GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2022-2023 Tow hitch receiver.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-23, 06:55 PM
meitzler
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Delivering GX460 with hitch installed

I just took delivery of a 2023 GX460 with the hitch installed as a dealer accessory. So, the hitches are available in the northwest. I saw considerable variation in what dealers charge for the installation, so if you are price senstive it migh pay to shop around.
Old 02-23-23, 10:19 PM
JZZFZZ
Intermediate

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

So guys, what is the big deal with the factory hitch receiver? Does everyone want to tow 6500 lbs? The Curt hitch is a lot prettier than the factory hitch and the factory hitch decreases clearance of the rear end quite a bit. I prefer Curt hitch even if it is at the same price with the factory, let alone it is a lot cheaper, but I tow with a Tundra so I do not need the extra towing capacity.
Old 02-24-23, 07:39 AM
graybadge
Driver

Received 55 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JZZFZZ
So guys, what is the big deal with the factory hitch receiver? Does everyone want to tow 6500 lbs? The Curt hitch is a lot prettier than the factory hitch and the factory hitch decreases clearance of the rear end quite a bit. I prefer Curt hitch even if it is at the same price with the factory, let alone it is a lot cheaper, but I tow with a Tundra so I do not need the extra towing capacity.
The factory hitch is a weight distribution hitch. Instead of only attaching to the rear cross-member like the Curt, the factory hitch also distributes the load directly to the longitudinal frame rails (similar to the Tundra). It's all about the load path.

BTW, the factory hitch hangs down about an inch, so it's not really decreasing the rear clearance, because it's no lower than the muffler. As long as you're carrying your spare tire under the vehicle (in the stock location), clearance is not an issue. As for the Curt hitch being "prettier," beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you're using the hitch receiver to mount a bike rack, then the cheaper Curt hitch is fine. If you're towing with your Tundra, why did you even put a hitch on your GX? If you're towing a trailer with a GX, you're better off with the factory hitch.
The following users liked this post:
Hrocks (01-29-24)
Old 02-24-23, 08:55 AM
JZZFZZ
Intermediate

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by graybadge
The factory hitch is a weight distribution hitch. Instead of only attaching to the rear cross-member like the Curt, the factory hitch also distributes the load directly to the longitudinal frame rails (similar to the Tundra). It's all about the load path.

BTW, the factory hitch hangs down about an inch, so it's not really decreasing the rear clearance, because it's no lower than the muffler. As long as you're carrying your spare tire under the vehicle (in the stock location), clearance is not an issue. As for the Curt hitch being "prettier," beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you're using the hitch receiver to mount a bike rack, then the cheaper Curt hitch is fine. If you're towing with your Tundra, why did you even put a hitch on your GX? If you're towing a trailer with a GX, you're better off with the factory hitch.
The biggest thing I put on will be a hitch cargo box. I put on a badass hitch really to fend off aggressive drivers behind😜
Old 02-24-23, 09:35 AM
graybadge
Driver

Received 55 Likes on 17 Posts

I also own a Tundra. I added the OEM tow hitch to the GX to have full towing capacity when we eventually downsize to one vehicle...

Old 02-24-23, 01:01 PM
meitzler
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I just wanted the OEM hitch so I have the maximum capacity if I ever need it and so lexus does not use the excuse that a 3rd party product adversely impacted my GX. If you like the Curt, I am happy for you. Just sharing information.
Old 02-27-23, 12:29 PM
2022GX460
2nd gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alpha2
Anyone in Canada get one of these yet? My Lexus dealer keeps telling me they can see the new part number but can't order it in Lexus Canada's system yet? But they have screwed up a few orders on me before so I'm suspicious...
Yes just received mine on Friday here in Montreal, was waiting since July 2022.
alpha2 (02-27-23)
Old 02-27-23, 01:08 PM
alpha2
10th Gear

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2022GX460
Yes just received mine on Friday here in Montreal, was waiting since July 2022.
Hey, thanks for the info. I'll call the Halifax guys tomorrow and see what's up with them! Appreciate it!
Old 02-27-23, 01:29 PM
2022GX460
2nd gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problem. From what the parts guy at Lexus told me, there were 8 available in Canada.
alpha2 (02-27-23)
Old 02-28-23, 03:01 PM
pnguyen3
2nd gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by graybadge

Also given the GX curb weight is approximately 5200 lbs, the OEM class IV, 6500 lbs GTW is much safer for using the recovery hooks in emergencies. I would never recover with the CURT class III hitch.

Just ordered mine from Bell Lexus North Scottsdale, Thanks all! Really helpful

Last edited by pnguyen3; 02-28-23 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-02-23, 09:19 AM
skrypj
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Train45
interesting, i do some mild offroading, is the spare tire still the lowest point behind the axle?
It might be lower but the hitch hangs out way farther and is what kills departure. I've come down some steps and dragged it. Im sure the back of the spare might catch too if your running a wider tire that hangs a little lower but this picture shows the spare tucked up at least as high as the hitch in the rear:

Originally Posted by Alche
@ train45 i think the front of the spare tire is still lower than anything the hitch does.
The front of the spare is sitting between the rear tires and close to the much lower axle. It does not affect departure angle and if there is a rock traveling down the center of the truck its going to hit the axle(and probably your front skid plates, ask me how I know) before the spare is even a concern. Especially if you have a lift and the axle is sitting lower.

Last edited by skrypj; 03-02-23 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-02-23, 09:28 AM
skrypj
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

So is there an actual difference in the receiver vs the old PT22860140 or is it literally just that they update the bolts? It appears to still have the spacer plates for the rear crossmember so it doesnt sit any higher I dont think.
Old 03-03-23, 03:57 AM
AlexDev
Pit Crew

Received 98 Likes on 45 Posts

After a few weeks of waiting (and instructing my dealer the tow hitch has a new part #) finally picked her up. This was also free as I worked it into my deal with the purchase. Now to install this weekend! Cheers

Old 03-09-23, 01:02 PM
BetsGX460
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitch

I may not be up to date with all of the news on this thread, I just wanted to mention that our dealership in the Dallas area finally has the factory hitch in stock. It will cost almost $900 to install on our 22 GX460

It has been very frustrating.
Old 03-09-23, 01:06 PM
BetsGX460
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitch

I may not be up to date with all of the news on this thread, I just wanted to mention that our dealership in the Dallas area finally has the factory hitch in stock. It will cost almost $900 to install on our 22 GX460

It has been very frustrating.

Quick Reply: 2022-2023 Tow hitch receiver.