GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2023 Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-22, 07:27 AM
jlficken
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

I find it hilarious they didn’t even use a Black Line Edition vehicle image in the Black Line Editoon announcement 🤣
The following users liked this post:
Bob2023gx (11-08-22)
Old 08-20-22, 08:28 AM
woodleathr
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Poor press releases aside, Lexus has laid the foundation to really make a splash with the GX550. I agree with the sentiment that infotainment talks are often overblown, but there's no reason the previous system should have made it beyond 2016, let alone 2020.

I'm an unmarried, well travelled, 35 year old man. I was preparing to get a BMW X6 going into this winter but then I landed a job with Toyota North America. I now find myself having to shop Lexus vehicles. The RX is the definition of "humdrum" (though the Fsport package helps significantly with the styling), and the LX is a boat, so that left me looking at the GX. I had literally never even heard of the vehicle until a month ago, so you can imagine my shock when i saw the inside of the 2021. The modern buyer isn't always looking for Tesla gadgets, but the 2020/2021 center console is an outright brand liability. I see the oldheads downplaying it as "just apple car play", but we all know if Lexus put carplay in that 2020 infotainment design it would still be a garbage offering by today's standards. The 2022+ models center console is perfectly adequate to this model's identity, and should be sufficient for any person not shopping a Tesla or new Land Rover vehicle.

GX550 could be an absolute grand slam if they modernize the back half of the exterior, and offer it with a TwinTurbo V6 AND the V8. It'll let the boomers lean into their "mUh ReLiAbiLiTy", while offering millennials an engine that makes over 10 miles per gallon for us to "jump curbs at starbucks". I've watched enough youtube videos on the GX to where I've bought into the "old school charm" narrative, because i truly don't have any desire for gigantic tablets and night club lights inside but holy crap these 2022/2023 GXs are the only viable options for the millennial city buyer. Will end up leasing the 2023 for two years, buying it out at the end, selling it to the offroad/reliability shoppers and going to be all over the 550 like white on snow.

Last edited by woodleathr; 08-20-22 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-20-22, 12:29 PM
2chains
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Justed priced out a 2023 Signature Edition Blackline here in Canada. $84,XXX here in Alberta. Trying to find some good interior videos.
This is a factory order will other incentives come around?
Old 08-20-22, 10:52 PM
GX4602011
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by woodleathr
Poor press releases aside, Lexus has laid the foundation to really make a splash with the GX550. I agree with the sentiment that infotainment talks are often overblown, but there's no reason the previous system should have made it beyond 2016, let alone 2020.

I'm an unmarried, well travelled, 35 year old man. I was preparing to get a BMW X6 going into this winter but then I landed a job with Toyota North America. I now find myself having to shop Lexus vehicles. The RX is the definition of "humdrum" (though the Fsport package helps significantly with the styling), and the LX is a boat, so that left me looking at the GX. I had literally never even heard of the vehicle until a month ago, so you can imagine my shock when i saw the inside of the 2021. The modern buyer isn't always looking for Tesla gadgets, but the 2020/2021 center console is an outright brand liability. I see the oldheads downplaying it as "just apple car play", but we all know if Lexus put carplay in that 2020 infotainment design it would still be a garbage offering by today's standards. The 2022+ models center console is perfectly adequate to this model's identity, and should be sufficient for any person not shopping a Tesla or new Land Rover vehicle.

GX550 could be an absolute grand slam if they modernize the back half of the exterior, and offer it with a TwinTurbo V6 AND the V8. It'll let the boomers lean into their "mUh ReLiAbiLiTy", while offering millennials an engine that makes over 10 miles per gallon for us to "jump curbs at starbucks". I've watched enough youtube videos on the GX to where I've bought into the "old school charm" narrative, because i truly don't have any desire for gigantic tablets and night club lights inside but holy crap these 2022/2023 GXs are the only viable options for the millennial city buyer. Will end up leasing the 2023 for two years, buying it out at the end, selling it to the offroad/reliability shoppers and going to be all over the 550 like white on snow.
You being 'well travelled', that includes internationally? I ask because I'm surprised that you seem to be unaware of the GX460's true identity, it's extensive reputation of durability and dependability in the global market is legendary. Look up 'Toyota Prado'. The GX460 behind the grandiose oversized bumper covers sits the Toyota J150, AKA the Toyota Prado. A vehicle typically equipped with a 2.8d-4d engine (some markets 2.7L 4cyl & 4.0 V6 gasoline), usual to be equipped with dual fuel tanks and a spare bolted to the rear door. You'll find them fording glacier rivers in Iceland, traversing the Simpson desert in central Australia, meandering vast safari landscapes of Africa. White painted versions with steel wheels used by the UN. Police forces in Australia, the Middle East and other countries use them too.
https://www.toyota.com.au/prado
https://www.toyota.co.uk/new-cars/land-cruiser
https://www.toyota.co.za/ranges/land-cruiser-prado
https://www.toyota.com.sa/en/vehicles/suv/Prado
https://www.toyota.is/new-cars/land-cruiser

This is why some here buy the GX, it is a legend outside the US. Sure it is no J70s series, but it is a popular (in Aus) choice from reliable Toyota for a relatively comfortably, economically and capable 'all-roads' vehicle.
The following 7 users liked this post by GX4602011:
DSMinATL (08-21-22), hzhao (08-21-22), jlficken (08-21-22), SEELEXUS (08-21-22), tntcandy (08-21-22), ukcats (08-21-22), Vlad6525 (08-21-22) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-21-22, 04:21 PM
jdam
Driver

Received 80 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by GX4602011
You being 'well travelled', that includes internationally? I ask because I'm surprised that you seem to be unaware of the GX460's true identity, it's extensive reputation of durability and dependability in the global market is legendary. Look up 'Toyota Prado'. The GX460 behind the grandiose oversized bumper covers sits the Toyota J150, AKA the Toyota Prado. A vehicle typically equipped with a 2.8d-4d engine (some markets 2.7L 4cyl & 4.0 V6 gasoline), usual to be equipped with dual fuel tanks and a spare bolted to the rear door. You'll find them fording glacier rivers in Iceland, traversing the Simpson desert in central Australia, meandering vast safari landscapes of Africa. White painted versions with steel wheels used by the UN. Police forces in Australia, the Middle East and other countries use them too.
https://www.toyota.com.au/prado
https://www.toyota.co.uk/new-cars/land-cruiser
https://www.toyota.co.za/ranges/land-cruiser-prado
https://www.toyota.com.sa/en/vehicles/suv/Prado
https://www.toyota.is/new-cars/land-cruiser

This is why some here buy the GX, it is a legend outside the US. Sure it is no J70s series, but it is a popular (in Aus) choice from reliable Toyota for a relatively comfortably, economically and capable 'all-roads' vehicle.
And if you think the GX/150 Prado interior is outdated, wait til you see the 79s that they still sell new in Aus. The whole thing, not just the interior.
GX4602011 (08-22-22)
Old 08-21-22, 06:33 PM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 320 Likes on 217 Posts

I landed a job with Toyota North America.
I now find myself having to shop Lexus vehicles.
The RX is the definition of "humdrum"
It'll let the boomers lean into their "mUh ReLiAbiLiTy", while offering millennials an engine that makes over 10 miles per gallon for us to "jump curbs at starbucks".
Of course you know that your new employer, Toyota/Lexus, doesn't just sell to single millennials, right? I mean, many of these people you are dismissing are here, on this board, spending their free time talking about your products and your brand, and are now your customers. Empathy is a core foundation for customer success/service and coming onto to this forum and being so dismissive to many of your loyal customers seems like an odd way to start your new gig.
Just going to add from one well traveled person to another, that while I was in Japan I learned the term Omotenashi - I try to always be aware of it as I run my own company. As you are now part of a Japanese company you might also find it of particular interest and use as well.

Last edited by CFAI; 08-21-22 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Omotenashi
The following 8 users liked this post by CFAI:
DSMinATL (08-27-22), GX4602011 (08-22-22), PHOUND5 (11-27-22), SEELEXUS (08-22-22), Siblue (08-21-22), storey13 (01-13-23), tntcandy (08-22-22), ukcats (08-23-22) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-21-22, 08:05 PM
corolla6mt
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by llq
Did the price go up for 2023 ?
For CAD Website, the spec information for signature trim is incorrect. It stated that it includes air suspension as standard but it is actually part of the premium package. You may want to confirm with your dealer if you want the adjustable suspension.
2023 Canadian Premium Package went up by about $1000, 80K to 81K
I think Canadian Premium (plus) Package is USA Luxury Package

Last edited by corolla6mt; 08-22-22 at 12:10 AM.
Old 08-22-22, 09:23 AM
woodleathr
Rookie

Yeah, I lived in Paris for 2 years, worked from Sweden for 6 months, as well as some shorter stints in England, Spain, Dubai, and a few other places. On the tail end of my rant I mentioned that I bought into the oldschool charm and don't believe Lexus needs to get into the "gadget wars" with Land Rover and Mercedes. I'm just saying the "true identity of durability and dependability" that you speak of doesn't need to be at the cost of modern styling adjustments.

Lexus is a luxury brand afterall, so tiny (luxury) adjustments such as diamond contrast stitching on the seats which can be found on a Grand Cherokee these days, would stop shoppers from seeing car reviews of this vehicle that have headlines like "Simple, Charming, Stupid". Additionally, a lot of the features that could *potentially* affect reliability are often offered as options in other vehicles. Wireless phone charging, panoramic roof, TTv6 engine... there's no reason why these type of options need to be put into a position that could compromise the model's reputation.

If you look at toyota's truck&suv lineup they have a very nice selection of drivetrain options v6/v8/hybrid etc. However with Lexus, the LX and GX have one drive train. I'm certain that's due to manufacture cost savings since these models aren't exactly high sellers like the ES and RX are for Lexus. I'm just pointing out that there's room to retain your original customers while expanding to new customers, and you can retain reliability/dependability with modern looks. I've worked for several fortune500 companies, and i'm almost certain this comes down to internal work capacity of their teams, supply chains, and costs. This is why Toyotas gets all the new cool gadgets first, then the ES/RX, then the "niche models" like the LX/GX. They have to churn out the updates for the highest volume sellers first. That makes most business sense, but the GX550 can't come soon enough for the younger buyers that want a Lexus vehicle in this segment.

Last edited by woodleathr; 08-22-22 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-22-22, 03:38 PM
GX4602011
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Yeah, I lived in Paris for 2 years, worked from Sweden for 6 months, as well as some shorter stints in England, Spain, Dubai, and a few other places. On the tail end of my rant I mentioned that I bought into the oldschool charm and don't believe Lexus needs to get into the "gadget wars" with Land Rover and Mercedes. I'm just saying the "true identity of durability and dependability" that you speak of doesn't need to be at the cost of modern styling adjustments.

Lexus is a luxury brand afterall, so tiny (luxury) adjustments such as diamond contrast stitching on the seats which can be found on a Grand Cherokee these days, would stop shoppers from seeing car reviews of this vehicle that have headlines like "Simple, Charming, Stupid". Additionally, a lot of the features that could *potentially* affect reliability are often offered as options in other vehicles. Wireless phone charging, panoramic roof, TTv6 engine... there's no reason why these type of options need to be put into a position that could compromise the model's reputation.

If you look at toyota's truck&suv lineup they have a very nice selection of drivetrain options v6/v8/hybrid etc. However with Lexus, the LX and GX have one drive train. I'm certain that's due to manufacture cost savings since these models aren't exactly high sellers like the ES and RX are for Lexus. I'm just pointing out that there's room to retain your original customers while expanding to new customers, and you can retain reliability/dependability with modern looks. I've worked for several fortune500 companies, and i'm almost certain this comes down to internal work capacity of their teams, supply chains, and costs. This is why Toyotas gets all the new cool gadgets first, then the ES/RX, then the "niche models" like the LX/GX. They have to churn out the updates for the highest volume sellers first. That makes most business sense, but the GX550 can't come soon enough for the younger buyers that want a Lexus vehicle in this segment.
Well, not well traveled in regard to where you'd find Prados being used as intended. Not a lot of Prados in the UK/EU especially in cities, I would expect however that there would be a lot in Dubai. How long were you there and did you leave the city? I ask this because you wrote earlier; 'I had literally never even heard of the vehicle until a month ago...'. My point was to help you understand what the GX really is, especially as you wrote you just got a job with Toyota.

OK, just saw your replies in the 2024 GX 550 thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-gx-550-a.html
and https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post11347326 so understand you a bit more. May I suggest you visit the RX forum for what would be your best option (fuel economy [RX450h for your driving environment-city], low lease cost, no 4-wheeling, but snow in the winter) or pay more for leasing another brand like your peers.

Not to sway away from the 2023 discussion, I look forward to seeing a 2023 owner here with Sepia interior post pictures of their GXs carpet and lower plastics as they show brown on the online configurator.
Old 08-23-22, 07:37 AM
woodleathr
Rookie

Well, not well traveled in regard to where you'd find Prados being used as intended. Not a lot of Prados in the UK/EU especially in cities, I would expect however that there would be a lot in Dubai. How long were you there and did you leave the city? I ask this because you wrote earlier; 'I had literally never even heard of the vehicle until a month ago...'. My point was to help you understand what the GX really is, especially as you wrote you just got a job with Toyota.

OK, just saw your replies in the 2024 GX 550 thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-gx-550-a.html
and https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post11347326 so understand you a bit more. May I suggest you visit the RX forum for what would be your best option (fuel economy [RX450h for your driving environment-city], low lease cost, no 4-wheeling, but snow in the winter) or pay more for leasing another brand like your peers.

Not to sway away from the 2023 discussion, I look forward to seeing a 2023 owner here with Sepia interior post pictures of their GXs carpet and lower plastics as they show brown on the online configurator.
I was having this convo in the wheel thread. The RX is the perfect vehicle for 80% of peoples needs, you'll just die a little on the inside owning it. The TLDR of my gripe with the GX460 is that it's only excusable as a used car buy. If you buy a 2023 of any of the GX luxury competitors that tow over 6,000pounds (Grand Cherokee, Defender, GLE, X5) all of them will have things you can nitpick at and dislike, but you'll still largely be impressed by design or features in one way or another. Driving a 0miles, 2023 GX460 loaded with "Luxury trim" off the lot, all the buyer gets is nice ride feel, and the GXfanboy mantras that apparently come in the glove box.

- "Buttery Smooth V8"
- "The dependability and reliability..."
- "In 10 years i'll still be on the road"

Sad part is Jeep isn't even a luxury brand. Alas, the Summit Reserve Grand Cherokee is more luxurious than the GX460.
Old 08-23-22, 09:00 AM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 320 Likes on 217 Posts

I was having this convo in the wheel thread. The RX is the perfect vehicle for 80% of peoples needs, you'll just die a little on the inside owning it. The TLDR of my gripe with the GX460 is that it's only excusable as a used car buy. If you buy a 2023 of any of the GX luxury competitors that tow over 6,000pounds (Grand Cherokee, Defender, GLE, X5) all of them will have things you can nitpick at and dislike, but you'll still largely be impressed by design or features in one way or another. Driving a 0miles, 2023 GX460 loaded with "Luxury trim" off the lot, all the buyer gets is nice ride feel, and the GXfanboy mantras that apparently come in the glove box.

- "Buttery Smooth V8"
- "The dependability and reliability..."
- "In 10 years i'll still be on the road"

Sad part is Jeep isn't even a luxury brand. Alas, the Summit Reserve Grand Cherokee is more luxurious than the GX460.
You are single, live in a northeastern city (High pop density). You already took the status hit taking the job at Toyota rather than BMW/Mercedes/JLR. If you main concern is your image and impressing like minded peers, it ain't gonna happen regardless of the Toyota/Lexus model you choose. Just lease the UX250h and be done with it. That is the perfect city car, at least from Lexus/Toyota. Great gas mileage, nimble and easy to park, and the speed/performance of a car is as irrelevant as off roading ability in an urban center. I lived in Manhattan for a decade and I can't imagine the excruciating hassle of having a GX in the city - esp if single. You see a lot of Landcruiser 150's, or similar in Paris? No, because they are ridiculous there.

If you still are feeling the need for something bigger - then you can wait it out with the UX until the GX550 comes out.
GX4602011 (08-23-22)
Old 08-25-22, 01:21 PM
corolla6mt
Driver

Canadian Pricing - Black Line Special Edition seems to be best deal, but Grey Nuluxe interior looks cheap

Canadian Pricing, Black Line seems best deal but interior nuluxe grey looks cheap
Old 08-25-22, 01:47 PM
Siblue
Pit Crew

Received 134 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by corolla6mt
Canadian Pricing - Black Line Special Edition seems to be best deal, but Grey Nuluxe interior looks cheap

Canadian Pricing, Black Line seems best deal but interior nuluxe grey looks cheap
Any pics of the grey?
Old 08-25-22, 02:22 PM
corolla6mt
Driver

Originally Posted by Siblue
Any pics of the grey?

grey nuluxe

red leather
Old 08-25-22, 07:42 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by corolla6mt;[url=tel:11351105
11351105]
grey nuluxe

red leather
I really dislike the grey. Especially with a white exterior.

Quick Reply: 2023 Discussion