GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2022-2023 Tow hitch receiver.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-22, 04:01 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by bml376
@jlficken the part number I was given is PT228-60141.

I ordered it from Lexus of Fremont here in Northern California. This is the name and contact of the person who helped me

Garry
Lexus of Fremont
510-657-6600 Ext. 4214

Since getting my car, I've been unable to move/tow my boat, without the hitch receiver so I've been calling all the dealerships around me on a weekly basis. This was the only dealer that actually took the time to call Lexus to get the details on this part, all other dealers literally told me "Not available, not sure when it will be available" and proceeded to hang up on me.
Thanks! That’s the part # that Lexus corporate told me but I haven’t seen it listed online.

I’ll give him a call tomorrow.
Old 12-05-22, 07:11 AM
SEELEXUS
Pit Crew

Received 114 Likes on 47 Posts

I just spoke to a Lexus parts department here in Houston - none showing available in this region.

Old 12-05-22, 02:34 PM
OMGTKK
5th Gear

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone have thoughts about the hitch offered by NYTOP?
https://www.nytop.store/lexus-gx460-...hitch-receiver
The price is very good. It seems to be frame mounted and rated for the full 6500lbs. The big downside is they are still pre-production
Old 12-06-22, 04:28 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

Originally Posted by OMGTKK;[url=tel:11404904
11404904]Does anyone have thoughts about the hitch offered by NYTOP?
https://www.nytop.store/lexus-gx460-...hitch-receiver
The price is very good. It seems to be frame mounted and rated for the full 6500lbs. The big downside is they are still pre-production
It looks like it bolts to the bottom of the frame rails from the pictures?

If that’s the case I’m not horribly enthusiastic about it when the OEM hitch goes on top of the frame rails.

ETA: The OEM hitch also bolts to the bottom of the frame rails.

Last edited by jlficken; 12-09-22 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-09-22, 08:36 AM
jlficken
Intermediate

I was just told that there's a problem with the PT228-60141 hitch not lining up correctly as well so it'll be February at the earliest.

Are you f'ing kidding me Lexus
Old 12-09-22, 10:01 AM
bml376
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jlficken
I was just told that there's a problem with the PT228-60141 hitch not lining up correctly as well so it'll be February at the earliest.

Are you f'ing kidding me Lexus
@jlficken which dealer told you this?
Old 12-09-22, 10:26 AM
jlficken
Intermediate

The dealerships in Nebraska said it.

The dealerships in Kansas and Kentucky said they’ve tried to order them (there are 614 in the Kentucky distribution center and 40 in the Ontario distribution center), however, when they order them they get cancelled.

I have yet another case with Lexus to try and get a hitch but I’m sure I’ll get another non-answers when/if they call me back.

The MSRP on the new hitch is $747.
Old 12-09-22, 10:59 AM
bml376
10th Gear

The dealerships in Nebraska said it.

The dealerships in Kansas and Kentucky said they’ve tried to order them (there are 614 in the Kentucky distribution center and 40 in the Ontario distribution center), however, when they order them they get cancelled.

I have yet another case with Lexus to try and get a hitch but I’m sure I’ll get another non-answers when/if they call me back.

The MSRP on the new hitch is $747.
Got it. Did you try calling the dealer I used? I'm not sure what to say, as that is the same part number I was given, and the hitch is installed on my vehicle.
Old 12-09-22, 11:01 AM
jlficken
Intermediate

Got it. Did you try calling the dealer I used? I'm not sure what to say, as that is the same part number I was given, and the hitch is installed on my vehicle.
Yeah I'm not sure either. Garry was out today so I can try again tomorrow I suppose.

I'm wondering though if it's worth it as the NYTOP hitch is going to be cheaper shipped.
Old 12-09-22, 11:05 AM
bml376
10th Gear

Yeah I'm not sure either. Garry was out today so I can try again tomorrow I suppose.

I'm wondering though if it's worth it as the NYTOP hitch is going to be cheaper shipped.
Got it. The $747 MSRP is not what I was charged. I am at work and don't have the receipt but I recall it was a bit under or around $600. I don't know if that is because I had the dealer install it as well, but I was never planning to install this part myself, just due to this being a brand new car for me.
Old 12-09-22, 11:20 AM
jlficken
Intermediate

Got it. The $747 MSRP is not what I was charged. I am at work and don't have the receipt but I recall it was a bit under or around $600. I don't know if that is because I had the dealer install it as well, but I was never planning to install this part myself, just due to this being a brand new car for me.
The guy I spoke with said the MSRP was $747 but maybe he was wrong. He said to call Garry back tomorrow.
Old 12-09-22, 12:04 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

ETA: I just found out they appear to be Made in China so I’m out. Im sorry for even suggesting them now 😞

Last edited by jlficken; 12-23-22 at 09:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SEELEXUS (12-23-22)
Old 12-10-22, 06:01 PM
riser
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most trailer hitch ball mounts you'll find will be rated for 500 lbs and 5000 pounds. Buying a trailer hitch rated for 7500 pounds and putting a 5000 pound 2 inch ball mount means you don't need a 7500 pound trailer hitch. Just saying.....

I thought about waiting till they have them available but I bought the 5000 pound version. They way they are making the transmissions now, they're running hotter to be slightly more efficient. Might not want to tow 7500 with it anyways. Not without a cooler for any length of time.

Again. Just my opinion.
Old 12-13-22, 08:51 AM
arrkerr
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The OEM certainly does bolt to the bottom. I've moved a bunch of these either between years or just from one vehicle to another. They're easy, it takes maybe 30 minutes. I am still concerned about why these aren't available, it moving from a 16 to a 22 was a perfect fit. I think people get scared about touching a lexus because other vehicles I have had in the past like porsche and volvo have been nightmares, aren't pre-wired, etc. But lexus even has the wiring including the plug (which is incredibly rare, I can't think of any other vehicle that does that) sitting right there. No wire splicing, nothing, just bolt on the hitch and you move the plug out from where it is stored to the mount with the hitch. So easy. And they are also pre-wired for a brake controller (which you definitely need for anything heavy).

This thread still boggles my mind that they are having such an issue and I continue to watch it. If you aren't in a rush keep waiting but seriously if you can find an OEM hitch from someone or find someone that has one and doesn't want it I'd go that route.

Of course most of us are wanting to haul trailers, but if you just have a little one or want a bike rack the curt one really is a quick fix. I've put the curt ones on a number of vehicles for people that don't even want lights, its just there for a bike rack, myself included on my other vehicles.
The following users liked this post:
GX4602011 (12-13-22)
Old 12-13-22, 09:54 AM
GX4602011
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by arrkerr
The OEM certainly does bolt to the bottom. I've moved a bunch of these either between years or just from one vehicle to another. They're easy, it takes maybe 30 minutes. I am still concerned about why these aren't available, it moving from a 16 to a 22 was a perfect fit. I think people get scared about touching a lexus because other vehicles I have had in the past like porsche and volvo have been nightmares, aren't pre-wired, etc. But lexus even has the wiring including the plug (which is incredibly rare, I can't think of any other vehicle that does that) sitting right there. No wire splicing, nothing, just bolt on the hitch and you move the plug out from where it is stored to the mount with the hitch. So easy. And they are also pre-wired for a brake controller (which you definitely need for anything heavy).

This thread still boggles my mind that they are having such an issue and I continue to watch it. If you aren't in a rush keep waiting but seriously if you can find an OEM hitch from someone or find someone that has one and doesn't want it I'd go that route.

Of course most of us are wanting to haul trailers, but if you just have a little one or want a bike rack the curt one really is a quick fix. I've put the curt ones on a number of vehicles for people that don't even want lights, its just there for a bike rack, myself included on my other vehicles.
Yes, I bought a coil-up trailer wire connector extender (
like this one like this one
, no affiliation) which reaches the outlet up under the drivers side to use with the Curt so no need to even move the receptacle outlet plug from the stored location.

Quick Reply: 2022-2023 Tow hitch receiver.