Search this Thread

Old 01-09-22, 11:08 AM
Novelectro
10th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front facing carseat question

**Edit - 2nd row are captains chairs**

Hi Guys

Wondering if anyone went through this and found a solution. I realize this probably isn't the typical question since it's not about nodding or aftermarket stuff but hopefully someone knows.

I recently changed my 3.5 year old daughter's car seat from a rear facing to a front facing. It installs fine and everything, but the height of the carseat "butt position" doesn't work well with the back of the front seat. Because the GX front seats have sort of a dramatic curve toward the top of the seatback, her feet are always touching the seatback. There is so much room below that area though but the height of the car seat means her feet dont dangle that low.

I'm not sure if I'm describing this well enough but hopefully someone understands.

Anyway, I'm wondering if it's more of a carseat issue or if it just is what it is. Shes using the Chicco MyFit Harness + Booster Carseat which seems to be universally loved and I dont see anyone complaining about the seat height.

Has anyone run into this issue and found a solution or a front facing car seat that was "low enough" to have your child's feet comfortably hang behind the front seat?
Old 01-09-22, 11:55 AM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Received 207 Likes on 115 Posts

Can you provide pictures?
Old 01-10-22, 06:10 AM
Novelectro
10th Gear

The photo probably doesnt show the problem very well. But basically she is so high up from the seat and her legs dont exactly hang off of it, they just sort of go straight out. And because the angle of the front seat back arches back up high, her feet are always touching it, even if I move up pretty substantially (and I'm 6'3" so I don't want to compromise on my space too much).

So it seems I need to find a new car seat but they don't really do a great job of telling you how high up the seating position starts relative to the height of the seat overall.
Old 01-10-22, 06:17 AM
Seanzky
Intermediate

That's definitely a car seat problem. If there's nothing else you can try with seat adjustments, car seat adjustments, etc. and if you don't want to buy a new car seat, though, you can get one of these. It might not make sense to buy a new car seat anyway. Kids outgrow those things so quickly.

Amazon Amazon

Old 01-10-22, 06:39 AM
Novelectro
10th Gear

Yea already have one of those on the way. The issue is more that shes complaining that she doesnt have room.
Old 01-10-22, 06:53 AM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Novelectro
Yea already have one of those on the way. The issue is more that shes complaining that she doesnt have room.
Unless you drive a minivan, I think even big SUVs like a Tahoe and Suburban will look like this for you. You're tall, she seems tall for her age, the car seat has a thick seatback and thick seat. I recall my kids' car seats having thinner profiles, but I don't recall which brand and model.
Old 01-12-22, 08:36 PM
arags
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You could try to use a pool noodle cut to length to make the carseat more upright. I recall we did that with our rear facing seats and it was kosher. Because my wife is really finicky about the car seat safety and I remember she was fine with it. So I think you could put the pool noodle or stack a couple of them under the rear of the carseat to provide a lift if that makes sense.
Not sure if that was helpful
Old 01-13-22, 09:36 AM
MrTorgue
Instructor

Received 354 Likes on 235 Posts

The photo probably doesnt show the problem very well. But basically she is so high up from the seat and her legs dont exactly hang off of it, they just sort of go straight out. And because the angle of the front seat back arches back up high, her feet are always touching it, even if I move up pretty substantially (and I'm 6'3" so I don't want to compromise on my space too much).

So it seems I need to find a new car seat but they don't really do a great job of telling you how high up the seating position starts relative to the height of the seat overall.
A lower profile car seat may help, a bit. Here’s the one we use. Her feet can touch but only if she wants them to.
Attached Thumbnails Front facing carseat question-ac1033af-8784-4347-a3de-0206381b09ad.jpeg  
The following users liked this post:
Seanzky (01-13-22)
Old 01-13-22, 10:41 AM
Novelectro
10th Gear

Originally Posted by MrTorgue
A lower profile car seat may help, a bit. Here’s the one we use. Her feet can touch but only if she wants them to.
That definitely looks like the seat is lower than ours. What model is it and how old is your daughter?
Old 01-13-22, 01:21 PM
MrTorgue
Instructor

Received 354 Likes on 235 Posts

That definitely looks like the seat is lower than ours. What model is it and how old is your daughter?
She’s about a month shy of 3 years old. She’s in the 90% in height so she is pretty tall for her age. This is a very good very sturdy car seat. It’ll convert to a booster seat when the kiddo gets older. We bought two and another set of cup holders and are very pleased with it.

Link:
Amazon Amazon
Old 01-13-22, 06:53 PM
mello03
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MrTorgue
x2 for Diono. We have 2 of them and they are about as compact as you can get while still being safe. My 4 year old loves them and she’s picky. Gets that from her mom.
The following users liked this post:
MrTorgue (01-13-22)