GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Sirius XM

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-22 | 05:20 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Default Sirius XM

I am on my 3-month free Sirius XM radio and have been bombarded from Sirius XM to extend another 3 months free for a $2 handling fee. After that my credit card will be billed $22.95 a month. Although I do not listen to the radio that much except when driving my new GX, I cannot justify $23 a month to listen to XM radio as I just do not drive that much except to the golf course, grocery store, shopping, etc. I am retired and do not travel that much. I was wondering what the GX owners that have XM radio, do you pay $23 a month for the platinum plan, or do you pay a cheaper sum for a reduced XM experience? Or do you just say forget it, I'm not paying to listen to XM radio when I can listen to FM radio for free?
Old 01-13-22 | 05:40 PM
MrTorgue
Instructor

I just use iHeart radio steamed from my phone because as you said XM is super bloody expensive. I cannot justify their price whatsoever.
Old 01-13-22 | 06:49 PM
mello03
Pit Crew

I had XM/Sirius for many years and finally dropped it. I never paid close to 23 bucks per month. It’s nice if you drive a lot for news, sports, talk etc. The problem is that if you want it for a decent price (like 5-8 bucks per month) you have to battle with them every time to get a good price. It gets old playing games for good prices and they always want your credit car on file and try to renew.
Old 01-13-22 | 06:51 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

I won’t even activate my trial with them on my new GX after the hoops it took to unsubscribe after having it for a couple of years on my 4Runner.
Old 01-13-22 | 07:15 PM
LHH
Driver School Candidate

I have had Sirius xm on and off with different Lexus models, and if you wait a few months they will send you an invite for a $60. Package that has most selections of music and news. My GX dealer told me this last year when I bought my 2021, and I got it.

However, if you want to cancel, you will need to CALL them to get it stopped and not automatically renewed.

Old 01-14-22 | 03:15 AM
Novo
Driver School Candidate

Default Don’t overpay

$6.53 a month. This is the monthly charge I negotiated after that special $2 deal. I think that is worth it! They originally wanted to charge me $26 and change a month and I told them I was a long term customer and $26 was too much and asked what other promos/deals they had, and I got the $6 and change/month.
Old 01-14-22 | 05:50 AM
tntcandy
Intermediate

XM is in my eyes outdated now with smart phones, we use Apple Music and stream (I did install Beat Sonic Car Play)

Had XM in my company car, Explorer and during a longer road trip I noticed that their music channels repeated the songs, maybe if you listen to sports/news it might be something, but for music I find it waste of money.
Old 01-14-22 | 06:11 AM
Piney1
Intermediate

I use Spotify Premium, no ads and 5 users with no disc jockeys to listen to - it is about $17.27 per month. The custom channels, variety and all make it my favorite. That, and audible as I love audiobooks but really dislike XM.
Old 01-14-22 | 09:24 AM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Novo
$6.53 a month. This is the monthly charge I negotiated after that special $2 deal. I think that is worth it! They originally wanted to charge me $26 and change a month and I told them I was a long term customer and $26 was too much and asked what other promos/deals they had, and I got the $6 and change/month.
What stations do you get for the $6 a month deal? What does Sirius XM limit?
Old 01-14-22 | 10:03 AM
jer
Instructor

I also get for $6/month. Tell them you will cancel & they should offer you a 6month or 1 yr package that works out to $5-$6 per month. Then they tell you after that they will bill you the going rate on your credit card. To circumvent them charging your card, tell them to send you a bill & you'll pay by check. That's what I do, then I hold onto the bill & call them just before the rate is due to expire and 'renegotiate'.
The following users liked this post:
Piney1 (01-15-22)
Old 01-14-22 | 10:35 AM
ASE
Pole Position

"R U Serious" ... these endless subscription services are all out of control ... Satellite, Cable, Software, Apps, Streaming ... etc ... each an easy monthly service fee, but add them all up ... on an annual basis is an insane amount of money. Your call on the value, but when Streaming using a smartphone in the car offers a broader range of choices, Satellite radio IMHO is a bad value proposition. I do not understand why Satellite Radio even exists at this point in time.

Last edited by ASE; 01-14-22 at 10:39 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ASE:
MrTorgue (01-14-22), Piney1 (01-15-22)
Old 01-15-22 | 08:08 AM
blschaefer
Driver School Candidate

If you call and threaten to cancel, you can get a “promo” rate of about $6 per month. The promo rate typically lasts 6 months or a year. Just put a reminder on your calendar to call and threaten to cancel again before the promo expires, then they will extend it again. Been doing this drill on all my cars for years.
Novo (01-16-22)
Old 01-15-22 | 08:29 AM
12vrc
Rookie

I canceled last night after having it for over 2 years. I use the app more than the radio service. The guys like to listen to hair nation on job sites. The offer presented to me last night was $8.33 for 6 months of platinum package. My mind was set on canceling so I declined. I was paying 6 month for the music and entertainment package. We really only listened to 5 stations and when I statutes added more to the presets I notice 3 stations with different names but same music type was really kiss fm out of LA. The same song was on all three stations.
ASE (01-15-22)
Old 01-15-22 | 08:42 AM
ASE
Pole Position

... best to pay for these services using PayPal ... very easy to kill future payments via PayPal ... otherwise these leaches make it extremely difficult to stop forward payments if they have your direct credit card on file.
Old 01-15-22 | 12:37 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ASE
... best to pay for these services using PayPal ... very easy to kill future payments via PayPal ... otherwise these leaches make it extremely difficult to stop forward payments if they have your direct credit card on file.
Most credit cards will stop payments on disputed bills if you call and have exhausted your patience with a business that did not deliver a product or service to your satisfaction.

I am getting a pretty good idea that I don't want to have to hassle with a company on services I really don't think I will use that much. I may like it for $6 to $8 a month but not more.

Quick Reply: Sirius XM