GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Lexus GX460 vs. Mercedes GLE450

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-22, 01:31 PM
USAdriver
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus GX460 vs. Mercedes GLE450

My wife loves her 91,000 mile 2017 Lexus GX 460 which we bought new. Aside from a mechanical problem solved during the first month of ownership, it’s been a wonderful vehicle. Reliable, terrific ride, plenty of room, no problem with Northeast winter travel, and the best car we have had for long trips. It has been far better than the Toyota Sequoia, Acura MDX, and Honda Pilot of the past.
She has her eye on a new Mercedes Benz GLE 450. She says buying another GX 460 is boring. Hard to disagree. I want better technology but don’t want to give up reliability. Are we making a mistake? I realize we are talking to a Lexus community, but would like to hear what others think.

Thanks!
Old 01-15-22, 01:44 PM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Received 207 Likes on 115 Posts

My neighbor sold his M5 and bought the GLE right after I sold my Taco to buy the GX. His Benz has way better tech, has all the creature comforts, these cool interior LEDs that change colors, etc. I think he even paid less than I did for my GX. I didn't have the heart to tell him that he should have leased, because his Benz' value will tank way below my GX in no time while my GX won't. I would advise the same to you and your wife. If you want to lease, there are plenty of choices in the $60k range, provided you find one selling for MSRP and no mark-up. Lease the GLE. Lease an Audi or any Euro you want. However, if you want to buy, I would pass on all of the above and get the GX. There's just no comparing when it comes to longevity.

Last edited by Seanzky; 01-15-22 at 02:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Piney1 (01-17-22)
Old 01-15-22, 02:13 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

If you still love it, and don't really want to lease you could just keep it 2 more years and see what the 2024 GX550 looks like?
Old 01-15-22, 02:32 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 881 Likes on 611 Posts

If I knew it would be reliable I would love a MB GL550 for tech and performance but I can't do it.... Not sure if you are aware but the Acura MDX got bigger last year and a Type-S is coming so this could get rid of the boredom of the GX that I agree with. The problem I have is I would get the technology package that puts it at around mid $70K.
Old 01-15-22, 03:31 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 349 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by USAdriver
My wife loves her 91,000 mile 2017 Lexus GX 460 which we bought new. Aside from a mechanical problem solved during the first month of ownership, it’s been a wonderful vehicle. Reliable, terrific ride, plenty of room, no problem with Northeast winter travel, and the best car we have had for long trips. It has been far better than the Toyota Sequoia, Acura MDX, and Honda Pilot of the past.
She has her eye on a new Mercedes Benz GLE 450. She says buying another GX 460 is boring. Hard to disagree. I want better technology but don’t want to give up reliability. Are we making a mistake? I realize we are talking to a Lexus community, but would like to hear what others think.

Thanks!
Reliability is boring, so that is something you just have to get used to. Quite simply you have to choose between tech, performance and reliability. Pick two. The 2022 GX finally has updated infotainment with CarPlay / android auto so it is much better with tech. While I am Mercedes kinda guy I just cannot justify that price tag for plummeting resale value and much less reliability versus the GX.

Having said that it really is up to the spouse, happy wife happy life and all that BS.
The following 3 users liked this post by MrTorgue:
Malinois38 (01-15-22), Piney1 (01-17-22), Seanzky (01-15-22)
Old 01-15-22, 06:07 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 705 Posts

A vehicle is for driving ... so I seriously do not understand why "technology" has become THE overriding purchase criteria. Buy the Mercedes and have fun with the cost of maintenance, crap reliability and resulting depreciation. Maybe if the "Happy Wife" (per the previous post) can do simple math, the choice would be an easier more prudent decision.

Last edited by ASE; 01-15-22 at 06:13 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by ASE:
2chains (01-16-22), DSMinATL (01-16-22), Malinois38 (01-15-22), MrTorgue (01-15-22), Piney1 (01-17-22), Seanzky (01-15-22) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-15-22, 06:15 PM
phile
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I’d get the Benz.
Old 01-15-22, 08:35 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 349 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
A vehicle is for driving ... so I seriously do not understand why "technology" has become THE overriding purchase criteria. Buy the Mercedes and have fun with the cost of maintenance, crap reliability and resulting depreciation. Maybe if the "Happy Wife" (per the previous post) can do simple math, the choice would be an easier more prudent decision.
Unfortunately too many humans are obsessed with technology. It’s overriding the important things in life. But I suspect I’m a dying breed. I could care less about just about any technology. My first few cars or so didn’t even have ABS. I was lucky to have power steering. Haha.
The following 4 users liked this post by MrTorgue:
ASE (01-16-22), brutus27 (01-17-22), DSMinATL (01-16-22), IanG (01-16-22)
Old 01-15-22, 09:52 PM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Received 207 Likes on 115 Posts

After the onslaught of gimmicky tech and computer this and computer that, I've longed for a back-to-basics, reliable truck... and I've finally got one. I don't envy my neighbors' Audi Q5 or Benz GLE or any other "well-equipped" vehicles. As far as I'm concerned, my GX is more well-equipped because it's more capable.
The following 2 users liked this post by Seanzky:
ASE (01-16-22), Piney1 (01-17-22)
Old 01-16-22, 05:29 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Hey man it is your money so get what you want or need. People buy the GX for its simplicity, old school charm and it actually has a soul/personality if that means anything. Im totally satisfied with my 2022 gx with its updated infotainment. Other than a louder than my 2018 exhaust, a bit droney too, above 1800rpm, im not complaining.
Old 01-16-22, 08:58 AM
kamikazi
Driver School Candidate

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by USAdriver

Thanks!
having just sold my 21 GLE (it being my 7th MB product) I can tell you that tech wise it is superior, the dual LED is amazing inside. Having said that, MB has pushed hard to turbo 6 engines and dropping the V8. This is a deterrent to me over having a V8. On paper the MB has more in terms of on road performance ad tech. Interior quality is equal with the MB being more “cool”. Off road not the case, GX is superstar. As for value, the GX is safe the MB should be a LEASE only, it’s value will plummet. MB is relying on lease and controls the future value on a whim whereas the market controls it on purchase and you loose big.

I would encourage to wait till the new GX comes out. It will more directly compete with the MB (engine, tech, interior “coolness”, etc) and then you will have a more challenging choice.
The following 2 users liked this post by kamikazi:
Piney1 (01-17-22), Seanzky (01-16-22)
Old 01-16-22, 09:32 AM
jlficken
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by MrTorgue
Unfortunately too many humans are obsessed with technology. It’s overriding the important things in life. But I suspect I’m a dying breed. I could care less about just about any technology. My first few cars or so didn’t even have ABS. I was lucky to have power steering. Haha.
I waited for the ‘22 refresh as even though I don’t care about Apple CarPlay or Android Auto I knew if I ever sold it that the people buying it would care.

The weather map is really pretty though

The following 3 users liked this post by jlficken:
DSMinATL (01-16-22), MrTorgue (01-16-22), Piney1 (01-17-22)
Old 01-16-22, 10:24 AM
CFAI
Instructor

Originally Posted by kamikazi
having just sold my 21 GLE (it being my 7th MB product) I can tell you that tech wise it is superior, the dual LED is amazing inside. Having said that, MB has pushed hard to turbo 6 engines and dropping the V8. This is a deterrent to me over having a V8. On paper the MB has more in terms of on road performance ad tech. Interior quality is equal with the MB being more “cool”. Off road not the case, GX is superstar. As for value, the GX is safe the MB should be a LEASE only, it’s value will plummet. MB is relying on lease and controls the future value on a whim whereas the market controls it on purchase and you loose big.

I would encourage to wait till the new GX comes out. It will more directly compete with the MB (engine, tech, interior “coolness”, etc) and then you will have a more challenging choice.
Or maybe OP leases the MB for three years? Gives them a year or so to review the new GX when it comes out in '24. Personally, I would hold fire on buying/leasing a car now, since effective prices will be coming down after production/supply chain gets back up to full strength. But of course OP isn't me, and nothing wrong with wanting to switch things up. I work in tech, so the last thing I want to look at another screen when I am driving. For me a car is more like a nice piece of furniture to keep for years, but I understand for others it is more of a tech product where 'newness' is important.
The following users liked this post:
Seanzky (01-16-22)
Old 01-16-22, 10:56 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by CFAI
Or maybe OP leases the MB for three years? Gives them a year or so to review the new GX when it comes out in '24. Personally, I would hold fire on buying/leasing a car now, since effective prices will be coming down after production/supply chain gets back up to full strength. But of course OP isn't me, and nothing wrong with wanting to switch things up. I work in tech, so the last thing I want to look at another screen when I am driving. For me a car is more like a nice piece of furniture to keep for years, but I understand for others it is more of a tech product where 'newness' is important.
Could not agree more ... enough of screens. Driving should be a sanctuary experience ... not an extension of life's endless tech distractions.
The following 4 users liked this post by ASE:
brutus27 (01-17-22), CFAI (01-16-22), Piney1 (01-17-22), Seanzky (01-16-22)
Old 01-16-22, 11:29 AM
CFAI
Instructor

I hear you , but I'm not sure about 'should' - people have different preferences than I do. That's why maybe for the OP the MB is a good fit - really depends. My buddy has a Macan GTS and totally loves it and all the tech. I wouldn't want that thing - but no way I want that thing. Conversely, the GX would be terrible for him.

Quick Reply: Lexus GX460 vs. Mercedes GLE450