GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

rebuild or replace calipers

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-22, 02:35 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 129 Likes on 98 Posts

if anyone can share their experience with stainless steel brake lines, please do!

Originally Posted by tntcandy
You learn from mistakes, some learn more than others

I would have gone with new parts and done it myself, had not thought about the reman from Autozone or similar.
bothered me a bit after reading his post. i used to work there, how did i not think of that!

Originally Posted by IanB2
I would be very surprised if all 4 of your calipers were seized at the same time, seems very unlikely.
its the rears are very bad. every time i brake you can hear them grinding badly and they continue to grind afterwards.

whenever i reverse they will make the truck jerk every tire rotation. occasionally the truck wont even creep forward while in drive.

1/19
and they failed

Last edited by WRD4chano; 01-19-22 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-19-22, 08:29 AM
GXLUX
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

That sucks.
Do you have a service history on this vehicle for fluid changes on the brakes?
Is this a corrosion issue due to salt and snow?
Old 01-19-22, 08:44 AM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Originally Posted by GXLUX
That sucks.
Do you have a service history on this vehicle for fluid changes on the brakes?
Is this a corrosion issue due to salt and snow?

its due to corrosion, i had the brake fluid flushed last year.
The following users liked this post:
GXLUX (01-19-22)
Old 01-19-22, 03:28 PM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Received 207 Likes on 115 Posts

Ah, that makes sense now. Sorry to hear this happen to you. I know you said you ordered the parts and will have a shop do it, but if you feel brave enough this is a DIY that many beginners can do. The hardest part is probably flushing the brake fluid, but even that's simple.

Good luck getting it fixed!
Old 01-19-22, 05:40 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Originally Posted by Seanzky
Ah, that makes sense now. Sorry to hear this happen to you. I know you said you ordered the parts and will have a shop do it, but if you feel brave enough this is a DIY that many beginners can do. The hardest part is probably flushing the brake fluid, but even that's simple.

Good luck getting it fixed!

dont you need techstrem to flush the brake fluid, or can i be done like any car on the road?

regardless to replace all four is three hundred dollars, which is less than it'll cost to tow it around.

now i need some clarification...my brake fluid reservoir is now empty and the vehicle will need to be turned on two or three more times before getting fixed, would it be smart to buy some brake fluid to avoid damage to the hydraulic system? @Acrad
Old 01-19-22, 05:51 PM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 379 Likes on 211 Posts

Yes try to keep brake fluid in the reservoir. One of your biggest challenges now will be to bleed the brakes and make sure you get all the air out of the abs system. There are numerous small passages in the abs module which can be a real pain to bleed completely
The following 2 users liked this post by IanG:
Seanzky (01-20-22), WRD4chano (01-19-22)
Old 01-20-22, 06:20 AM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Received 207 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by IanG
Yes try to keep brake fluid in the reservoir. One of your biggest challenges now will be to bleed the brakes and make sure you get all the air out of the abs system. There are numerous small passages in the abs module which can be a real pain to bleed completely
What IanG said. That's the part that I think is the hardest to DIY only because it's tedious and repetitive. You have to keep checking levels, pumping the bubbles out, and if you're somewhat paranoid, good luck. Haha. But seriously, the whole job (calipers and brake fluid) is a very good DIY project. It's the same as any other car. There are good YouTube videos out there that outline everything step by step.
The following users liked this post:
WRD4chano (01-20-22)