GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2022-2023 Tow hitch receiver.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-23, 01:11 PM
alpha2
10th Gear

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2022GX460
No problem. From what the parts guy at Lexus told me, there were 8 available in Canada.
Apparently they are up to 50 now in Canada! Mine is scheduled for install this coming Tuesday on my 2023. I also just got a Redarc Liberty with harness that will be installed with the hitch; it will be good to have this finally completed.
Old 03-09-23, 02:17 PM
pnguyen3
2nd gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Bell Lexus Scottsdale FTW. Total with free shipping (shipping code above) $520. Ordered on a Tues, arrived by FedEx the following Sunday and installed the same day.

Solo DIY is not bad at all. I didn't need a jack to support the hitch during install. I didn't even need to lift the truck. I laid on my back underneath with the hitch balanced between myself and the GX. Supported one end with my knees, the other with one arm while starting one of the main side bolts. Once I got that in, everything else was pretty easy. Torque wrench is highly recommended. For safe measure, I applied Loctite to every bolt. And
exhaust hanger remover tool exhaust hanger remover tool
is highly recommended. Took seconds to pop the rubber hanger off.

She's heavy. I'd guess ~45 lbs. Significantly beefier than the CURT class III hitch it replaced.

My only concern is indicated by green arrow. This member support is on both sides. I would guess this affects departure angle. Probably better that is there. It would definitely hit this before the spare. Spare is OEM 265x60x18 Dueler. Literally millimeters of clearance with the new hitch. Tire might be .5 inch clearance from kdss sway bar. I'm hesitant to think 265x65x18 would fit in the spare.. maybe? For sure not bigger.

The two spacer plates are absolutely required. The over all fit was perfect. While I was under there and with the spare off, I applied Amsoil HD Metal Protector and undercoated the entire bottom of the rear. Making sure to hit the frame hard.

Next, 2" Ironman 4x4 lift stage 2 with Dr KDSS everything and RCI skids all around.

Last edited by pnguyen3; 03-09-23 at 03:11 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by pnguyen3:
aredub (03-09-23), graybadge (03-09-23), pacnwatx (04-13-23)
Old 03-09-23, 11:13 PM
graybadge
Driver

Received 55 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree with @pnguyen3. This is a straightforward install even for a solo project. A good torque wrench and the exhaust hanger pliers make it simple. It took me 3 hours, and that's with mild OCD.
Old 04-13-23, 08:34 AM
dwh13
Pit Crew

Received 156 Likes on 76 Posts

Has anyone successfully fit a 265/65-18 spare with the OEM hitch receiver? I'm getting conflicting information, seems like it even varies by brand (I've got Falken Wildpeaks on mine).
The following 2 users liked this post by dwh13:
hansmatt (04-14-23), leejo21 (04-13-23)
Old 04-19-23, 05:19 PM
dwh13
Pit Crew

Received 156 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by dwh13
Has anyone successfully fit a 265/65-18 spare with the OEM hitch receiver? I'm getting conflicting information, seems like it even varies by brand (I've got Falken Wildpeaks on mine).
Took a risk and answered my own question - happy to say that a 265/65-18 Falken Wildpeak fits easily with the OEM hitch ($408 shipped from Prestige Lexus of Ramsey, NJ). I was nervous since I tried the Curt class 3 receiver and it didn't even pretend to fit with the spare.

For anyone who is looking for instructions, here are some things I found helpful:
  • Installation Instructions (they weren't included)
  • To help accommodate the larger spare, I had someone pull on the hitch while I tightened the bolts for an extra fraction of an inch of clearance.
  • The bolts in my kit were slightly different than what the instructions say, but easy enough to figure out when you're looking at everything laid out.
  • The only problem we ran into were some of the frame holes were full of crud since they're exposed and the bolts didn't want to go through. Spraying brake cleaner and PB Blaster followed by wrapping a slightly smaller bolt in steel wool and chasing the threads worked well.
  • Took us about 5 hours from unboxing to cleanup (an hour of which was cleaning out the frame holes)

The following 3 users liked this post by dwh13:
pacnwatx (04-19-23), Peacebay (04-19-23), SteveInCal (10-28-23)
Old 04-19-23, 07:22 PM
AuNatural
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pnguyen3
Bell Lexus Scottsdale FTW. Total with free shipping (shipping code above) $520. Ordered on a Tues, arrived by FedEx the following Sunday and installed the same day.

Solo DIY is not bad at all. I didn't need a jack to support the hitch during install. I didn't even need to lift the truck. I laid on my back underneath with the hitch balanced between myself and the GX. Supported one end with my knees, the other with one arm while starting one of the main side bolts. Once I got that in, everything else was pretty easy. Torque wrench is highly recommended. For safe measure, I applied Loctite to every bolt. And
exhaust hanger remover tool exhaust hanger remover tool
is highly recommended. Took seconds to pop the rubber hanger off.

She's heavy. I'd guess ~45 lbs. Significantly beefier than the CURT class III hitch it replaced.

My only concern is indicated by green arrow. This member support is on both sides. I would guess this affects departure angle. Probably better that is there. It would definitely hit this before the spare. Spare is OEM 265x60x18 Dueler. Literally millimeters of clearance with the new hitch. Tire might be .5 inch clearance from kdss sway bar. I'm hesitant to think 265x65x18 would fit in the spare.. maybe? For sure not bigger.

The two spacer plates are absolutely required. The over all fit was perfect. While I was under there and with the spare off, I applied Amsoil HD Metal Protector and undercoated the entire bottom of the rear. Making sure to hit the frame hard.

Next, 2" Ironman 4x4 lift stage 2 with Dr KDSS everything and RCI skids all around.
This has been a great thread as I'm trying to acquire the same part for my '23 GX. It looks like you have a 2023 as well. I mention this because when I visited the Bell Lexus Scottsdale parts page and entered the part number, it came back with an error that the part was not compatible with the 2023 model year. Did you get this same conflict with your purchase? Please & thank you.
The following users liked this post:
pikenp (08-18-23)
Old 04-19-23, 09:09 PM
pacnwatx
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

When I was purchasing my Blackline edition a few weeks ago I also purchased the tow hitch which the dealer installed, it looks the very same as what was posted above, should be good.
Old 05-09-23, 09:14 PM
Tperez
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow hitch and reciever

I am hoping someone could help me. I just bought a 2023 GX460 and need a tow hitch and receiver to pull a 28ft deck boat. I do need something that can handle 6000lbs. I am having absolutely no luck in finding anything. Can anyone guide me in a direction? Lexus has not been any help.
Old 05-11-23, 06:39 PM
ScaldedDog
Pit Crew

Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Tperez
I am hoping someone could help me. I just bought a 2023 GX460 and need a tow hitch and receiver to pull a 28ft deck boat. I do need something that can handle 6000lbs. I am having absolutely no luck in finding anything. Can anyone guide me in a direction? Lexus has not been any help.
Welcome to the 'hood. Any dealer should be able to sell you the OEM hitch, as they are widely available. You can install it yourself or have them do it. Personally, if I was going to tow something that large with a GX, I'd only consider the OEM hitch.

Mark
FastTurtle (05-14-23)
Old 05-14-23, 02:08 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

I finally got mine installed with some help from my Dad.

I may have gone a little overboard with the Woolwax

It really wasn’t too bad but it helps to have a floor jack and the right tools.

The exhaust hanger tool was worth every penny.

Last edited by jlficken; 05-14-23 at 02:11 PM.
pikenp (08-19-23)
Old 05-22-23, 01:34 PM
KAWI984
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dmdbko
Hello all,

I'm a new member with 22 GX 460.
I've been searching for a tow hitch receiver (lexus OEM) ever since the purchase of the car but I'm not sure the old version fits '22.
1. Spoke to a guy at my local Lexus service dept. he said they were instructed not to sell those by Lexus, in fact they don't have anything available. (He also mentioned it's not about the supply shortage due to pandemic)
2. At the official Lexus webpage, can't find the tow hitch receiver in the accessory list.

Was anyone able to configure the vehicle with the receiver or see one with the hitch receiver factory-installed?
The part no. PT22860140 is the one that fits the previous models.

Thank you,
I just picked up a brand new class 4 OEM tow hitch from my Lexus dealer (Park Place Lexus) today 05 22 2023. The dealer said they just started getting them again. I got the only one they had in stock and it's being installed. I have a 22 GX460 as well.
Old 05-22-23, 04:40 PM
geckornr
Pit Crew

Received 253 Likes on 94 Posts

I'm trading my 2021 in for a 2023 and getting the tow hitch installed at port, so I have the hitch brand new in the box if someone is looking (Atlanta area). I bought it and was going to install last month but a few things changed and now there's a 2023 on the way before I'll get around to it.
Old 05-24-23, 05:25 AM
jonshonda
Intermediate

Received 159 Likes on 97 Posts

Just installed an OEM hitch last week. Probably a good idea to chase the threads with a tap if you have any corrosion on the frame. 12x1.25 and 8x1.25 will do the trick. Also the exhaust hanger tool did work wonders and moving the exhaust is almost mandatory imho
Old 06-10-23, 07:49 PM
ejthomp
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Default $1725 for a tow hitch on a 2023 GX460

I’m about to put money down on a brand new 2023 Premium model GX460. The vehicle I’m looking at does not have a tow hitch. The dealer has quoted me $1725 to add a tow hitch, stating it is much more difficult to do when the factory doesn’t install and takes them 2.5 hours.

Does anyone know if the 2023 is any different than other years? Can this be right? Can’t I just buy the hitch for $575 and install myself?
Old 06-10-23, 08:40 PM
Misteracng
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I was in the same spot. I got a 2023 and I wanted the tow hitch, so dealer offered to install it if I paid the 675 option price as if port installed. I think you should ask for this as it’s fair. When I went in for the install is was very fast, nearly 1k for install is excessive and it’s the same instal as before
ASE (06-11-23)

Quick Reply: 2022-2023 Tow hitch receiver.