GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2022 GX Side Mirror Reverse Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-22 | 07:51 PM
DSMinATL
Driver

Question 2022 GX Side Mirror Reverse Malfunction

Hello,

When we purchased our 2022 Black Line and went to leave the dealership, the drivers side mirror auto adjusted when shifting in reverse since the switch was in the L position. But what confused me was it adjusted up instead of down and even clicked because it went too far. I figured it might be a fluke and decided to test it later. So this weekend I did just that and it’s still angling up not only with the left mirror but also the right.

The manual says:
Linked mirror function when reversing
When the mirror select switch is in the L or R position, the outside rear view mirrors will automatically angle downwards when the vehicle is reversing in order to give a better view of the ground.

Here is a video of me shifting into reverse and what the mirror is doing.

Has anyone seen this before? Any ideas on how to fix it? I don’t understand how this even happens, especially with BOTH mirrors.
Old 01-31-22 | 08:33 PM
DSMinATL
Driver

Originally Posted by Hehena
This video shows what the mirrors should be doing. They should tilt down in reverse not upwards like mine.
Old 02-01-22 | 04:54 AM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Haha. This happened to me, too, when I first drove mine. Scared the crap out of me.

If you're going to use the mirror tilting down in reverse, set them both to the way you want when in reverse. Put it in 'D' and they should return to how you had it. Put it in 'R' again to make sure they tilt down to the way you want them for when in reverse. Then save it along with your seating position.
The following 4 users liked this post by Seanzky:
catdaddylo (02-01-22), dchan865 (08-04-23), DSMinATL (02-05-22), StarfireG (10-20-22)
Old 02-01-22 | 10:58 AM
jlficken
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Seanzky
Haha. This happened to me, too, when I first drove mine. Scared the crap out of me.

If you're going to use the mirror tilting down in reverse, set them both to the way you want when in reverse. Put it in 'D' and they should return to how you had it. Put it in 'R' again to make sure they tilt down to the way you want them for when in reverse. Then save it along with your seating position.

Yeah it looks like they failed to calibrate them at the factory...oops.
Old 02-01-22 | 08:19 PM
DSMinATL
Driver

Oh so you’re saying I can put it in reverse, adjust each mirror while they are selected, and that will save it in that position? If so, that’s awesome and saves me a trip to the dealer. I’ll give it a try this weekend when I’m back home. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
Seanzky (02-02-22)
Old 02-01-22 | 08:28 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DSMinATL
Oh so you’re saying I can put it in reverse, adjust each mirror while they are selected, and that will save it in that position? If so, that’s awesome and saves me a trip to the dealer. I’ll give it a try this weekend when I’m back home. Thanks!
You can watch the 2022 GX 460 Tutorial on UTube and the lady giving the tutorial does exactly this when talking about adjusting the mirrors for reverse. Before I got my GX I did thus on my RX and it worked like charm.
Old 02-02-22 | 06:02 AM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DSMinATL
Yes! I can't imagine how many complaints they've gotten for what owners probably thought was a broken sideview mirror and they still haven't calibrated it from factory! Haha. I was just so glad and relieved that it was just a thing that needed adjusting.

While in reverse (R), just hold the brakes, push on either of the L or R of the mirror adjustment rocker switch, adjust mirror, then do the same for the opposite mirror. Once both mirrors are tilted down and to your liking, leave the rocker switch on either L or R, go to drive (D) and make sure the mirrors return to how you like them while you're driving, then go back into reverse (R) one last time to see if the mirrors change to how you like them while you're reversing.
The following 3 users liked this post by Seanzky:
dchan865 (08-04-23), DSMinATL (02-02-22), StarfireG (10-20-22)
Old 02-02-22 | 07:52 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Clarification on the Reversing Mirror positioning. This thread correctly describes how you
adjust the mirror angles while in reverse. Please note that the this reversing position is Not
saved into the 1/2/3 memory system, all drivers will get this positions when reversing if the
mirror selector is set to R or L. Centering the mirror selector disables the reversing position.
The following users liked this post:
DSMinATL (02-02-22)
Old 02-05-22 | 12:13 PM
DSMinATL
Driver

Yes! I can't imagine how many complaints they've gotten for what owners probably thought was a broken sideview mirror and they still haven't calibrated it from factory! Haha. I was just so glad and relieved that it was just a thing that needed adjusting.

While in reverse (R), just hold the brakes, push on either of the L or R of the mirror adjustment rocker switch, adjust mirror, then do the same for the opposite mirror. Once both mirrors are tilted down and to your liking, leave the rocker switch on either L or R, go to drive (D) and make sure the mirrors return to how you like them while you're driving, then go back into reverse (R) one last time to see if the mirrors change to how you like them while you're reversing.
So we just tried exactly what you said and it worked perfect. No more mirrors moving towards the sky and popping because they are going too far. I feel kind of stupid but I'm glad it was such an easy fix. This is why I love these forums. Thanks again and have a great weekend!
The following 3 users liked this post by DSMinATL:
Acrad (02-05-22), dchan865 (08-04-23), Seanzky (02-05-22)