GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2023 Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-22, 05:43 AM
Nori
Driver School Candidate

Received 40 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SlickTRD
that is not entirely true. regulations are there to cut emissions and increase fuel economy, not cylinders. losing cylinders is a result of cost to develop a v8 that can meet emissions as well as fuel economy.
How could a NA V8 possibly meet the fuel regulations that will be coming in the future? There is a reason why everyone is going to smaller displacement forced induction engines.

Old 02-03-22, 05:57 AM
SlickTRD
Rookie

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Nori
How could a NA V8 possibly meet the fuel regulations that will be coming in the future? There is a reason why everyone is going to smaller displacement forced induction engines.
i know why manufacturers are cutting cylinders but the regulations are not worded to cut cylinders.
Old 02-03-22, 06:22 AM
phile
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Exactly. i dont know why he’s splitting hair. it’s what the regulations is doing. setting the goal post so high no V8 can meet the requirements is telling manufacturers to limit their cylinders.
Old 02-03-22, 08:45 AM
SlickTRD
Rookie

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by phile
Exactly. i dont know why he’s splitting hair. it’s what the regulations is doing. setting the goal post so high no V8 can meet the requirements is telling manufacturers to limit their cylinders.
v8s absolutely can meet the requirements. mclaren does it. mercedes does it. aston martin does it. they are not na but they are absolutely efficient. maybe you are the one moving the goalpost just because you want it to be na.
Old 02-03-22, 04:40 PM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

If I get another GX.. it'll probably be a '24 ( hoping it'll still have a NA V8, although I wouldn't be against a FI V8 GX ) Hopefully, it'll get Pano-roof ( ) with some other goodies, and infotainment kinks ( if any ) worked out!
Old 02-03-22, 06:21 PM
Nori
Driver School Candidate

Received 40 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SlickTRD
v8s absolutely can meet the requirements. mclaren does it. mercedes does it. aston martin does it. they are not na but they are absolutely efficient. maybe you are the one moving the goalpost just because you want it to be na.

Not moving a goalpost... genuinely curious. The comment was around forced induction vs NA as it related to fuel efficiency. Please show me an example of a fuel efficient NA V8. Your comment that "they can do it using turbos" simply proves the point...

Given the upcoming fuel emissions standards, it is highly unlikely that they will release a naturally aspirated engine, and will likely go with a forced induction V6, possibly with a mild hybrid set-up. This is how Toyota is progressing with most of their line-up (lower displacement, usage of turbos, usage of mild hybrid). Only other option would be something like the Highlander NA V6, but doubt it would go in the GX.

Thus, for the sake of this thread, the likely powerplant in the next generation GX will be turbocharged, and possibly using a hybrid set-up.

Basically, ZERO CHANCE it will be a naturally aspirated engine and it would be a mistake for them to use a different engine in the GX vs. their other products if their goal is to ensure ability to swap parts between vehicles via shared platform architecture. Whole point of TNGA...

Last edited by Nori; 02-03-22 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-04-22, 11:23 PM
jdam
Driver

Received 80 Likes on 29 Posts

Thus, for the sake of this thread, the likely powerplant in the next generation GX will be turbocharged, and possibly using a hybrid set-up.

Basically, ZERO CHANCE it will be a naturally aspirated engine and it would be a mistake for them to use a different engine in the GX vs. their other products if their goal is to ensure ability to swap parts between vehicles via shared platform architecture. Whole point of TNGA...
I don't see how they could do anything but a turbo V6 in the GX. The topline LX600 has a turbo 6. The GX will not outdo it - it can't.
Old 06-16-22, 11:17 AM
Vlad6525
Pit Crew

Received 125 Likes on 74 Posts
Default 2023 MY updates?

Does anyone have any information on the MY23 updates? A good friend of mine is on a waiting list for a '22 and his ETA is around end of July-beginning of August, which is right around when they usually start getting the next year model. Since this will most likely be the last year of this style, I'm very curious if they leave everything as is, or will change/add/remove any packages, options, colors etc. for MY23.
Old 06-16-22, 03:31 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 3,671 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Perhaps clearer idea of 2023 model year in next 2 weeks or so in regards to packages..etc

The following 2 users liked this post by Acrad:
2chains (06-20-22), Vlad6525 (06-16-22)
Old 06-16-22, 08:04 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by jdam
Because not everyone has the luxury of owning multiple vehicles that can fit their needs/family needs. Space, money, not actual car people but want a "sporty" vehicle, "sporty" looks, etc. People are buying them so manufacturers make them.
If you can afford a $70 to $80k vehicle, you can either split that between 2 cars or can afford a weekend car.
Old 06-17-22, 10:23 AM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts

I agree with you and great point. Could Lexus shock the market (for a limited time) with a Diesel engine option? Or borrow the Hybrid 4 from Toyota Highlander?

We shall see.

Originally Posted by jdam
I don't see how they could do anything but a turbo V6 in the GX. The topline LX600 has a turbo 6. The GX will not outdo it - it can't.
Old 06-17-22, 10:40 AM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 380 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by FastTurtle
... Could Lexus shock the market (for a limited time) with a Diesel engine option?
Don't expect that to happen, I have read quotes from Toyota a number of times that the cost to meet US emission rules for diesel engine is too expensive and not worth the investment based on the number of units they would sell.
Old 06-17-22, 11:25 AM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts

I agree and no debate there.

Originally Posted by IanG
Don't expect that to happen, I have read quotes from Toyota a number of times that the cost to meet US emission rules for diesel engine is too expensive and not worth the investment based on the number of units they would sell.
Old 06-19-22, 10:20 PM
aredub
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Vlad6525
Does anyone have any information on the MY23 updates? A good friend of mine is on a waiting list for a '22 and his ETA is around end of July-beginning of August, which is right around when they usually start getting the next year model. Since this will most likely be the last year of this style, I'm very curious if they leave everything as is, or will change/add/remove any packages, options, colors etc. for MY23.
MY23 will be the last for this Gen, production begins on 8/1. I don’t recall all the changes off the top of my head, so please take this with a grain of salt. White changes to Eminent, Black Line interior changes from black/gray seating to just gray (Boulder), grille surround gets a little darker. Luxury now includes Levinson.
The following 6 users liked this post by aredub:
2chains (06-20-22), Acrad (06-24-22), Kisel17 (06-20-22), Siblue (06-20-22), tiadesiree (06-20-22), Vlad6525 (06-20-22) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-20-22, 10:19 AM
Siblue
Pit Crew

Received 134 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by aredub
MY23 will be the last for this Gen, production begins on 8/1. I don’t recall all the changes off the top of my head, so please take this with a grain of salt. White changes to Eminent, Black Line interior changes from black/gray seating to just gray (Boulder), grille surround gets a little darker. Luxury now includes Levinson.
It’s too bad they won’t darken the center grill to
black rather than gunmetal color or dark gray.
Thanks for the info can’t wait search part numbers for 23.

Quick Reply: 2023 Discussion