GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX 460 Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-22, 12:31 PM
KingKhung
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default GX 460 Exhaust

Picked up a 2022 GX 460 Luxury recently and am thinking to change the exhaust.

Anyone have experience with MagnaFlow? https://www.magnaflow.com/products/19544-performance-exhaust-magnaflow-overland-series-cat-back-performance-exhaust-system

The road noise and interior sound of the 22 Lux is super quite. Wondering how loud this in in cabin.

Any small performance gains too?
Old 02-20-22, 06:53 AM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 349 Likes on 231 Posts

Honestly don’t bother. These vehicles are nothing but a huge chamber that enhances noise vibration. You’re going to get drone no matter what you do to it and no matter what others have said or will say. I kept the factory resonator on and just changed the muffler to the largest magnaflow I could find just for a little noise and it still has drone and yes it is annoying. So much so I’m putting the original factory muffler back on.

Also you won’t get any performance gains out of a cat back exhaust change. If you don’t care about noise concentrate on researching and changing the exhaust headers. That’s where you’ll see some performance gains. These aren’t sports cars so don’t expect much more than what came from the factory unless you drop $10k+ on a supercharger.
The following users liked this post:
RickC5 (03-02-22)
Old 02-20-22, 02:59 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 881 Likes on 611 Posts

I did think my magnaflow exhaust sounded excellent in the beginning and now, yes I hear droning. I will say my hearing has changed over the years as well.
MrTorgue (02-20-22)
Old 02-20-22, 05:08 PM
BigSvensk
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

DIsagree, my Magnaflow Overlander system doesn't drone. I hear a nice mellow V8 throb on acceleration but very little at cruise. And the high clearance tailpipe is great if you are going off road. It's perfect for me since I like to actually hear my engine doing its thing.

Magnaflow makes a big deal of their "anti-drone technology" for this system, whatever that means, but it seems to work. And it appears that neither of the above posters have the Overlander system.

Last edited by BigSvensk; 02-20-22 at 05:12 PM.
marcosarg (02-28-22)
Old 02-21-22, 07:51 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 705 Posts

Yes ... drone is a major consideration ... will drive one insane if cruising at highway speeds in a range where this noise amplitude occurs ... with some being so bad, it's like being in a torture chamber. Borla invests significant engineering effort in eliminating drone for each specific application. They apparently design and manufacture TRD cat-back exhausts for Toyota. I have one on my FJ Cruiser ... and no different than the multitude of Borla cat-back systems I have installed ... the sound is impeccable ... commanding but not obnoxious ... best described as sophisticated noise ... with absolutely no drone at any speed. Unfortunately, Borla does not make a cat-back for the GX460.

Maybe Magnaflow has advanced ... but my past direct experience is that their systems sound like they belong on a 1970's El Camino ... great for an American V8 ... but IMHO not quite fitting for a Toyota / Lexus.

Last edited by ASE; 02-21-22 at 07:58 AM.
MrTorgue (02-21-22)
Old 02-21-22, 06:11 PM
SigEpGX460
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

I had the Magnaflow Overlander system installed as well. At first it was beautiful.....nice rumble and life was good. Then I helped someone move from Baltimore to Philly and on the ride up on I-95 everything was fine but on the way back with an empty cargo area the drone was unbearable. I had the system removed a few weeks later and it is now sitting in the corner of my garage.

So in my opinion if you tend to drive with the cargo area full of gear or locally (sub 60s) you will probably love the system but if you do a lot of highway/beltway driving and are sensitive to drone think twice.
The following 2 users liked this post by SigEpGX460:
bowhun2r (02-22-22), MrTorgue (02-21-22)
Old 02-21-22, 09:41 PM
BigSvensk
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SigEpGX460
I had the Magnaflow Overlander system installed as well. At first it was beautiful.....nice rumble and life was good. Then I helped someone move from Baltimore to Philly and on the ride up on I-95 everything was fine but on the way back with an empty cargo area the drone was unbearable. I had the system removed a few weeks later and it is now sitting in the corner of my garage.

So in my opinion if you tend to drive with the cargo area full of gear or locally (sub 60s) you will probably love the system but if you do a lot of highway/beltway driving and are sensitive to drone think twice.
When I first installed the Overlander system last year it had a resonance peak in the 1800-2000 rpm range that was a little annoying. But, I also was getting some knocking of the tailpipe on the underside near the axle, most noticeable off-road. So I undid the clamps and adjusted the angles of the section over the axle and the tailpipe and cured the knocking. The interesting thing is, it ALSO cured the resonance peak almost entirely. Been happy ever since, about nine months now. And I even have deleted the third row of seats in my GX.

Old 02-22-22, 08:08 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 705 Posts

To other posters comments ... many cat-back systems are designed for fitment and for exhaust tone ... with absolutely no engineering effort or evaluation into measuring and addressing how the generated exhaust sound frequencies will resonate with the surrounding chassis and body components. That requires a significant (additional) effort to eliminate any drone that is coming from these secondary vibrations ... hence the higher price tag.
Old 02-28-22, 06:20 PM
marcosarg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KingKhung
Picked up a 2022 GX 460 Luxury recently and am thinking to change the exhaust.

Anyone have experience with MagnaFlow? https://www.magnaflow.com/products/1...exhaust-system

The road noise and interior sound of the 22 Lux is super quite. Wondering how loud this in in cabin.

Any small performance gains too?
You'll hear it for sure, mine has the magnaflow Overlander and i can tell you is there, but i love the growl. Once you start cruising it gets quiet.

Last edited by marcosarg; 02-28-22 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-28-22, 06:22 PM
marcosarg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine neither.
Old 03-01-22, 10:29 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSvensk
When I first installed the Overlander system last year it had a resonance peak in the 1800-2000 rpm range that was a little annoying. .
Interestingly, I have this issue with the stock exhaust at the exact same rpms on my 2022. I even feel it through the footwell, steering and shifter.
Old 03-01-22, 07:05 PM
BigSvensk
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by situman
Interestingly, I have this issue with the stock exhaust at the exact same rpms on my 2022. I even feel it through the footwell, steering and shifter.
That's weird. I wonder if one of your engine mounts is bad? Shouldn't be this soon of course, but stranger things have happened.
Old 03-01-22, 09:35 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Have your muffler shop fabricate (or buy) a BRANCH CHAIN RESONATOR for a few bucks! It will cure any drone you have! I did it on my 300ZX, Tundra and LX470…! I plan on adding MagnaFlow to the GX460 after I buy wheels… & I’m getting BCR added as well!
skeener (03-28-24)
Old 03-02-22, 10:00 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSvensk
That's weird. I wonder if one of your engine mounts is bad? Shouldn't be this soon of course, but stranger things have happened.
Wouldnt a bad engine mount cause shaking and rocking at all rpms?
Old 03-02-22, 06:36 PM
BigSvensk
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by situman
Wouldnt a bad engine mount cause shaking and rocking at all rpms?
Not necessarily, although I would expect it to be somewhat evident at startup and during revving at idle.

Just trying to think of something that would affect all of those systems, don't think exhaust would do it.

Quick Reply: GX 460 Exhaust