmare. Still worried me that there was some safety issue, but the hitch its self is very solid. Makes me think there might be some frame issue that they just can't fix. Either way, if I had not thought to pull the hitch it would have ruined my entire summer.

Lexus, by the way, did actually offer to charge me to move the hitch from the 2016 to the 2022. I told them no because I could easily do it myself, but odd that they offered in the first place.

Love that the GX comes pre-wired for towing unlike any other vehicle I have ever had. Adds some irony to the fact that you can't actually buy a hitch.
Old 10-17-22, 11:20 AM
jdam
Driver

Received 80 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Declan86
But it could be a problem with the towing capacity of the 22' itself. Does literally anyone have a 22' with the class IV hitch installed?
Mine does. Build date of August 2021.
Old 10-18-22, 08:28 PM
JZZFZZ
Intermediate

Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

I recall the 1st gen GX came with hitch receiver in 2003 and 2004, then the US government requested Lexus stop selling with it. I recall the reason was it was not safe for a vehicle with a side opening rear gate, for a reason I could not comprehend. All hitch receivers you see on 2005 and later GX470s were installed by customers. They are not factory installed.
Old 10-19-22, 04:47 AM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 171 Likes on 94 Posts

I replied with the reason you can't find a hitch in the other thread
CCRyder (10-20-22)
Old 10-19-22, 12:19 PM
Blight
9th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Update for the hitch from Lexus Twitter

GX Hitch ETA from Lexus
The following 2 users liked this post by Blight:
jk085016 (12-20-22), Kisel17 (10-28-22)

Quick Reply: 2022-2023 Tow hitch receiver.