GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Key Fob Remote Start Without Subscription

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-22, 04:28 PM
PNWRacer
Driver

Received 59 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by phile
I don’t know how it all works. All I know is that the key fob by itself will not remote start the car without either the paid subscription or an after market kit. However you want to read into that is up to you. But Lexus is not the only one guilty of that practice.
So for those of us with the 3G cell radios, will the fob continue to work when that goes dark later this year, or will it work in perpetuity regardless of subscription, because they won't be able to disable it on the vehicle without an active cellular data connection?
Old 01-24-22, 05:59 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

I haven't seen any statements that FOB based remote start will continue to work

https://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/answ...ehicles?%C2%A0

Old 01-25-22, 04:46 AM
tk8lm6
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Fob Start

So let me add a little more detail FWIW
I had a paid subscription and I got an email before it was set to expire saying that my subscription would end and (if I remember correctly) that my subscription would roll to a monthly billing cycle @ like $16 bucks per month instead of annually. I presumed that this is because the service is supposed to sunset this year. I think I presumed that they had my credit card on file and if they did I was thinking after spring arrives, I gotta remember to cancel that because I don't need r to pay for emote start when the weather is nice. And if they didn't have my card on file and the service stopped at subscriptions end, no biggie

It's a bit of a hassle because I think you have to be in your car and push the SOS button and talk to a human in order to get your credit card removed I think.

So then on the date my subscription was supposed to have expired, I opened the Lexus app and sure enough the app said that my subscription had expired. So I thought "oh wow, ok ... The app/Enform sucks ibut it sure is efficient in terms of making sure they get their money!". So "that was that "I thought but ..

I still have the ability to use the fob to start the car over a week later AND I still have a green light next to the SOS button.

This leads me to believe, as A rad may have suggested, that maybe the system didn't yet ping my car and turn off those services. The Lexus app knew about the expiration but the telematics haven't been "enformed" yet that the subscription is dead. Get it ...? ... See what I did there? "Enformed ...?"

So I'll just keep an eye out for that green light switching to red by the SOS button and see if the fob start still ceases to function.

I also haven't checked to see if my credit card was charged 16 bucks. So maybe I am still subscribed but the app doesn't know that.
Old 01-25-22, 04:53 AM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

FWIW, I purchased my 2021 GX at the end of March 2021. Checking the Lexus App shows the remote and destination assist functions expire 1 year to the date. Safety connect is the only service shown to be supported 10 years from the date of purchase via the App. In addition, per the letter that accompanied our purchase it states Safety Connect and Service Connect (maintenance schedules/etc) are supported for 10 years. I suspect the remote start will cease to function entirely in the next 2 months here and can certainly report back if that's the case.

Old 01-25-22, 10:44 AM
GXLUX
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Do 2021 use the same 3G as the older models?
I don't think you'll have any problems.
Old 01-26-22, 05:25 AM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by GXLUX
Do 2021 use the same 3G as the older models?
I don't think you'll have any problems.
To the best of my knowledge, the 2019+ use 4G. 3G Wireless Services Update
I'll circle back and let you know about the remote start in a couple of months.
Old 01-26-22, 05:33 AM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

I think Lexus's ears were ringing since I received this in the mail yesterday. That said, I rarely use the remote start since we have a garage so I'm not likely going to spend the $100 a year to keep that option. I also never had a need to use the destination assist option and find Google Maps/Cell phone to be more than adequate for my needs. I have to wonder if it wouldn't make more sense to lower the cost of the vehicle by eliminating these options then continue to compete against the likes of Google and other mapping services. I guess YMMV?

Last edited by L3xusGX; 01-26-22 at 05:36 AM.
Old 01-26-22, 05:43 AM
GX4602011
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by L3xusGX
To the best of my knowledge, the 2019+ use 4G. 3G Wireless Services Update
I'll circle back and let you know about the remote start in a couple of months.
Also try with the key-fob. If it no longer works (as expected) then perhaps it was remotely deactivated (by a signal from Lexus via satellite/cell).
Old 01-26-22, 06:11 AM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by GX4602011
Also try with the key-fob. If it no longer works (as expected) then perhaps it was remotely deactivated (by a signal from Lexus via satellite/cell).
Right, I'll specifically test that option using the remote since I know the app remote start will be discontinued without renewal. I got the notice(app remote start) in the mail in my post above so...

Last edited by L3xusGX; 01-26-22 at 06:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GX4602011 (01-26-22)
Old 02-15-22, 04:51 PM
tk8lm6
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Epilog ... It looks like now my key fob remote start no longer works. Maybe it took a while for them to send some sort of disablement after my subscription expired. So yeah ... no workee
The following users liked this post:
GX4602011 (02-16-22)
Old 02-18-22, 10:40 PM
Heaveyfoot
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2021 and had the subscription lapse for a bit. I believe that the subscription is for remote starting thru the app and doesn't affect the key fob remote start. If you haven't used the remote to remote start your car in a while you might be trying it wrong. It's 3 presses of the lock button but the third press has to be instantly after the second press and hold and not just by pressing it 3 times and holding
Old 02-19-22, 07:35 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrive...remote#/keyfob

Old 02-19-22, 09:50 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Compustar remote start

I got the best buy deal. It enabled oem fob remote start. I can also use the compustar fob. I upgraded the compustar fob to 3 mile and works great.

https://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/fp/694417

Old 04-07-22, 03:36 PM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

I received the letter today in the mail stating my Lexus Enform Remote and Destination Assist expired on 3/29/22. Checking the app confirms this but I'm still able to use my remote key fob to start the vehicle. I'm hoping it remains but wanted to circle back and update the thread either way.
Old 09-22-22, 11:26 AM
Mike65
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the remote start info. I bought a 2017 IS 300 and the triple press you described worked for me.

Quick Reply: Key Fob Remote Start Without Subscription