GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2022-2023 GX Infotainment Questions, Problems, Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-22, 10:48 AM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
My wife has a 2019 Lexus GX460 ... I have a 2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser and a 1973 Ford Bronco

If I want to change the ventilation fan speed in the FJ Cruiser ... it's a simple turn of a physical **** ... no need for "eyes-off-the-road". In the 2019 GX460 ... it requires pressing a button and then going down two menu layers before adjustment ... 3-4 seconds of "eyes-off-the-road" ... at 60 MPH = 264 to 352 feet traveled ... not a very safe design approach ... with "infotainment" not being much different in terms of driving distraction.
The 2022 GX has two buttons that regulate fan speed. One button to lower fan speed and the other button to increase speed.
Old 03-06-22, 11:04 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,033 Likes on 690 Posts

Friend is into vintage airplanes ... goes to all of the major air shows world wide ... asked me why I thought there were no planes in vintage air shows beyond 19xx (cannot remember the year) ... his answer ... because integrated electronics are no longer available, so the majority of vintage planes produced after are effectively grounded.

Hagerty recently wrote an article about the same ... argued that with modern cars ... the concept of "future classics" has become an obsolescence impossibility due to the same. So for me, simplicity is paramount. If one is a "Lease Flipper" ... then this is not an issue ... for those that drive their vehicles until the wheels fall off ... it should be pause for consideration.

Last edited by ASE; 03-06-22 at 11:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Seanzky (03-07-22)
Old 03-06-22, 11:06 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by catdaddylo
The 2022 GX has two buttons that regulate fan speed. One button to lower fan speed and the other button to increase speed.
Yes, I understand that the 2022 finally addressed the past "menu buried" fan speed adjustment ... but I only used this example to make a broader point.
catdaddylo (03-06-22)
Old 03-06-22, 04:40 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hehena
Modern vehicles are a commodity item and not intended for multi-generational use, on purpose.

Have fun absorbing the depreciation ...
Old 03-06-22, 04:40 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,654 Likes on 2,392 Posts

Bare in mind there are more infotainment repair shops than ever now. IMO: It is usually blown capacitors on most things... actually pretty easy to fix with some simple soldering replacements.

I can't tell you the thousands I've saved the last decade just knowing how to solder.

Last edited by Acrad; 03-06-22 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-06-22, 07:39 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Received 325 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
Have fun absorbing the depreciation ...
I hear you, but c'mon the cars we grew up with were absolutely horrendous. My first car in college was a 10 year old Plymouth Horizon - terrifying at over 70 miles an hour and fell apart way before 100k. Junk, along with almost everything else.
The following 2 users liked this post by CFAI:
FOGeologist (08-19-23), Hehena (03-06-22)
Old 03-06-22, 08:35 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CFAI
I hear you, but c'mon the cars we grew up with were absolutely horrendous. My first car in college was a 10 year old Plymouth Horizon - terrifying at over 70 miles an hour and fell apart way before 100k. Junk, along with almost everything else.
Huh ... what ... are you even on the same topic ?
Old 03-06-22, 09:35 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Received 325 Likes on 221 Posts

I think I am, but as I get older I am often a step or two behind. I thought we were suggesting that modern cars via increased tech are becoming less reliable and I think in general it is the opposite.
Old 03-07-22, 05:14 AM
rblexus2
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad
Bare in mind there are more infotainment repair shops than ever now. IMO: It is usually blown capacitors on most things... actually pretty easy to fix with some simple soldering replacements.
You're exactly right here. I think this is the takeaway. Really the more I think about it the sales rep was just trying to scare the **** out of me so I buy the extended warranty. I kind of stopped him and just was like dude... why are you now telling me the car isn't 'reliable' electronically, I'm buying a Lexus for the longevity. Wonder what he would say if I tell him I rather take the 4runner .. lol. Not a very good salesman. Read the room

I've decided to stick with the GX, and now I realize anything the sales rep says is most likely a lie. Do my own research, and like you said they have the infotainment shops now. I didn't even think of that.

After all the GX is a LC Prado and Toyota designs those things to last for 25 years.
The following 2 users liked this post by rblexus2:
catdaddylo (03-07-22), CFAI (03-07-22)
Old 03-07-22, 08:25 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CFAI
I think I am, but as I get older I am often a step or two behind. I thought we were suggesting that modern cars via increased tech are becoming less reliable and I think in general it is the opposite.
Your point is valid ... vehicles today are infinitely more (mechanically) reliable than in the past. I believe the point of this post is that peripheral "infotainment" or more specifically "head-unit integration" has added a significant level of unnecessary complexity ... "cabin tech" ... that has absolutely nothing to do with a vehicle being a reliable transportation device. Yes, engine management computers and the associated closed loop systems have significantly improved gas mileage, the reduction of emissions ... while maximizing engine performance ... which is all good ... but "cabin-tech" is a totally different subject.
CFAI (03-08-22)
Old 03-07-22, 08:34 AM
rblexus2
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
Your point is valid ... vehicles today are infinitely more (mechanically) reliable than in the past. I believe the point of this post is that peripheral "infotainment" or more specifically "head-unit integration" has added a significant level of unnecessary complexity ... "cabin tech" ... that has absolutely nothing to do with a vehicle being a reliable transportation device. Yes, engine management computers and the associated closed loop systems have significantly improved gas mileage, the reduction of emissions ... while maximizing engine performance ... which is all good ... but "cabin-tech" is a totally different subject.

Yeah exactly. The mechanicals as far as engine and transmission are bulletproof but the cabin tech has the ability to brick the whole car being that everything is routed through a central computer. So what's the point if the engine lasts 25 yrs when a computer breaks in the cabin rendering all climate control inoperable and it costs 15k to replace the computer. That's more expensive than a new engine
Old 03-07-22, 10:08 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rblexus2
Yeah exactly. The mechanicals as far as engine and transmission are bulletproof but the cabin tech has the ability to brick the whole car being that everything is routed through a central computer. So what's the point if the engine lasts 25 yrs when a computer breaks in the cabin rendering all climate control inoperable and it costs 15k to replace the computer. That's more expensive than a new engine
Exactly ... marketers have convinced everyone that they cannot live without "the latest and greatest cabin tech" ... that a vehicle is "less than" if considered "behind" in this area. All the more reason I respect Toyota for being conservative.
Seanzky (03-07-22)
Old 03-09-22, 05:08 PM
SEELEXUS
Pit Crew

Received 114 Likes on 47 Posts

I received the photodon.com screen protector for the IS350 (10.3” size). Width is good. It is a bit taller than the 2022 GX460 screen (see pictures).

I have a good Rototrim cutter — will trim the bottom edge of the screen protector about 1/8” to see if I can get a better fit. It’s dark outside now, so I’ll do that tomorrow. Will post those results.

Left side of the photodon IS350 10.3” screen protector is about 1/8” taller than the 2022 GX460 screen.

Right side of the screen protector.

The following 2 users liked this post by SEELEXUS:
Siblue (03-11-22), Vlad6525 (03-09-22)
Old 03-11-22, 02:56 PM
rlx02
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SEELEXUS
I received the photodon.com screen protector for the IS350 (10.3” size). Width is good. It is a bit taller than the 2022 GX460 screen (see pictures).

I have a good Rototrim cutter — will trim the bottom edge of the screen protector about 1/8” to see if I can get a better fit. It’s dark outside now, so I’ll do that tomorrow. Will post those results.

Left side of the photodon IS350 10.3” screen protector is about 1/8” taller than the 2022 GX460 screen.

Right side of the screen protector.
let us know how it goes!
Old 03-12-22, 04:26 PM
SEELEXUS
Pit Crew

Received 114 Likes on 47 Posts

I finished trimming the “test” Photodon.com 10.3” screen protector (I ordered two).

Trimmed the long edge. Started at about 1/16” of inch cut off and then eyeballed it on the Lexus screen. Took a bit more off and the result is in the pictures - where I have the screen protector sitting on plastic trim (it is not mounted on the Lexus screen). Looks like it should be an acceptable fit. You’ll want a very straight cut edge - I have a rototrim cutter which made that easy to accomplish.

I haven’t had time to do all the prep work on the Lexus screen (cleaning and dust removal) and I haven’t installed the screen protector yet. Possibly sometime this week.

Trimmed Photodon.com IS350 screen protector test

Top right corner

Trimmed screen protector on top of untrimmed screen protector showing amount of cut/reduction

Quick Reply: 2022-2023 GX Infotainment Questions, Problems, Concerns