GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Leveling kit for 2022 GX460

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-22 | 11:58 AM
Koz

If your vehicle has the rear auto-leveling option you will also have AVS (adaptive shocks) and KDSS. Lexus engineered these components to work perfectly together, especially when towing. Unless you want to lift the vehicle for ground clearance (bigger tires) I recommend, don't change anything. Even a simple spacer will reduce the travel/stroke of the susp. (very minimal). The GX is amazing off-road, the only issue is ground clearance. The clearance is the limiting factor for off-roading. The problem with lifting the GX and maintaining the ride/towing quality. To do this the right way you would probably spend approx $10K. Many components have to be modded to properly lift the vehicle. Do yourself a favor and leave the GX stock unless you plan on moderate off-roading.
The following users liked this post:
Cmdwolf (12-23-23)
Old 03-22-22 | 07:34 PM
aredub
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Koz
If your vehicle has the rear auto-leveling option you will also have AVS (adaptive shocks) and KDSS. Lexus engineered these components to work perfectly together, especially when towing. Unless you want to lift the vehicle for ground clearance (bigger tires) I recommend, don't change anything. Even a simple spacer will reduce the travel/stroke of the susp. (very minimal). The GX is amazing off-road, the only issue is ground clearance. The clearance is the limiting factor for off-roading. The problem with lifting the GX and maintaining the ride/towing quality. To do this the right way you would probably spend approx $10K. Many components have to be modded to properly lift the vehicle. Do yourself a favor and leave the GX stock unless you plan on moderate off-roading.
Originally Posted by IanB2
You would adjust the rear height sensors so the rear airbags target height is higher than stock.
Thank you both so much for your replies. I will indeed be putting larger tires on as well as leveling the front at minimum. I did a 1/2 inch top plate spacer on my Tacoma Pro and loved the 1 inch lift that I gained from that. If the top plate doesn’t net the results I’m looking for, I’ll likely go Dobinsons. Though I do realize the Lexus systems are designed to work in unison, I am not looking to lift the rear. I’d still like to know if I were to level the front, will the rear air bags try to level the rear on their own to “catch up” to the leveled front end? Thanks again
Old 03-22-22 | 07:42 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aredub
Thank you both so much for your replies. I will indeed be putting larger tires on as well as leveling the front at minimum. I did a 1/2 inch top plate spacer on my Tacoma Pro and loved the 1 inch lift that I gained from that. If the top plate doesn’t net the results I’m looking for, I’ll likely go Dobinsons. Though I do realize the Lexus systems are designed to work in unison, I am not looking to lift the rear. I’d still like to know if I were to level the front, will the rear air bags try to level the rear on their own to “catch up” to the leveled front end? Thanks again
I'm sure not ... it's a height sensor, not an angle sensor. BTW ... it is easy to move the rear height sensor ... shifting the "Neutral" position up or down.
aredub (03-22-22)
Old 03-23-22 | 07:04 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aredub
Rear height sensor measures rear height only, front height doesn't play into it. If you don't touch it, rear height will remain as it was stock.
Old 03-23-22 | 09:40 AM
aredub
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IanB2
Rear height sensor measures rear height only, front height doesn't play into it. If you don't touch it, rear height will remain as it was stock.
Exactly the information I was looking for! Much appreciated!
Old 03-23-22 | 10:08 AM
Koz

To lift the rear by shimming the limit switch is easy. Lowering the height is not that easy. You will need to move the arm/lever. If you are going to do this, only move the arm a tiny bit at a time and mark the original locations (so you can revert back if needed). If your goal is to level the vehicle and you were happy with a spacer on your Taco, the GX will work the same way. If you want bigger tires (depending on the size) you may need to invest. To avoid a lot of other mods I recommend not exceeding 33" tires. You would avoid a body mount chop and re-gearing. If you spend most of the time on-road don't go too big.
Old 03-23-22 | 04:02 PM
aredub
Driver School Candidate

Thanks @Koz Definitely not dropping the rear, would like to keep it stock height (for a while) and just run with the 1/2 inch top plate up front. I don’t plan on going too much bigger with tires, but definitely larger than stock. Thanks again for all the help all.
Koz (03-23-22)
Old 09-11-23 | 07:11 PM
GreenGX11
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ASE
Do not go the spacer route ... not a good solution. My approach was to install Toytec Ultimate Coilovers ... Bilstein 5100's with a threaded lower spring perch collar .... so the ride height can be dialed-in to an exact height on either side of the vehicle. The added bonus is that the dreaded "driver's side lean" can be easily addressed in the future. For me ... I wanted to preserve some front end rake ... but agree, the stock stance is way too "nose down" .... so I lifted the front end just under 1.5-inches given 2-inches starts to cross the line to where drive shaft angles becomes a consideration.

did you lose any of the good ride compared to stock?
How about steering and drift on highway at higher speeds? Thanks. Just joined the gx club
Old 12-23-23 | 07:42 AM
Cmdwolf
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Koz
Koz, thanks and just found this in my search. I have a 2023 Lux, with rear auto-leveling, AVS, and KDSS. I do want to add larger tire 32 to 33 the most. I too do not want to change much and still have the ability to do green, and blue trails. This is still a daily driver. Would you recommend then to just add a bumper for more clearance, like Victory Bltiz and some rock sliders? Would adding front coil overs to level impact me that much? Thanks for any recommendation.
Old 02-02-24 | 10:57 AM
stampede4474
2nd gear

Originally Posted by ASE
Do not go the spacer route ... not a good solution. My approach was to install Toytec Ultimate Coilovers ... Bilstein 5100's with a threaded lower spring perch collar .... so the ride height can be dialed-in to an exact height on either side of the vehicle. The added bonus is that the dreaded "driver's side lean" can be easily addressed in the future. For me ... I wanted to preserve some front end rake ... but agree, the stock stance is way too "nose down" .... so I lifted the front end just under 1.5-inches given 2-inches starts to cross the line to where drive shaft angles becomes a consideration.
Hey did you have to replace the upper control arms to achieve a proper alignment? I’m planning to go the same route for me 2010 GX. Dobinsons website says that control arms have to be replaced when lifting 1,5 inches +, others suggest doing that when lifting 2 inches +
Old 02-02-24 | 11:27 AM
ASE
Pole Position

^ SPC Upper Control Arms ... to better center larger diameter tires in the wheel wells to avert the need for a Body-Mount-Chop ...
Old 02-02-24 | 12:09 PM
stampede4474
2nd gear

Originally Posted by ASE
^ SPC Upper Control Arms ... to better center larger diameter tires in the wheel wells to avert the need for a Body-Mount-Chop ...
Gotcha. I will be running the stock size tires for now. Will probably replace the UCA to make sure the alignment can be done.
ASE (02-02-24)
Old 02-05-24 | 07:39 AM
SCOFF82
Rookie

Just added Bilstein 5100, OME springs (2.5" front, 2" rear) and SPC UCA's.

Old 02-05-24 | 09:03 AM
skeener
Driver

Originally Posted by ASE
Driver's side or passenger's side? I thought most people reported a lean to the passenger's side.
Old 02-05-24 | 09:10 AM
mike202
Intermediate

Driver's side or passenger's side? I thought most people reported a lean to the passenger's side.
Correct, the vehicle is lower on the right side compared to left (drivers) side.
skeener (02-05-24)

Quick Reply: Leveling kit for 2022 GX460