GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2023 Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-22, 11:45 AM
skrypj
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by FastTurtle
I agree with you and great point. Could Lexus shock the market (for a limited time) with a Diesel engine option? Or borrow the Hybrid 4 from Toyota Highlander?

We shall see.
I hope they don't go hybrid. The interior already is not large with the solid axle and the 3rd row. If the 3rd Gen Sequoia is any indication, they will have to put the battery inside in the footwell of the 3rd row and make the cramped seating more cramped.

They also did not go hybrid on the LX600 even though the Sequoia did.

I am guessing it will maybe be a detuned 3.5L V6 like the Sequoia/Tundra/LX600 or maybe a larger 4 cylinder turbo(maybe 2.5-2.7L). Ford and GM's 2.7L turbo engines are very strong(400 and 420 ft-lbs) and would outperform the current 4.6L without issue. And those engine in a full size pickup are getting better MPG's than a current GX. Fuelly puts the GX at 16-17mpg whereas the 2.7L F150's are consistently in the mid 18's. The F150 is a lot more vehicle to push through the air and weighs about the same and yet beats the GX by nearly 10%.

Toyota already has a detuned version of the 3.5L TT in the Tundra. The SR trim comes with a 348hp/405tq version. I feel like that would be more realistic numbers for the GX and would be more than enough for towing 6500lbs.
Old 06-20-22, 04:48 PM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Copy that. What about a 2-door version aimed at Defender? Yay or nay.

The following users liked this post:
Piney1 (06-23-22)
Old 06-23-22, 11:10 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

lol...no
Old 06-23-22, 03:05 PM
Piney1
Intermediate

Received 287 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by FastTurtle
Copy that. What about a 2-door version aimed at Defender? Yay or nay.

Was parked next to a hard topped 2 door Bronco (new one) yesterday and it was sweet but they are not very luxurious. This in a GX with some sort of factory off-road setup would be a cool thing to have.
FastTurtle (06-23-22)
Old 06-24-22, 02:07 AM
SDRider
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
No question ... Toyota / Lexus does it better than the majority of auto makers ... and given the Prado lineage and WW ​​​​​volumes ... this platform is about as dialed in as they come. Honda ... just look at how they handled the fuel dilution issue ... criminal ... not the same Honda that had a stellar reputation for reliability.
I was looking at the Ford Bronco but they are having all sorts of problems with them including engine failures. I just bought a 2022 GX this week. As good as the Bronco is off-road, and it excels at that, it is mediocre on the road with a fair amount of wind and road noise and lots of hard plastic everywhere in the interior. The GX is far better on the road.

I don’t know why anyone would cross shop an MDX with a GX. The Acura is just plain ugly and not in the same league.
The following 2 users liked this post by SDRider:
aschobel (07-03-22), Seanzky (06-25-22)
Old 06-24-22, 02:15 AM
SDRider
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SlickTRD
v8s absolutely can meet the requirements. mclaren does it. mercedes does it. aston martin does it. they are not na but they are absolutely efficient. maybe you are the one moving the goalpost just because you want it to be na.
Mercedes doesn’t have a single NA V8 engine in their entire lineup and hasn’t for about a decade. And the 4.0l bi-turbo they put in their AMG models isn’t very efficient. I had a C63 cabriolet that averaged around 14mpg very consistently. It was ridiculously fast but it wasn’t very fuel efficient.

The next GX will have a smaller turbo motor I am sure.

Last edited by SDRider; 06-24-22 at 02:18 AM.
Old 06-25-22, 08:49 AM
skrypj
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SDRider;[url=tel:11314566
11314566]I was looking at the Ford Bronco but they are having all sorts of problems with them including engine failures. I just bought a 2022 GX this week. As good as the Bronco is off-road, and it excels at that, it is mediocre on the road with a fair amount of wind and road noise and lots of hard plastic everywhere in the interior. The GX is far better on the road.

I don’t know why anyone would cross shop an MDX with a GX. The Acura is just plain ugly and not in the same league.
The bronco engine failures are weird. That 2.7L has been in the F150 for 7-8 years and has earned a great reputation. It really is a stellar motor all around. It is very efficient and make really good power in the F150 and has had very few issues.

I think the Bronco failures are related to a tolerance issue in the main bearings or something. But its strange that the issue doesn’t cross over into the F150.
Kisel17 (08-16-22)
Old 06-27-22, 03:14 PM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 320 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by skrypj
The bronco engine failures are weird. That 2.7L has been in the F150 for 7-8 years and has earned a great reputation. It really is a stellar motor all around. It is very efficient and make really good power in the F150 and has had very few issues.

I think the Bronco failures are related to a tolerance issue in the main bearings or something. But its strange that the issue doesn’t cross over into the F150.
According to TFL (or rather I head this from them) that issue was due to an issue from a particular batch - not something systemic. Which is consistent with your point that the engine has been in use for years.
Old 06-28-22, 07:28 AM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Not luxurious at all for the price.

Release a 2 door version with off-road trim levels while still figuring out the next move would be nice.

Something that can go against the Bronco Everglades and Defender 90.

Originally Posted by Piney1
Was parked next to a hard topped 2 door Bronco (new one) yesterday and it was sweet but they are not very luxurious. This in a GX with some sort of factory off-road setup would be a cool thing to have.
Piney1 (07-01-22)
Old 06-28-22, 03:50 PM
skrypj
Intermediate

I am not sure the defender 90 is a serious contender. You can't get anything less than 19" wheels I don't believe, and the couple videos I saw of it offroading involved changing tires on the trail due to blown out sidewalls from rocks.
Old 06-28-22, 08:17 PM
IOP
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure the defender 90 is a serious contender. You can't get anything less than 19" wheels I don't believe, and the couple videos I saw of it offroading involved changing tires on the trail due to blown out sidewalls from rocks.
With the base 4 cylinder engine 18" wheels are a no charge option, you can even choose steel. I agree, that doesn't make the Defender a contender against the Bronco or Wrangler, but I think the Defender is a direct competitor to the GX. The Defender wasn't out when we bought our GX, but the LR4 was my wife's second choice. The GX won out on reliability, she doesn't trust JLR. She hates the new Discovery, but the Defender looks like viable replacement for the LR4.

The 2 door Prado is very interesting to me but I like the idea of 2 door SUVs (never owned one). Still not a Jeep or Bronco competitor for me, but that is mostly due to the removable top.

My wife thinks the GX in its current form is perfect, and plans to buy a CPO in 2025 when the warranty on hers expires.
Old 06-28-22, 09:22 PM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Contender when it comes to the streets haha we all know that most defender, rubicon and bronco owners will never see serious off-roading. A little dirt here and there for instagram.

Old 06-29-22, 04:58 AM
jlficken
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by FastTurtle;[url=tel:11317071
11317071[/url]]Contender when it comes to the streets haha we all know that most defender, rubicon and bronco owners will never see serious off-roading. A little dirt here and there for instagram.
To be fair that’s all my GX will see for a long, long time as I don’t want to beat up a brand new $60K vehicle.

I live in town so snow and ice are a given but I don’t really have a reason to go off-road beyond trips to the city dump. That’s not to say I won’t take it if I need to, however, I’m not actively looking to do so either.
Old 06-29-22, 05:58 AM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Same here. No plans on beating up my 22 GX. I’m happy to stay in the pavement.

Originally Posted by jlficken
To be fair that’s all my GX will see for a long, long time as I don’t want to beat up a brand new $60K vehicle.

I live in town so snow and ice are a given but I don’t really have a reason to go off-road beyond trips to the city dump. That’s not to say I won’t take it if I need to, however, I’m not actively looking to do so either.
Old 06-29-22, 08:02 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Just because you caaaan go offroad, dont mean you shooould.

Quick Reply: 2023 Discussion