GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2023 Sequoia

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-22 | 04:11 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Acrad
While it might be late 2023 for a '24...it could even slip for '25 model... I haven't seen anything that would make me think a new GX is on the way for '24 model year at this point.

I'm trying to pick up a new '22 Yamaha Grizzly EPS XTR and local dealers are telling me it might end up being a '23.
I just bought a Yamaha RMAX 4 1000LE last fall. Way overkill but our son needed his own seat now that’s he’s 8.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (03-22-22)
Old 03-22-22 | 04:39 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Yeah.. gonna add another toy for the cabin. I plan to add some Camso tracks to it as well for next winter. It's been fun with a set of tracks on one of my Polaris Sportsman ATVs the last couple winters.
Old 03-23-22 | 08:30 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tecman
Ugh...still looking for a replacement ride. I know the new LX would be incredible but geez, back off of the grille Lexus. To late for that since it just came out.

F Sport is a little better

The LX is actually quite amazing looking in person. Dont let photos fool you.
Old 03-23-22 | 11:41 AM
fodalo
Instructor

Love the Capstone version. Be a bit B4 they hit in my area. Since the LX is a year off for delivery in most places, the Sequoia just may suffice. Both look to be great trucks.
nuclearn8 (03-26-22)
Old 07-25-22 | 04:00 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Yeah.. gonna add another toy for the cabin. I plan to add some Camso tracks to it as well for next winter. It's been fun with a set of tracks on one of my Polaris Sportsman ATVs the last couple winters.

Finally showing up next week.. steep price increase for '23 so glad I am getting a '22.

Probably tail end of this model before redesign but was looking for really long reliability

////

////

Last edited by Acrad; 07-25-22 at 04:29 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Acrad:
ballistice (07-27-22), NewB2Lexus (07-26-22), nyctfl (07-26-22), tntcandy (07-26-22)
Old 07-26-22 | 02:54 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Ugh...still looking for a replacement ride. I know the new LX would be incredible but geez, back off of the grille Lexus. To late for that since it just came out.

Could not agree more ... Lexus needs to move on from the "Spindle" Grille ... some (very few) are a work of art ... others are Fugly ... no consistency whatsoever. Branding gone mad.
The following 2 users liked this post by ASE:
2chains (07-27-22), MrTorgue (07-26-22)
Old 07-26-22 | 04:35 PM
MrTorgue
Instructor

Originally Posted by ASE
Could not agree more ... Lexus needs to move on from the "Spindle" Grille ... some (very few) are a work of art ... others are Fugly ... no consistency whatsoever. Branding gone mad.
100%. It’s time to move on for sure. Blame Audi for this fugly large grille fad.
Old 07-26-22 | 10:02 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

I think they did a good job with the F grill given they were probably told it had to be ginormous. Lexus engineers for the US were probably handcuffed by the needs of the global market but it struck out with the LX they designed for the states. It’s a really nice truck and it would of been a perfect GX but it’s not a flagship by US large luxury SUV standards. Maybe the upcoming TX will be morphed into the flagship but they needed a true 3 row SUV with all the useless bells and whistles that ppl paying six figures have come to expect. Don’t get me wrong this is an awesome truck but the dealers wanted a LX that would compete with Range Rovers, Escalades, Navigators, X7’s, GLS’s. In other words a rolling status symbol mug hi Hopefully the TX is sequoia size because vg GC I think it would sell well and open up a whole new market for Lexus.

Last edited by ellocovg; 07-26-22 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-27-22 | 03:31 PM
ballistice
Driver

Finally showing up next week.. steep price increase for '23 so glad I am getting a '22.

Probably tail end of this model before redesign but was looking for really long reliability
You can't beat Yamaha for reliability. I had a KFX700 that was also reliable. The cool thing about these new quads is the power steering. That is a game changer in reducing fatigue on tight rocky trails.

Originally Posted by ASE
Originally Posted by MrTorgue
100%. It’s time to move on for sure. Blame Audi for this fugly large grille fad.
I can't understand the negative feedback based on looks. Now if we are talking function then yes the low hanging plastic puts the GX at a disadvantage for clearance. It is an advantage for small bit of MPG and aerodynamics. It's all a tradeoff in performance. I personally put the looks of a vehicle at the very bottom of my purchasing decisions. In fact it's not even a consideration. Lifts, fancy wheels and other foofaraw is wasteful unless it performs a function that is commensurable to the looks.

[size=13px]Time will tell on the new Sequoia is going to hit it out of the park with the twin turbo V6. A lot of turbo engine reliability issues and failures are consumer based. The manufacturer based problem is the start/stop technology. This does not do a turbo engine any favors. Proper warmup and cooldown is a very important part of turbocharger longevity. [/size]The average motoring public does not understand this. Most consumers are not letting the turbo cool down sufficiently before shutting off the key.

I cringed at work (along with my supervisor and mechanic) when company policy changed requiring drivers to keep idle time down and shutting down engines as soon as the brakes are pulled. As some of us predicted we had a huge uptick of turbo failures. The number crunching CFO knew more than us though. The trucks were purchased with a warranty and were sold after warranty was up. Downtime sucked and it ended up with more company savings by parking drivers at home and not paying out wages.

None of us are going to be able to outguess Tracey Doi when it comes to how Toyota structures their profit. It is up to us as consumers to keep our vehicles as reliable as possible.
Old 07-27-22 | 05:13 PM
MrTorgue
Instructor

Originally Posted by ballistice
You can't beat Yamaha for reliability. I had a KFX700 that was also reliable. The cool thing about these new quads is the power steering. That is a game changer in reducing fatigue on tight rocky trails.

I can't understand the negative feedback based on looks. Now if we are talking function then yes the low hanging plastic puts the GX at a disadvantage for clearance. It is an advantage for small bit of MPG and aerodynamics. It's all a tradeoff in performance. I personally put the looks of a vehicle at the very bottom of my purchasing decisions. In fact it's not even a consideration. Lifts, fancy wheels and other foofaraw is wasteful unless it performs a function that is commensurable to the looks.

[size=13px]Time will tell on the new Sequoia is going to hit it out of the park with the twin turbo V6. A lot of turbo engine reliability issues and failures are consumer based. The manufacturer based problem is the start/stop technology. This does not do a turbo engine any favors. Proper warmup and cooldown is a very important part of turbocharger longevity. [/size]The average motoring public does not understand this. Most consumers are not letting the turbo cool down sufficiently before shutting off the key.

I cringed at work (along with my supervisor and mechanic) when company policy changed requiring drivers to keep idle time down and shutting down engines as soon as the brakes are pulled. As some of us predicted we had a huge uptick of turbo failures. The number crunching CFO knew more than us though. The trucks were purchased with a warranty and were sold after warranty was up. Downtime sucked and it ended up with more company savings by parking drivers at home and not paying out wages.

None of us are going to be able to outguess Tracey Doi when it comes to how Toyota structures their profit. It is up to us as consumers to keep our vehicles as reliable as possible.
I highly desire vehicle function and reliability, however if it is ugly to look at everyday the desirability takes a huge hit.
ballistice (07-27-22)
Old 07-27-22 | 08:32 PM
ballistice
Driver

I highly desire vehicle function and reliability, however if it is ugly to look at everyday the desirability takes a huge hit.
My KTM race bike was the ugliest on the planet. But I was not looking at it while racing. Same goes for my truck. Ugly as heck with a mismatched tan soft shell on white truck with super ugly water spotted black rim covers. It does the job though.

The GX's huge grill and overall look of the vehicle is difficult to describe. It's the interior, undercarriage, and powertrain which are a big seller. It is overpriced for what it is. So my wife and I are holding out until this big recession calms down and car prices drop like a rock. I'm looking hard at both the new Sequoia and GX as they are very similar in function. I'm turned off by the current vehicles manufactured/assembeled in the US, Germany, UK or Mexico. Those countries have a long way to go to come close to competing with Japan in terms manufacturing quality and reliability.

That being said, I'm an oddity when it comes to anything mechanical. My brain does not register with bright and shiny nor does it excite me. Reliability is number one followed by functionality. Sometimes it requires modifications to make it functional. As in the case of my KTM it was a competition bike and function was the most important and being just reliable enough to finish each race. I doubt I would ever own another. It was a money pit just like anything that is taken in extreme off road.

The following 2 users liked this post by ballistice:
Johnkato (02-28-23), Peacebay (01-04-23)
Old 07-28-22 | 12:06 PM
MrTorgue
Instructor

Originally Posted by ballistice
My KTM race bike was the ugliest on the planet. But I was not looking at it while racing. Same goes for my truck. Ugly as heck with a mismatched tan soft shell on white truck with super ugly water spotted black rim covers. It does the job though.

The GX's huge grill and overall look of the vehicle is difficult to describe. It's the interior, undercarriage, and powertrain which are a big seller. It is overpriced for what it is. So my wife and I are holding out until this big recession calms down and car prices drop like a rock. I'm looking hard at both the new Sequoia and GX as they are very similar in function. I'm turned off by the current vehicles manufactured/assembeled in the US, Germany, UK or Mexico. Those countries have a long way to go to come close to competing with Japan in terms manufacturing quality and reliability.

That being said, I'm an oddity when it comes to anything mechanical. My brain does not register with bright and shiny nor does it excite me. Reliability is number one followed by functionality. Sometimes it requires modifications to make it functional. As in the case of my KTM it was a competition bike and function was the most important and being just reliable enough to finish each race. I doubt I would ever own another. It was a money pit just like anything that is taken in extreme off road.
I was a key to get the best of both worlds by getting a 2010 GX. No large ungainly grille with all the capability and reliability. It’s a shame because the Prado 150 front end is fantastic.
The following 4 users liked this post by MrTorgue:
ballistice (07-29-22), DrRock (01-14-23), John00 (07-28-22), jphowey (02-27-23)
Old 01-01-23 | 11:34 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Agree ... most of the Lexus Spindle Grille designs are FUGLY ... most look like they would suck up small children ... only a limited few of this design are a work of art ... specifically on their top-end sports sedans.

Last edited by ASE; 01-01-23 at 11:38 AM.
MrTorgue (01-01-23)
Old 01-01-23 | 11:37 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by situman
The LX is actually quite amazing looking in person. Dont let photos fool you.
Now that grille is beyond FUGLY ... seriously ... get that thing out of my face ... please ... now ... make it stop.

Great vehicle ... but that grille is an absolute NO-Go for me.

Last edited by ASE; 01-01-23 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-01-23 | 11:05 PM
TheLastV8
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ASE
Now that grille is beyond FUGLY ... seriously ... get that thing out of my face ... please ... now ... make it stop.

Great vehicle ... but that grille is an absolute NO-Go for me.
Personally, I feel the interior is the big let down for me. That multi screen nonsense. Reminds me of the older Acura MDX. Didn’t work then, why did they think it would work now ?

Quick Reply: 2023 Sequoia