GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Driving on Ice

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-22, 06:46 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Driving on Ice

Big ice storm is going to sweep the country from Texas to New England tomorrow. I have had a 4 wheel drive vehicle since 1980. Prediction in my neck of the woods is calling for 1/2 to 1 inch of ice. Guess where my new 2022 GX will be? In my garage. 4 WD for mud, snow, sand, rocks, but not ice. Anybody planning to venture out in the storm path that doesn't have to?
Old 02-02-22, 06:58 PM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Received 207 Likes on 115 Posts

Driving home just now, I was surprised by how terrible the OEM Duelers H/Ts are. I actually felt my GX step out. It's not even that icy yet. It's still mostly wet over here. That just goes to show how important tires are. You can have the most capable 4WD drivetrain, but with crap tires it will still drive like crap. Haha. As they say, it's the rubber that makes contact with the road.
The following users liked this post:
IanB2 (02-03-22)
Old 02-02-22, 07:26 PM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 380 Likes on 212 Posts

Our winter starts in November and lasts usually until May, we also get lots of ice on the roads throughout the winter.
As mentioned tires for the condition are the most important, here are what I use in the winter, Nokian Hakkapeliitta 10 SUV studded winter tire

The following 7 users liked this post by IanG:
catdaddylo (02-03-22), frankymenz (02-03-22), IanB2 (02-03-22), MarkVII (02-05-22), MrTorgue (02-02-22), Novo (02-03-22), sirtiger (02-03-22) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-02-22, 07:52 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 349 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by IanG
Our winter starts in November and lasts usually until May, we also get lots of ice on the roads throughout the winter.
As mentioned tires for the condition are the most important, here are what I use in the winter, Nokian Hakkapeliitta 10 SUV studded winter tire

^ Epic tire and brand. My brother in Alaska swears by those tires.
Old 02-03-22, 05:39 AM
tntcandy
Intermediate

Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by IanG

Agree, tires is the only thing that supports your friction with the road surface to give control over your car. That been said, when I pick up rental cars in Finland during winters they always have Nokian studded tires, they are amazon on compacted snow.

I would not drive in icy conditions unless an emergency, not worth it, even you are driving according to condition ans have proper tires, you have no idea of all other drivers
I have always been wondering why many here in US use allseason tires, they are a compromise and neither great in winter nor summer. I'm used to swap between summer and winter tires (when living in Scandinavia) and total cost does not increase as you wear on each tire, just need to keep an eye on tire age as they get harder with age and loose the ability to grip the road/surfaces. Now in S FL I use summer tires on all my cars, and I'mm looking out for tires that can drain water as we get heavy rain here, and you can see cars slide into the ditches as they are running "slicks" worn down tires and are nor a danger to the rest of the drivers on the road. It sometime truly feel like a 3rd world country here
Old 02-03-22, 10:32 AM
brutus27
Driver

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by catdaddylo
Big ice storm is going to sweep the country from Texas to New England tomorrow. I have had a 4 wheel drive vehicle since 1980. Prediction in my neck of the woods is calling for 1/2 to 1 inch of ice. Guess where my new 2022 GX will be? In my garage. 4 WD for mud, snow, sand, rocks, but not ice. Anybody planning to venture out in the storm path that doesn't have to?
It’s been sleeting last night and this morning here in Central Texas. Streets are iced up but not completely sheeted over. Took the GX out in the neighborhood and put it in 4L. It was very surefooted. Very confidence inspiring. Never got it over 35 ish. Did some donuts and some power slides. Took it up and down some steep grades (hill country). The Dunlop AT 3’s are adequate. Anyway, yeah, very wary of other drivers as the Lexus can hold it’s own. Be safe out there…
Old 02-03-22, 11:06 AM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by brutus27
It’s been sleeting last night and this morning here in Central Texas. Streets are iced up but not completely sheeted over. Took the GX out in the neighborhood and put it in 4L. It was very surefooted. Very confidence inspiring. Never got it over 35 ish. Did some donuts and some power slides. Took it up and down some steep grades (hill country). The Dunlop AT 3’s are adequate. Anyway, yeah, very wary of other drivers as the Lexus can hold it’s own. Be safe out there
That's what I'm talking about, other drivers. Looks like I will be house bound until Saturday. We are expecting about an inch of snow on top of a quarter inch of ice that fell last night.
brutus27 (02-03-22)
Old 02-03-22, 11:10 AM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Here's how I track the weather pattern. Just click on "Rain, thunder".

https://www.windy.com/
The following 2 users liked this post by Seanzky:
brutus27 (02-03-22), catdaddylo (02-03-22)
Old 02-03-22, 01:42 PM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 74 Posts

Having moved here from Colorado recently... I've come to realize Texans can't drive on simple dry roads without tail-gating, never yielding, etc.. I can't even imagine them driving in inclement weather lol...
The following 2 users liked this post by m5rahul:
DallasDave (02-04-22), ukcats (02-04-22)
Old 02-03-22, 01:48 PM
brutus27
Driver

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by m5rahul
Having moved here from Colorado recently... I've come to realize Texans can't drive on simple dry roads without tail-gating, never yielding, etc.. I can't even imagine them driving in inclement weather lol...
True most native Texan can't drive on ice!
But, most of the ****ty drivers are from Cali and parts unknown. Maybe move back to Colorado…
The following 3 users liked this post by brutus27:
catdaddylo (02-03-22), mwike (02-03-22), Seanzky (02-03-22)
Old 02-03-22, 01:51 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 705 Posts

Have a set of studded Nokian Hakkap's on steel wheels for the winter ... best winter tire available hands down these grip on black ice ... anything ... beyond amazing performance. Yes, the biggest danger is being on the road with "SUV" morons who think they are invincible because they have AWD or 4WD ... having no clue that tires are THE most important consideration ... with most "SUV's" running garbage OEM tires that perform well in no season.

Last edited by ASE; 02-03-22 at 01:55 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by ASE:
brutus27 (02-03-22), catdaddylo (02-03-22), SamLexRXGX (02-04-22), Seanzky (02-03-22)
Old 02-03-22, 04:22 PM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by brutus27
.. Maybe move back to Colorado…
I would, in a flash.. if that were possible right now.. one day, perhaps!
The following 2 users liked this post by m5rahul:
brutus27 (02-03-22), Seanzky (02-03-22)
Old 02-04-22, 11:02 AM
ukcats
Driver

Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts

I drove 80 miles round trip last night on DFW’s icy roads. Lexus performed great, even on stock tires. But, I know how to drive, and find it comical the hubbub about a little winter weather.
WRD4chano (02-04-22)
Old 02-07-22, 08:48 AM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ukcats
I drove 80 miles round trip last night on DFW’s icy roads. Lexus performed great, even on stock tires. But, I know how to drive, and find it comical the hubbub about a little winter weather.
Having grown up in NYC, I also find it funny when TX panics over a little snow. Haha. I do understand, though, that we don't have the infrastructure here for these kinds of weather, because it's not worth the investment for something that occurs so rarely.

As for the OEM Dueler H/Ts, my experience with them on ice has not been so good. There are backroads where I live that didn't have salt, sand, gravel, etc. Granted that any tires not meant for winter/snow/ice will never handle well on ice (1" thick the day after the sleet), I found myself having to counter-steer even before the sleet accumulated and froze over. This was on the night the cold weather started. My friend, who also has a GX on OEM Duelers, decided to drive around that evening to do Uber Eats. He had the same exact experience as me. Every corner he had to turn on made him slide outwards, towards the curb. Haha. Again, this was when it was just sleeting... no ice yet. My wife who drives almost 30 miles to and from Dallas had no issues on her FWD minivan with Hankook Dynapros (I forgot which ones but they were also OEM for her Kia Sedona SX). The next day, when everything had frozen over (every blade of grass I saw were like crystals in the sunlight), I drove to the post office in Prosper. It was basically a solo rally for me. While it was fun and not really worrying at any point, I quickly found the limits of these Duelers. If I aired down, it would have been a different story. Also, my wife's car has low tire pressure from the temperature change which I told her to just leave alone. My GX, on the other hand, is garage-parked and is inflated to spec.

My guess is the highways and bigger roads (main streets) were just better off, probably because it had more cars driving over them than the smaller roads I use. PGA and Virginia, for example, was awful. There's no way the GX couldn't handle that sleet with better tires or at least slightly deflated tires.
Old 02-07-22, 09:10 AM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Seanzky
Having grown up in NYC, I also find it funny when TX panics over a little snow. Haha. I do understand, though, that we don't have the infrastructure here for these kinds of weather, because it's not worth the investment for something that occurs so rarely.

Many years ago I spent a month in Terrytown, NY and there was a huge snow storm. Being from the South I always heard from folks up North how we did not know how to drive on snow and ice.I can tell you that I saw panic and vehicles out of control on the streets of NY because the snow plows had not had time to clear the streets. It took a couple of days to clear the streets but it became clear to me that without the snow plows, the drivers I saw were as bad as any in the South. I do think that tires make all the difference when it comes to traction on snow and ice to a certain degree. My street has finally cleared from the ice but my steep drive way still has ice at the top. I am going to get my GX out of the garage and see how it will handle it. I guess if it's too slippery I will use the locking diff.
Seanzky (02-07-22)

Quick Reply: Driving on Ice