GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2023 Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-23, 10:38 AM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

I bought a ‘22 premium plus and I’m happy with it.
If a luxury with a color combination that I like was available at that time, I would have taken the luxury instead.

Go with luxury and call it a day 🍻
Old 09-27-23, 01:33 PM
Vlad6525
Pit Crew

Received 123 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Elipscombs
Hello everyone,

we are ready to pull the trigger on a 23. For those that have driven or owned both, how much better is the Luxury vs the premium plus? Is the real leather, seat comfort, and over ride and drive quality much better on the Luxury? Please share your thoughts
I'd suggest to go for the luxury trim. AVS definitely helps when you're off-roading or when you get into a curve at highway speeds... I've switched AVS settings a lot in both 2008 GX470 and 2021 GX460 and it's not a gimmick, it does make a difference. Real leather does smell much better than Nuluxe, I can attest to it, but to me the luxury trim was primarily about AVS, since I've driven my AVS-equipped GX470 for close to 11yrs and had gotten used to it... Unless you plan on lifting it, Lux trim is worth it IMHO...also will get you better resale value later on. GX's AVS and rear air suspension is extremely reliable and proven, so no reason to avoid it for any reliability fears.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vlad6525:
E3PO (10-08-23), mbdtex (09-28-23)
Old 09-27-23, 07:50 PM
JZZFZZ
Intermediate

Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by FastTurtle
I bought a ‘22 premium plus and I’m happy with it.
If a luxury with a color combination that I like was available at that time, I would have taken the luxury instead.

Go with luxury and call it a day 🍻
I can say the same. I bought a ‘22 luxury and I’m happy it. I bought it because of its color combination. I like the semi aniline leather but I do not care about the AVS. Although the AVS in my 2005 GX lasted until I sold it in 2021, it is still a concern.
The following users liked this post:
mbdtex (09-28-23)
Old 09-28-23, 07:03 AM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Wombat78
Hello all, I just picked up a new 2023 GX460…

Is there anyone out there who has only 500 miles on their brand new Lexus GX 460 and hates it?

1. Steering wheel was off center and pulled to the right. 3 dealerships and 4 alignments later steering wheel finally centered yet still pulls to the right. Lexus is saying that the only way to keep it from drifting to the right would be to take it out of spec, but knowingly, taking it out of spec, would void the warranty, so they can’t do it. Apparently it’s just known to do this, so I have to deal with it?

2. Mark Levinson stereo, I have no clue if it sounds good, every time I turn it up another speaker rattles and sounds blown, tis very irritating, but they do always seem to fix whatever speaker is impacted. I will be picking the car up from the dealership again tomorrow as they are “tightening” another bracket for speaker issue 5.

3. they are charging me over $100 to put my old tires back on, just so I can turn around and sell the car. I can’t even get them to give me a discount on tire mounting to get rid of it Lol

Am I the only person who has been burned by these GX 460’s?

Ironically, I realize my issues are not lemon law qualifiers, but this is not a Stellantis product for Christ’s sake it’s Lexus 😂

Tires can have whats called "radial pull." I've had brand new tires do this even with an alignment. Rotating tires can resolve this issue occasionally.

Originally Posted by SpudsMcD
You know, it just occurred to me that really aggressive off-road use could also cause the speakers to come loose from their mountings, or to at least rattle as you describe. The GX is not a Raptor; it's not built for that level of abuse.
The interior can definitely handle lots of abuse. I use to take mine on desert roads with washboards and would beat it to ****, never had interior rattles once I was on smooth road. Maybe OP just needs to abuse it some more till everything is smooth and noise free lol

Last edited by Nickk6; 09-28-23 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-28-23, 10:56 AM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 320 Likes on 217 Posts

Test drive them both and see if you can even tell the difference. If you can't get the Plus. If you can tell a diff then see which you prefer, if Plus, get the Plus. If Lux see if you like it more than the price difference, if not get the Plus, else get the Lux.
The following 2 users liked this post by CFAI:
FastTurtle (09-29-23), mbdtex (09-28-23)
Old 09-28-23, 11:59 AM
Lagtime
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Luxury is the only way to get the off-road package, which I wanted. I've ended up really liking the semi-aniline leather, I like AVS, and I'm currently agnostic about the rear air suspension although if I towed I think it would be useful.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lagtime:
FastTurtle (09-29-23), mbdtex (09-28-23)
Old 09-28-23, 07:27 PM
mbdtex
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I test drove a premium and luxury, ended up going with the ‘23 Luxury and love it. I personally noticed a difference with the ride but to each their own. I also got it with the sport package which I wanted.

One way or another you’re going to love it, so an early congrats!

The only other option I wanted was the off-road package mostly for the multi-terrain monitor.

The following 4 users liked this post by mbdtex:
brutus27 (10-08-23), GRAND_LS 4 (10-08-23), Lagtime (09-29-23), SCOFF82 (09-29-23)
Old 10-04-23, 11:50 AM
kkc427
3rd Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Brought my GX460 Premium Plus back in August from Jim Falk Lexus with $7600 off sticker.
Old 10-04-23, 06:26 PM
TEQLC
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Wombat78
Hello all, I just picked up a new 2023 GX460…

Is there anyone out there who has only 500 miles on their brand new Lexus GX 460 and hates it?

1. Steering wheel was off center and pulled to the right. 3 dealerships and 4 alignments later steering wheel finally centered yet still pulls to the right. Lexus is saying that the only way to keep it from drifting to the right would be to take it out of spec, but knowingly, taking it out of spec, would void the warranty, so they can’t do it. Apparently it’s just known to do this, so I have to deal with it?

2. Mark Levinson stereo, I have no clue if it sounds good, every time I turn it up another speaker rattles and sounds blown, tis very irritating, but they do always seem to fix whatever speaker is impacted. I will be picking the car up from the dealership again tomorrow as they are “tightening” another bracket for speaker issue 5.

3. they are charging me over $100 to put my old tires back on, just so I can turn around and sell the car. I can’t even get them to give me a discount on tire mounting to get rid of it Lol

Am I the only person who has been burned by these GX 460’s?

Ironically, I realize my issues are not lemon law qualifiers, but this is not a Stellantis product for Christ’s sake it’s Lexus 😂
Just seen this post. Purchased a brand new 2023 GX 460 a little over a month ago. Steering wheel is off center. (to the left). Searched forums and I forget who it was, but he said,"it's a known issue", and "do not go down that rabbit hole"! (trying to fix it). lol! So I didn't. Now, I just drive it and don't even notice it.
Yes, Mark Levinson stereo does (did) the exact same thing! Passenger side rear. Noticed that my 3rd row seat belt was attached to that clip thingy and when I turned up the stereo, it was the seat belt metal that was "bumping, thumping, rattling", off the plastic of rear. Unhooked seat belt and let it hang, problem fixed.
Listen, I get it, I was a little weirded out too. But I've owned plenty of brand new vehicles that seem to always have at least one issue. This GX is still awesome, even with some of the little flaws I've noticed. I wish you the best in whatever you do with yours. .

Last edited by TEQLC; 10-04-23 at 06:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
pacnwatx (10-05-23)
Old 10-04-23, 08:42 PM
mike202
Pit Crew

Received 102 Likes on 71 Posts

This is unacceptable, post the alignment numbers if you have them. The alignment specs are so wide, this does not seem credible. Most likely, the alignment tech does not know what he is doing.
Old 10-04-23, 08:59 PM
Wombat78
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike202
This is unacceptable, post the alignment numbers if you have them. The alignment specs are so wide, this does not seem credible. Most likely, the alignment tech does not know what he is doing.
I do not have them, I’m sure the dealerships do though.

Turns out the steering wheel went right back to off center ( worse than before). And a newly developed shimmy post the last alignment Lol the dealership I bought it from first refused to buy it back then conceded but at a 15k loss.

I went to another dealership and and ironically as I put the car in park the gear shifter **** fell off. So I said well I was here to see if you wanted to buy it…I spilled my whole story to the poor unsuspecting GM and service manager. The service manager took the car for a bit and came back with a list of **** he ordered to try to correct the alignment, steering wheel, and radio. Then he said he used tape and super glue to hold the shifter **** on until the new shifter parts come in as well…needless to say I did not ask them to buy it after all that.

Apparently one of the coils they ordered is on a 2 to 3 month back order, so I won’t be able to trade the car in for quite some time now.
Old 10-05-23, 04:23 AM
tntcandy
Intermediate

Received 230 Likes on 139 Posts

Our 21 had pull to right, complained and had a tech drive it with me so they could not say, (could not replicate issue) alignment done and its almost 100% centered, I decided not to pursue it more, and during my next service (doing it my self) I rotated tires and it was 100% aligned, so for me it seemed to be the Dunlop Grandtrek and alignment that was the issues. during next tire rotation the steering wheel went off a little again, but not enough to bother me.
Old 10-05-23, 05:29 AM
BillK01
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Timeline from Monroney Sticker generation?

Our 23 GX460 Luxury finally had it's Monroney sticker generated yesterday since landing in Newark back on 9/27.

Just curious if anyone knows the typical timeline from sticker generation to delivery.

Is the sticker generated as soon as the vehicle is moved into Toyota Logistics for "accessories" - or after all that is done? Or is the vehicle potentially sitting in their lot still waiting it's turn to have the accessories installed (such as the tow hitch, roof rack crossbars etc)?

Generally - once sticker is generated and accessories added - how long until it's shipped to the dealer? I know it's probably variable - but could it be within a week - or further out from that?

Thanks.
Old 10-05-23, 06:04 AM
Lagtime
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Mine had a mild pull to the right with the wheel offset from center at roughly 830 - 230. Had the dealer align it under warranty and it’s been fine for the past 500-ish miles. I am too OCD to look at a crooked steering wheel.

Last edited by Lagtime; 10-05-23 at 06:18 AM.
Old 10-05-23, 10:27 AM
mike202
Pit Crew

Received 102 Likes on 71 Posts

Had the dealer align it under warranty and it’s been fine for the past 500-ish miles.
Based on the current numbers, it should have a mild pull to the right.

The L/R caster is the same, but the R camber is 0.1° greater than the L side. Vehicle will lead to the higher camber side.

Quick Reply: 2023 Discussion