Gx 460 Under Carriage Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-22, 04:46 PM
CvilleGx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gx 460 Under Carriage Pictures

Hi All,

Used to have a 2014 Gx 460. I miss it so much that I’m considering buying another 2014 Gx. I found one with low miles and a good maintenance record.

However, I got the salesperson to send me some undercarriage pics. They look a little sketchy to me, but I’m no expert by any means.

Looks like maybe some salt corrosion? Any undercarriage experts (no pun intended)? Trying to figure out if I should pull the trigger or wait for a better option.

Old 01-12-22, 05:35 PM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Received 207 Likes on 115 Posts

I agree with your assessment though I'm no expert either. I've lived in NYC all my life before moving down to TX 3 years ago and that looks very familiar, if you know what I mean.
Old 01-12-22, 06:39 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 99 Posts

the salt is making it worst than it is, but this is solely up to you.

id check the bottom of the doors especially the barn door and the door sill plate, the last two are the where i missed to look in all my excitement, had i seen it i would have kept waiting.

ill post some pics tomorrow.
Old 01-13-22, 04:20 AM
CvilleGx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Seanzky
I agree with your assessment though I'm no expert either. I've lived in NYC all my life before moving down to TX 3 years ago and that looks very familiar, if you know what I mean.
Thanks for the reply. Yea, was really excited since it had such a good history. Will just wait and try to find something outside snow/salt belt.
Old 01-13-22, 04:22 AM
CvilleGx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by WRD4chano
the salt is making it worst than it is, but this is solely up to you.

id check the bottom of the doors especially the barn door and the door sill plate, the last two are the where i missed to look in all my excitement, had i seen it i would have kept waiting.

ill post some pics tomorrow.
The car is about 3 hours drive away my from locatIon, unfortunately. I could try to get the sales rep to send some pics. Thanks for your feedback.
Old 01-13-22, 06:03 AM
schwein
Pit Crew

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

I would say for a 2014 that has lived in the North East this is not bad at all... especially if it was never underoacted. you'll get people from Texas and AZ who will scream that this thing is rotted out.. but in reality this 2014 is probably in better shape than 90% of the cars on the road in the North East that are this old, you should look at any 2014 Dodge, the whole frame will be brown from rust! All I see on these photos is some rust on the bolts (typical) and along the welds (also typical). There may be rott inside you cant see, but from these photos it does not look out of the ordinary. the big worries I have with these frames are when the rust starts going through the frame, and there are chunks missing and holes int he frame, i would ask the dealer to send better shots of the back half of the vehicle where the rear bumper is, that's a usual spot that goes first (like around the spare tire).
Old 01-13-22, 06:43 AM
jphowey
Rookie

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a northeast 2010 that I got last year with 130,000 miles after looking for a while.

Mine was a bit worse than this with rust. The front skid plate and fuel tank shield were really badly rusted. In fact, the front skid plate was so bad I replaced it, after retapping a sheared off missing bolt. Otherwise, it was mostly the nuisance (but not really problematic) spot rust on bolts, welds and joints, as noted by another poster.

I do Fluidfilm the underside generously with compressor and gun. I'm going to try PB's Blaster Surface Shield next after seeing some testimonials about its long term adherence being superior to Fluidfilm.

Sometimes I regret not waiting for the "perfect" vehicle, but it was local, color and interior I wanted,, lower mileage, and good price. (And the "perfect" used vehicle doesn't exist...) Since prices have only gotten worse, I feel a little better that I acted then.

Yours looks very good by comparison. For example, fuel tank shield looks great. But I would agree with asking dealer to run it through underside wash and get you more pics without salt.

If other factors are favorable, personally I'd still consider the vehicle.

Good luck. The vehicle is so great otherwise, I'm very happy and I bet you will be as well.
Old 01-13-22, 12:51 PM
CvilleGx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by schwein
I would say for a 2014 that has lived in the North East this is not bad at all... especially if it was never underoacted. you'll get people from Texas and AZ who will scream that this thing is rotted out.. but in reality this 2014 is probably in better shape than 90% of the cars on the road in the North East that are this old, you should look at any 2014 Dodge, the whole frame will be brown from rust! All I see on these photos is some rust on the bolts (typical) and along the welds (also typical). There may be rott inside you cant see, but from these photos it does not look out of the ordinary. the big worries I have with these frames are when the rust starts going through the frame, and there are chunks missing and holes int he frame, i would ask the dealer to send better shots of the back half of the vehicle where the rear bumper is, that's a usual spot that goes first (like around the spare tire).
Yep, the vehicle is located near the Philly area, so definitely in the salt belt. I'll see if I can get dealer to send the pics of the rear. Thanks for you feedback!
Old 01-13-22, 12:58 PM
CvilleGx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jphowey
I have a northeast 2010 that I got last year with 130,000 miles after looking for a while.

Mine was a bit worse than this with rust. The front skid plate and fuel tank shield were really badly rusted. In fact, the front skid plate was so bad I replaced it, after retapping a sheared off missing bolt. Otherwise, it was mostly the nuisance (but not really problematic) spot rust on bolts, welds and joints, as noted by another poster.

I do Fluidfilm the underside generously with compressor and gun. I'm going to try PB's Blaster Surface Shield next after seeing some testimonials about its long term adherence being superior to Fluidfilm.

Sometimes I regret not waiting for the "perfect" vehicle, but it was local, color and interior I wanted,, lower mileage, and good price. (And the "perfect" used vehicle doesn't exist...) Since prices have only gotten worse, I feel a little better that I acted then.

Yours looks very good by comparison. For example, fuel tank shield looks great. But I would agree with asking dealer to run it through underside wash and get you more pics without salt.

If other factors are favorable, personally I'd still consider the vehicle.

Good luck. The vehicle is so great otherwise, I'm very happy and I bet you will be as well.
Same situation here. The exact exterior and interior colors I want. Also, has low miles and has been serviced mostly at the Lexus dealership. Appreciate your feedback!
Old 01-13-22, 03:37 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 349 Likes on 231 Posts

Honestly I’d keep looking and look in the southern states. If you plan on keeping it long term get the best specimen you can and avoid an emotional decision.
The following users liked this post:
Seanzky (01-13-22)