GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Weather Information

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-22, 09:36 AM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Weather Information

As a new owner of a 2022 GX I get 3 months free satellite radio. Is the weather information you get under Information linked to satellite radio? The reason I am asking is that I don't listen to satellite radio that much and am not planning to renew my free access. I do like the ability to see the forecast and Dopler radar that you can display on the infotainment screen.
Old 01-08-22, 10:13 AM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Received 206 Likes on 115 Posts

I wonder if it uses the SIM our trucks have. I believe we get 4GB/3-months of free data, but I don't know if the traffic, weather, etc. uses that or not.
Old 01-08-22, 12:51 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

I thought starting 2014, all weather and traffic info are based on HD radio, not with satellite radio anymore. There is no subscription required for weather and traffic info.
Old 01-08-22, 02:28 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

I went out to the garage and turned on Accessory. The radio was on a FM station. I went to Info, and then choose weather which I got. I then tried the weather map and got a message to try again later. I then changed from FM to a Satellight XM station. Tried the weather map again and got it. Then I changed back to FM and still had the map. Turned Accessory off and then back on again. Radio still on FM and was able to get map. So, you are right about the weather and traffic tied to FM HD. I did not try the map with the radio off. Main thing is that I learned that I don't need to take out a subscription with Satellight radio to get the weather and map.
Old 01-08-22, 04:34 PM
tntcandy
Intermediate

Received 230 Likes on 139 Posts

I recall reading that XM was free for 3 month, but Lexus Enform has weather and traffic for 10 years included

A little off topic, I'm surprised the XM is still alive, their pricing compared to using your phone and the music, weather apps and maps for traffic.

Old 01-08-22, 04:51 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tntcandy
I recall reading that XM was free for 3 month, but Lexus Enform has weather and traffic for 10 years included

A little off topic, I'm surprised the XM is still alive, their pricing compared to using your phone and the music, weather apps and maps for traffic.
I am not in the GX that long to go to the golf course, grocery store, etc., to listen to the radio. I usually listen to sports talk when I have radio on or music on CD's. I do like the clear sound and could appreciate Satellight XM if I was going on trips all the time but can't justify the expense for what little time I would use it. I have read that you can negotiate lower prices for plans that are below their platinum level, but it is almost impossible to cancel once they have your credit card. They have called and given me a price I could live with but only for 6 months. Then the price jumps up and you would have to call and re-negotiate,etc. It's not worth the hassle to me to have to do this.