GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2022-2023 Tow hitch receiver.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-22, 10:48 PM
arrkerr
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just moved my hitch from a 2016 to a 2022 premium sport. No issues, just had to remove a bit of trim because of the sport. Perfect fit. Lexus confirmed that it would be the same part IF they could order it, which they can't. They also offered to move it over but I am cheap and did it myself. I tow a large camper and wanted to keep the full towing capacity vs. the smaller after market options which I am sure would be fine for a bike rack or smaller trailer. I didn't need to drop the exhaust, although it is certainly in the way I was able to just push it to the side. Dropping the spare tire made it easier, not required but I wish I had just done it right away for easier access. If purchasing a used hitch my advice is to make sure you also get the bracket for the lights, it is great that lexus has the wiring already in place but the bracket they install without the hitch needs to be removed and you need the one that comes with the hitch setup.
Old 06-26-22, 10:57 PM
Kilroy88
8th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Class IV Hitch GX460

We bought a 2022 GX460 and one of the reasons I liked it was because of the Class IV Hitch it used ...but once we bought it, we were told that Lexus no longer sells a Trailer Hitch for the GX460 and according to the salesman , I could take a gamble and have a custom hitch made for it (which might affect the warranty )or , buy a smaller weaker Class 3 hitch on Amazon or something until Lexus designs a new Class IV. Someone else told me to check the Junk Yards and find a Class 4 Lexus hitch off a 2020 or 2021 460 and it will fit the 2022.. I've looked all over for any updates but can't find anything on line and , it seems strange since in a way , for Lexus to claim you can tow and use a Class IV with 650 pound tongue weight is at this point false advertising since they won't offer a Hitch for it now and refuse to explain why. Have any of you heard anything about this issue or if Lexus resolved it yet ?
Old 06-27-22, 02:40 AM
Novo
Driver School Candidate

Default Hitch

Last Wednesday I had my 2021 GX in for its 18 month service and also inquired about a hitch. I asked two salespeople, the sales department guy, and a service rep-none of them knew why the hitch was unavailable. I only want it for a bicycle rack. I was told I could go with the Curt class 3 (made in USA), 2 in receiver for a bike rack. I was quoted $140 to install. Since I don’t have any desire to purchase a torque wrench, I thought it was an ok quote, providing they install it correctly. (Conical washers only go on one way.) I bought the hitch on Amazon, there was a $15 off coupon for it. My appointment for installation is next week. Can anyone answer this question? It came with a spacer bar, why would that be used? Great videos on YouTube with GX Bob and UHaul showing installation. I just hope Lexus doesn’t screw it up. I don’t want the hitch to rub against or push against that bumper insert and I don’t want to remove it like GX Bob says you can. Any tips to share with service department when I take it in??
Old 06-27-22, 06:50 AM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 120 Likes on 81 Posts

A torque wrench is like $10-$20 at HF and it takes less time to bolt on the hitch than driving to the dealer. Just saying...
The following 4 users liked this post by NewB2Lexus:
catdaddylo (06-27-22), GX4602011 (07-04-22), Novo (06-27-22), virtualpj (06-27-22)
Old 06-27-22, 07:39 AM
Novo
Driver School Candidate

Not sure this 62 year old grandmother has the strength. GX Bob even struggled a little. I hear where you are coming from and appreciate the comment. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
NewB2Lexus (06-27-22)
Old 06-27-22, 08:25 AM
SEELEXUS
Pit Crew

Received 114 Likes on 47 Posts

Kilroy88,

Welcome to the GX460 world. It’s a great vehicle.

There are a number of us waiting to hear from Lexus on the availability of a hitch (me included). The latest rumor on availability is August 2022. I believe you may find a rather long thread in this forum on the topic.

Best.
The following 2 users liked this post by SEELEXUS:
Kilroy88 (06-27-22), Novo (06-27-22)
Old 06-27-22, 12:23 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Novo
Last Wednesday I had my 2021 GX in for its 18 month service and also inquired about a hitch. I asked two salespeople, the sales department guy, and a service rep-none of them knew why the hitch was unavailable. I only want it for a bicycle rack. I was told I could go with the Curt class 3 (made in USA), 2 in receiver for a bike rack. I was quoted $140 to install. Since I don’t have any desire to purchase a torque wrench, I thought it was an ok quote, providing they install it correctly. (Conical washers only go on one way.) I bought the hitch on Amazon, there was a $15 off coupon for it. My appointment for installation is next week. Can anyone answer this question? It came with a spacer bar, why would that be used? Great videos on YouTube with GX Bob and UHaul showing installation. I just hope Lexus doesn’t screw it up. I don’t want the hitch to rub against or push against that bumper insert and I don’t want to remove it like GX Bob says you can. Any tips to share with service department when I take it in??
The spacer plate was issued to keep from crimping the bumper trim. Make sure the service department uses it. I am like a teddy bear with boxing gloves when it comes to auto mechanics, but I installed a Curt hitch with the spacer plate in about 30 minutes. I did find torquing the bolts 80-foot pounds took a little strength but maybe there is a teenager nearby that could do that for you. Just a thought or like GX Bob says, "get your little sister to do it".
Novo (06-27-22)
Old 06-27-22, 01:22 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 254 Likes on 166 Posts

I just scored a practically brand OEM class IV hitch for $200 off Facebook. He even threw in OEM crossbars for free. I am psyched
The following 3 users liked this post by Peacebay:
Kilroy88 (06-27-22), SEELEXUS (06-28-22), tqh (06-27-22)
Old 06-28-22, 10:47 AM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts

Lucky you! Congrats sir/ma’am.

Planning to place an order for OEM crossbars over the weekend.

Originally Posted by Peacebay
I just scored a practically brand OEM class IV hitch for $200 off Facebook. He even threw in OEM crossbars for free. I am psyched
Old 06-28-22, 03:47 PM
skrypj
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

It seems like there are a few parts websites that have them as well as ebay

PT228-60140
Old 06-28-22, 04:01 PM
Kilroy88
8th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Today , I called 3 places who advertised on line that they were in stock and OEM...they were not in stock , no one had them and I was told that Lexus had their dealers ship the Class 4 Hitches back to the warehouse . One Lexus dealer told me that today they received a notice that the Class 4's will be available again at the end of August 2022. I reminded him how they claimed we'd have them by May and that never happened . He also told me they've had a lot of complaints about this since it's False Advertising at this point. Seems like Lexus decided to keep quiet about the issue so ....all we can do is wait and hope they resolve this.
SEELEXUS (06-29-22)
Old 06-28-22, 04:07 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,616 Likes on 2,367 Posts

I am hearing probably late August... could slip to September but will be released under a new Part Number.

SEELEXUS (06-29-22)
Old 06-28-22, 07:59 PM
IOP
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Acrad
I am hearing probably late August... could slip to September but will be released under a new Part Number.
I am sorry if I missed it but do we know if there is an issue with the original design? I have the OEM hitch on our '16.
Old 06-28-22, 08:13 PM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 373 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by IOP
I am sorry if I missed it but do we know if there is an issue with the original design? I have the OEM hitch on our '16.
No indication other than some have heard fit or rubbing on some of the new trim. I would not worry about a safety issue, if there was there would be a recall, Lexus would not want to expose themselves to a liability class action suit.
Old 06-30-22, 08:58 AM
jlficken
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad

So basically a whole year without the availability of the OEM hitch yet they keep pushing the vehicles towing capabilities in ads....good job Lexus

Could you post the new part # when it's announced?

I don't want to buy it from them after getting the runaround for the last 9 months but there's sadly no other option for the GX in a Class IV hitch which is a shame.

Quick Reply: 2022-2023 Tow hitch receiver.