GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2022-2023 Tow hitch receiver.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-23, 01:57 PM
skrypj
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by leetdan
My gripe is with the wiring harness bracket -- given the fit and finish of everything else, it's at a goofy angle compared to the rest of the hitch and the bumper.

The installation was smoother than expected, I highly recommend using a proper exhaust hanger removal tool if you can.
That too. I've whacked my hitch a few times offroad. They could easily move the receiver itself up an inchand the sides up 2-3" though. Like I dont understand why there is two plates sandwiched between the receiver and the crossmember on the frame to drop it down.
Old 01-14-23, 02:12 PM
Train45
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

interesting, i do some mild offroading, is the spare tire still the lowest point behind the axle?
Old 01-18-23, 12:17 PM
trent
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default GX 460 Tow hitch.

So, as some has mentioned the tow hitch receiver is available again for our trucks. A couple of my local dealers have them in stock for about the $660 to $725 price range which is reasonable. The problem is they want about $700 to $750 for the installation which seems very high. I was told it’s about 4 hours labor, even the Toyota dealership quoted me the same price for labor. Does this seem high to you guys, and is the receiver that difficult to install?

Last edited by trent; 01-18-23 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-18-23, 12:23 PM
AlexDev
Pit Crew

Received 98 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by trent
So, as some has mentioned the tow hitch receiver is available again for our trucks. A couple of my local dealers have them in stock for about the $660 to $725 price range which is reasonable. The problem is they want about $700 to $750 for the installation which seems very high. I was told it’s about 4 hours a labor, even the Toyota dealership quoted me the same price for labor. Does this seem high to you guys, and is the receiver that difficult to install?
I recently purchased a new GX in Nov, and luckily worked in a free hitch into the deal. But my finance guy did say that the amount of hours to install is a lot for the job (standard across Lexus dealers), so they couldn’t throw that in. There’s a couple vids on YouTube for installation. Grab a cold one, and find 2 hours of free time, it’s a relatively easy install.
Old 01-18-23, 12:27 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Order from Bell Lexus here for $520 (free shipping with SHIPLEXUS code) - https://parts.belllexusnorthscottsda...t22860141.html

If you have a set of wrenches, ratchet and sockets, a floor jack or a helper, and a torque wrench you can do it yourself. Get some copper anti-seize as well for all of the bolts.

I went through them but used eBay for mine so it cost me $610 delivered. Direct is a better dealer, however, they didn't have that option at the time.
The following users liked this post:
pnguyen3 (02-28-23)
Old 01-18-23, 12:30 PM
Alche
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

@ train45 i think the front of the spare tire is still lower than anything the hitch does.

@ trent As for installing it, the youtube video above is pretty much it along with the instructions found online. the torque value for the m12 bolts are a bit of a mystery as i found some literature saying 65 ft lbs and another one from sewell lexus saying its 60 ft lbs for different years.

i removed the spare since more room for you to crawl under there.. you dont even need to lift the truck to install it. I was able to do it myself with some boxes and two sissor jacks. i put the boxes on the floor, put the scissor jacks holding the two sides of the hitch and slid it under the car. I lifted the hitch it as close as it would get to the side mounting bolts. threaded one side in a few threads, then moved on to the other side.. the left side was a bit more difficult since you reuse the tow hook/strap that you took off, but if you have something to shim or jack it high enough, one person can definitely do it. After you get the sides started, then put the shim plates in while the sides are still loose, and then follow the torquing order on the instructions.

I did remove the exhaust off the hanger as i have the tool for that as well. on amazon, this tool is less than 20 dollars. I wouldn't say its worth 7-750 in labor, but to each their own.. i would say it took me... ~2-2.5 hrs myself, but i took my time every step and torqued with a torque meter and etc.You would need a breaker bar also as the bolts holding the existing tow hook are on there pretty tight.
SteveInCal (10-28-23)
Old 01-18-23, 09:33 PM
leetdan
5th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alche
i removed the spare since more room for you to crawl under there.. you dont even need to lift the truck to install it. I was able to do it myself with some boxes and two sissor jacks. i put the boxes on the floor, put the scissor jacks holding the two sides of the hitch and slid it under the car. I lifted the hitch it as close as it would get to the side mounting bolts. threaded one side in a few threads, then moved on to the other side.. the left side was a bit more difficult since you reuse the tow hook/strap that you took off, but if you have something to shim or jack it high enough, one person can definitely do it. After you get the sides started, then put the shim plates in while the sides are still loose, and then follow the torquing order on the instructions.
Seconding this. My install took under two hours - I completely removed the spare, used an exhaust hangar tool as mentioned, and was flying solo. I have a creeper so I was able to rest the bulk of the hitch on my stomach, roll into position, and start the small bolts enough to take up the weight. Everything else I can think of has already been mentioned.
Old 01-19-23, 05:52 AM
ICSFSEDoD
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone got a link for the exhaust hanger tool available on amazon that was mentioned?

Nevermind, found it.
Amazon Amazon
Old 01-19-23, 02:24 PM
KPLexusGX
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My local dealer, whom I just bought my new GX from in Dec…said they are starting to get the new hitch in…and quoted me $1390 installed ! Wow! 😮 I told him, they are too expensive.
Old 01-19-23, 08:30 PM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by KPLexusGX
My local dealer, whom I just bought my new GX from in Dec…said they are starting to get the new hitch in…and quoted me $1390 installed ! Wow! 😮 I told him, they are too expensive.
jlficken (01-19-23)
Old 01-19-23, 08:37 PM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Maybe someone here is working for a dealership. Trying to take advantage of supply and demand.

No need to hide the dealership’s name under “local dealer” lol

Originally Posted by KPLexusGX
Old 01-19-23, 10:32 PM
evilfij
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

The hours of labor to install is insane. The installed prices look like four hours of labor (or at least 3)

Any competent mechanic could do it in an hour, probably 30 minutes and charge an hour. I know I could do it in an hour (probably less) laying on the ground from watching the install video, but I am a DIY guy. If I had not bought the Curt, id order from Bell at $520, but I don’t mind the Kurt (the genuine lexus hitch plug I bought from Bell makes it look factory) and I don’t see myself towing anything (let alone something where the extra 1500lbs would matter). I just wanted a hitch receiver in case I had to pull something out with a tow strap. If you just want a hitch, anyone can install the Kurt in 10 minutes and that is dropping the spare a bit. Without that it’s 5 minutes.

Last edited by evilfij; 01-21-23 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-20-23, 04:54 AM
AlexDev
Pit Crew

Received 98 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by FastTurtle
Maybe someone here is working for a dealership. Trying to take advantage of supply and demand.

No need to hide the dealership’s name under “local dealer” lol
Speaking for myself, “local dealer” is code for “I don’t want anyone ahead of me on the waitlist for my damn hitch.”
Old 01-20-23, 06:46 AM
Extract0r
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question for the exhaust hanger. Once you detach the exhaust, is there enough slack so that the exhaust just hangs down with enough clearance to fit a torque wrench? Should I support the exhaust tip with a floor jack while tightening the bolts on the right side?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Alche
@ train45 i think the front of the spare tire is still lower than anything the hitch does.

@ trent As for installing it, the youtube video above is pretty much it along with the instructions found online. the torque value for the m12 bolts are a bit of a mystery as i found some literature saying 65 ft lbs and another one from sewell lexus saying its 60 ft lbs for different years.

I did remove the exhaust off the hanger as i have the tool for that as well. on amazon, this tool is less than 20 dollars. I wouldn't say its worth 7-750 in labor, but to each their own.. i would say it took me... ~2-2.5 hrs myself, but i took my time every step and torqued with a torque meter and etc.You would need a breaker bar also as the bolts holding the existing tow hook are on there pretty tight.
Old 01-20-23, 03:17 PM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

I see your point. Good luck getting the damn hitch 👍🏼

Originally Posted by AlexDev
Speaking for myself, “local dealer” is code for “I don’t want anyone ahead of me on the waitlist for my damn hitch.”

Quick Reply: 2022-2023 Tow hitch receiver.