GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2023 Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-22 | 07:07 AM
ScaldedDog
Pit Crew

Default New 2023 owner - have some questions

After driving our new GX the 2200 miles home from FL, I have some questions, mostly related to the infotainment system:

Nanny message - Can the "CAUTION: Drive safely..." startup message be turned off, perhaps by coding with something like Carista? I know this can be done with other makes,

AA Keyboard while driving - Likewise, is there a way to enable keyboard entry while moving, particularly in Android Auto, but more generally, as well? I remember installing a Prestigious Society module in our '13 RX to enable this years ago, but I'm hoping for a simpler way this time. EDIT: I found this:
I posted a question about whether it works with AA/Carplay maps. Have any of you tried this thing?

ANOTHER EDIT: I found this article dated 2021(How to Override Lexus Navigation Motion Lock: 12 Steps (wikihow.com)), but the fine print says it doesn't work on anything newer than 2007. Again, have any of you folks tried this?

Make AA maps the default - When I start the car with my phone plugged in, my Android Auto music app starts playing, which is great. Is there a way to make the AA maps come up, too, rather than the default Lexus maps? Mapping the "Map" button to the AA/Carplay map would be nearly as good, if that's possible.

I'm sure I'll have other questions, but help on these would be terrific, for now.

Mark

Last edited by ScaldedDog; 11-09-22 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-09-22 | 12:25 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by ScaldedDog
After driving our new GX the 2200 miles home from FL, I have some questions, mostly related to the infotainment system:

Nanny message - Can the "CAUTION: Drive safely..." startup message be turned off, perhaps by coding with something like Carista? I know this can be done with other makes,

AA Keyboard while driving - Likewise, is there a way to enable keyboard entry while moving, particularly in Android Auto, but more generally, as well? I remember installing a Prestigious Society module in our '13 RX to enable this years ago, but I'm hoping for a simpler way this time. EDIT: I found this: (61) 2022 Lexus GX 460 Navigation & DVD Control Bypass - YouTube I posted a question about whether it works with AA/Carplay maps. Have any of you tried this thing?

ANOTHER EDIT: I found this article dated 2021(How to Override Lexus Navigation Motion Lock: 12 Steps (wikihow.com)), but the fine print says it doesn't work on anything newer than 2007. Again, have any of you folks tried this?

Make AA maps the default - When I start the car with my phone plugged in, my Android Auto music app starts playing, which is great. Is there a way to make the AA maps come up, too, rather than the default Lexus maps? Mapping the "Map" button to the AA/Carplay map would be nearly as good, if that's possible.

I'm sure I'll have other questions, but help on these would be terrific, for now.

Mark
For your first question, the answer is No.

To your second question, the bypass will only work with native system. The AA keyboard is disabled in app based on gps tracking information.

Third, you AA app should have the map wedge where the Home Screen displays a map window alone with other two small windows such as music player and others. If that’s what you want.
The following users liked this post:
ScaldedDog (11-09-22)
Old 11-09-22 | 06:31 PM
ScaldedDog
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by hzhao
For your first question, the answer is No.

To your second question, the bypass will only work with native system. The AA keyboard is disabled in app based on gps tracking information.

Third, you AA app should have the map wedge where the Home Screen displays a map window alone with other two small windows such as music player and others. If that’s what you want.
Thanks man. On question #3, that is kind of what I want, but I want that to be the default and not have to manually select Android Auto every time I start the car, and every time I dig into another menu. If there's a way to do that, I can't seem to figure it out.

The manufacturer of the bypass device I found claims it works on the AA and Carplay keyboards, but I'm not sure I want to spend $200 for the capability, anyway.

Mark
Old 11-10-22 | 07:22 PM
meitzler
Driver

I would be interested in other infotainment findings since I am replacing fy 17 with a 23.. Is the voice recognition significantly better? It is horrible in my 2017. I too would like to start with the default Android or iPhone maps. Can you also disable the seatbelt charm?

Old 11-10-22 | 07:27 PM
ScaldedDog
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by meitzler
I would be interested in other infotainment findings since I am replacing fy 17 with a 23.. Is the voice recognition significantly better? It is horrible in my 2017. I too would like to start with the default Android or iPhone maps. Can you also disable the seatbelt charm?
Carista says it can disable the seatbelt alarm. Lexus GX 2nd gen | Carista OBD2 supported vehicles | See what’s available for your car - Carista (caristaapp.com)

As far as voice recognition goes, it's worked fine in my '23, so far. I can't comment on how much better it is than a '17.

Mark
Old 11-10-22 | 07:29 PM
meitzler
Driver

Maybe I need to go to Texas. In the northwest the markup is between $2K & $6K, and all the dealer use the KBB cash price for trade rather than the KBB trade price. I don't mind waiting, but I just cannot get used to the new way to buy a new car. Bate and switch is common here to. Offer to put a deposit, then they tell you they just sold it. One dealer even has a raffle among their sales staff to sell the allocated vehicle. So if you use the wrong salesperson, you are waiting longer for a vehicle. Crazy times.
Old 11-10-22 | 08:03 PM
ScaldedDog
Pit Crew

I'm in CO, and bought a '23 at MSRP last week from a dealership in FL. (FL has high doc fees, so it wasn't *that* great a deal.) CA and AZ dealers who would sell to me wanted a $5K markup, and some in other places insisted on $2K worth of badly applied ceramic coating and nitrogen filled tires. Screw 'em. MSRP deals can be had, even on my slightly uncommon color combo (Atomic/Ecru). If you're OK with white exterior and red or black interior, I bet you can do better.

The implosion of the used car market is going to put a drag on new car sales, as well, IMHO.

Mark
The following users liked this post:
tntcandy (11-11-22)
Old 11-10-22 | 10:04 PM
mrb520
9th Gear

Default 2023 GX 460 blackline or wait for 2024

All I’m hoping to get some input. I negotiated a blackline GX nori green down to 60k. I asked my friend who used to be at Lexus and he said don’t buy it wait for 2024. Supposedly mpg will be way better, and he said I don’t be able to get out of mine and will lose 10k since it will be “old bodystyle” if I do want new one. Is this true? Do old models lose that much value from a new coming out? I know I wouldn’t want it year 1 of a new model but I’m shocked at the hole I could be in on a limited edition below MSRP
Old 11-10-22 | 10:15 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Depends. The new Tundra doesn’t do that much better on mileage and at least around here they cost even more since the new release.
Old 11-11-22 | 03:13 AM
tntcandy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mrb520
All I’m hoping to get some input. I negotiated a blackline GX nori green down to 60k. I asked my friend who used to be at Lexus and he said don’t buy it wait for 2024. Supposedly mpg will be way better, and he said I don’t be able to get out of mine and will lose 10k since it will be “old bodystyle” if I do want new one. Is this true? Do old models lose that much value from a new coming out? I know I wouldn’t want it year 1 of a new model but I’m shocked at the hole I could be in on a limited edition below MSRP
It's all relative, some people will love a V6TT if they use that engine and not the 2.4T I4 that is rumored to go into the next gen 4Runner.

Personally I would get and keep the V8, but that is because I like teh simplicity for teh long term compared to a turbo engine. Also as stated above, the turbo engine might not get that much better millage as teh GX ix not really designed for hyper pillaging, but it is a dressed up Land Cruiser Prado.
I'm sure teh torque band will be longer and start from lower rpm, so driving carastaeristicsi will be different, one thing that might be improved is that it will not downshift on highways under low to middle load, would love if teh current would just keep teh gear and work with it a little longer before down shifting.

I'm sure the next gen GX will be heavily updated on teh tech side including all the safety features/nannies

In teh end it is all up to you and your preferences, we personally took a 2021 GX over the 2022 as the local dealer had lost 10% discount in Sep 2021, too many 21's on the lot when the 22's started to arrive. Then I spend at that time $550 for the Beatsonic CarPlay unit and have not regretted it at all. Mainly as we keep cars 10 years plus and at that time I'll not get $6000- more in trade in for a 2022 compared to a 2021 model, so I rather keep my money.
Similar situation might occur when next gen GX's are coming, the old gen will be discounted to get them off the lot.
Old 11-11-22 | 05:03 AM
JZZFZZ
Intermediate

Originally Posted by texas008
wow..
my friend just bought a new GX460 for $6x,xxx, the MSRP (after a few month's wait).
I bought mine at MSRP in July, out of state. I was able to reject all dealer installed options but it did come with port installed options such all weather floor mats, exhaust tip, door edge film, cargo net, wheel locks, key pouches etc., total about $6-700.
Old 11-11-22 | 08:59 AM
MClex460
2nd gear

The same reason I picked up a '21 GX, the V8 and none of the new tech. Don't get me wrong the '22 system looks nice but I never minded the old system, as I still refuse to link a phone to the GX and don't take calls while driving.
The following 2 users liked this post by MClex460:
2chains (11-12-22), Seanzky (11-11-22)
Old 11-11-22 | 09:26 AM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MClex460
The same reason I picked up a '21 GX, the V8 and none of the new tech. Don't get me wrong the '22 system looks nice but I never minded the old system, as I still refuse to link a phone to the GX and don't take calls while driving.
Yup! The dealership had a new '21 on the lot in white that I really wanted, but the price was the same as a '22. I asked them if they could give me a discount instead, but this was during the crazy market last year. I only ask them to basically deduct the perceived cost of the new "tech" in the '22 and I would buy '21 on the spot. They refused to offer a discount so I just went with the '22.
Old 11-11-22 | 10:20 AM
gregGX
Driver

Originally Posted by tntcandy
It's all relative, some people will love a V6TT if they use that engine and not the 2.4T I4 that is rumored to go into the next gen 4Runner.

Personally I would get and keep the V8, but that is because I like teh simplicity for teh long term compared to a turbo engine. Also as stated above, the turbo engine might not get that much better millage as teh GX ix not really designed for hyper pillaging, but it is a dressed up Land Cruiser Prado.
I'm sure teh torque band will be longer and start from lower rpm, so driving carastaeristicsi will be different, one thing that might be improved is that it will not downshift on highways under low to middle load, would love if teh current would just keep teh gear and work with it a little longer before down shifting.

I'm sure the next gen GX will be heavily updated on teh tech side including all the safety features/nannies

In teh end it is all up to you and your preferences, we personally took a 2021 GX over the 2022 as the local dealer had lost 10% discount in Sep 2021, too many 21's on the lot when the 22's started to arrive. Then I spend at that time $550 for the Beatsonic CarPlay unit and have not regretted it at all. Mainly as we keep cars 10 years plus and at that time I'll not get $6000- more in trade in for a 2022 compared to a 2021 model, so I rather keep my money.
Similar situation might occur when next gen GX's are coming, the old gen will be discounted to get them off the lot.
Given that the dealers in the New England area have nearly zero 2022's and the 2023's are mostly spoken for before they hit the shores/let alone the dealer's lot, I don't foresee there being any surplus 2023's to get rid of. But, maybe the economic storm that is coming will slow car sales down to a hault?
Old 11-11-22 | 10:15 PM
meitzler
Driver

That is a great deal. I do not mind paying for the port installed options and MSRP based on today's market. Its the dealer installed options that are worthless like glass coatings, interior coatings, blinking break light, security systems and ceramic coating that are not done right. My current dealer has required dealer addon options that they do not even sell in the service or parts department. If only dealers could be honest and simply call it additional dealer markup. To me, this simply degrades the dealer and Lexus reputation.

Quick Reply: 2023 Discussion