GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2022 GX and locking the doors via the fob while running?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-22 | 04:22 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

Default 2022 GX and locking the doors via the fob while running?

Can you seriously not lock the doors when you walk away from the vehicle with the key fob and the vehicle is running?

I wanted to let the GX warm up a bit before I hooked up the trailer so I back it out, get out, and try to lock the doors with the fob but all it does is beep at me.

Seriously…why?!?!?!
Old 02-20-22 | 04:51 PM
Seanzky
Intermediate

You can shut off the car, lock it, and just start it remotely to warm up, no? I've actually never tried that before.
Old 02-20-22 | 04:53 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Seanzky
You can shut off the car, lock it, and just start it remotely to warm up, no? I've actually never tried that before.
You can but then it shuts off after 10 minutes or when you touch the door handle before the 10 minutes are up.

It’s going to be below 0F the next time I tow so I’ll probably want to let it warm for 15+ minutes.
Old 02-20-22 | 05:47 PM
DSMinATL
Driver

How reliable has the remote start been with the app for you? For us the remote start only works ~25% of the time. We press the hold start button on the app, it says it’s communicating and chimes like it was successful but the GX doesn’t start. I really wish they would stop moving features like this to an app on a phone instead of the key fob.
The following users liked this post:
Seanzky (02-21-22)
Old 02-20-22 | 05:52 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DSMinATL
How reliable has the remote start been with the app for you? For us the remote start only works ~25% of the time. We press the hold start button on the app, it says it’s communicating and chimes like it was successful but the GX doesn’t start. I really wish they would stop moving features like this to an app on a phone instead of the key fob.
I don’t honestly use remote start since it shuts the vehicle off when you open the door. It just pisses me off.

I’ve only used it 3 times and it failed once.

You can also use the fob by pressing lock, wait a second and press lock again, wait 2-3 seconds and press plus hold lock again. After that the lights should flash 2 or 3 times and it’ll start.
Old 02-20-22 | 06:23 PM
DSMinATL
Driver

Originally Posted by jlficken
I don’t honestly use remote start since it shuts the vehicle off when you open the door. It just pisses me off.

I’ve only used it 3 times and it failed once.

You can also use the fob by pressing lock, wait a second and press lock again, wait 2-3 seconds and press plus hold lock again. After that the lights should flash 2 or 3 times and it’ll start.
Wow okay so we just tried this and it took a few attempts but it worked. This is nowhere in the manual from what I can see. Still seems better than using the app since it just spins and tells you it's successful when it's not. Glad I'm not paying for the app.
Old 02-20-22 | 06:47 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

Wow okay so we just tried this and it took a few attempts but it worked. This is nowhere in the manual from what I can see. Still seems better than using the app since it just spins and tells you it's successful when it's not. Glad I'm not paying for the app.

Yeah it’s a hidden feature that may be removed someday without an active Remote Connect subscription.

Toyota recently caught a lot of flack over it since lots of dealers tell customers about it so people expect it to always work without a subscription. We’ll have to see what happens in the future in regards to it still working.
Old 02-21-22 | 06:11 AM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Mine is worse. I get a 'communication error'. I've only ever gotten mine to start twice in all the times I've tried. And when I said I've never tried it before, I meant the key fob. It's too much BS, pressing combos.