GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Cellular Signal Booster

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-22, 11:38 AM
SEELEXUS
Pit Crew

Received 114 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Cellular Signal Booster

I am planning a few long distance trips to family and also visit more of our country / national parks. Spent some time researching cellular booster options and decided to go with the Cel-Fi GO+ M. Cell booster technology is not perfect and can't do miracles -- still, I'm willing to give it a shot and see if there is any benefit on those long / more remote stretches (and possibly, some light off-road areas). I have AT&T for my phone - the single cellular provider at a time limitation of the Cel-Fi GO+ M shouldn't be an issue for me.

Placed an order today and hope to have it sometime next week.

I'll share what I think about the kit and installation (I'm not going to install it permanently in my GX - not at this time).

I'll also share my "real world use" experience(s) - however, that will be later.

Here's where and what I purchased:

https://www.waveform.com/products/cel-fi-go-m

Waveform tech was very helpful in answering my questions prior to my purchase.
The following 2 users liked this post by SEELEXUS:
hzhao (03-25-22), Seanzky (03-25-22)
Old 03-25-22, 11:46 AM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Received 206 Likes on 115 Posts

Have you considered this one?

https://www.weboost.com/products/drive-reach
Old 03-25-22, 11:59 AM
SEELEXUS
Pit Crew

Seanzky,

I did consider it. It has some advantages over the Cel-FI.

I decided to go with the Cel-FI instead. A number of reviewers noted improved signal gain vs the Weboost.

I can also use the Cel-FI for indoor use / provided I purchase the additional accessories to do so (antennas). If the unit doesn't work for me in my GX, then I'll "donate" it to a family member for their home.

Old 03-25-22, 02:18 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by SEELEXUS
Seanzky,

I did consider it. It has some advantages over the Cel-FI.

I decided to go with the Cel-FI instead. A number of reviewers noted improved signal gain vs the Weboost.

I can also use the Cel-FI for indoor use / provided I purchase the additional accessories to do so (antennas). If the unit doesn't work for me in my GX, then I'll "donate" it to a family member for their home.
Definitely will follow this thread and looking forward to hearing your real world experiences. I am also in the market for the signal booster for preparing my summer trips. I have all three major carriers services for cell phones and mobile hot spot devices. A good booster will definitely help.
Old 04-03-22, 07:45 AM
SEELEXUS
Pit Crew

Update 1:

Hardware
I received the Cel-FI Go booster kit and “installed it” temporarily for testing purposes. It was easy to install. I didn’t do any elaborate snaking and hiding of the cables at this time.

I placed the donor antenna on the rear portion of my GX roof - about middle between the shark fin antenna and the passenger side cross bar support. I did snake the donor antenna’s thin cable through the rear swing door (bottom portion of the door) and into the rear cargo area.

The donor antenna cable (DACAR302 coaxial cable) was only long enough for placing the Cel-FI electronics box in the back cargo area.

The manual recommends there be some distance between placement of the donor antenna outside and the server antenna inside (the more distance the better).

Cable lengths
Outside donor antenna cable is 10ft
Inside server antenna cable is 13ft
12V power cable is around 16 ft

Other
A Cel-FI AC adapter is included - it is rated at INPUT: 100-240V - 50/60HZ 0.8A, OUTPUT: 15.0V 1.6A. I haven’t tried using that AC adapter into the GX rear plug - it does fit in the plug.

I have a Dometic PLB-40 battery which I use for powering the Cel-FI and my Dometic cooler. The PLB-40 works well for both devices.

Software
There are two iOS apps for the Cel-FI GO. WAVE and myWAVE.

WAVE is required to setup and configure the device.
MyWAVE is an optional bluetooth based background app that, per the app description, is a simple “Follow my Phone” utility which ensures the GO is boosting the same frequency that the phone prefers.

Experience / Thoughts
I installed WAVE first - after powering the Cel-FI system. WAVE connected via bluetooth and immediately went to downloading and installing two updates. After the updates were finished, I switched the factory default from Verizon boost to AT&T boost. The software was issue free. I made a brief trip around town to see if I could tell any difference. I couldn’t tell any difference but I didn’t really do a scientific test. I just played around with the placement of the server antenna. I don’t have an app which enables me to see a map/route cellular signal strength before / after - although I’m looking for one (if you have any suggestions, please reply back with them - thanks).

After finding myWAVE on the App Store, I installed it. It is a VERY simplistic app (Bluetooth connection to Cel-FI, turn app On / turn app Off). My (non-scientific) feeling is that myWAVE does help. Tthe number of cellular signal bars seemed to go up to 4-5 bars while in my driveway - where I usually get 2/3 bars. myWAVE is a bit buggy. If you leave your vehicle, you have to remember to disable (turn off) the app. If you don’t, it will give odd screen results (e.g., blank) when you launch it again. Simply cancel the app and restart it to make it work again. Not a big deal to do.

The magnetic roof mounted donor antenna held on to its position on the roof with no problems - I’ve driven on the freeway at up to 70 mph and there was no movement of the antenna.

I plan on taking the Cel-FI with me during my upcoming road trip. Will have a chance to test it out further.

Cel-FI GO Specs

Last edited by SEELEXUS; 05-12-22 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo
Old 04-03-22, 07:48 AM
SEELEXUS
Pit Crew

Hzhao, the Cel-FI GO solution only works for 1 carrier at a time. You have to switch carriers via the provided WAVE app. If you don’t need 2 or 3 carriers simultaneously, then it might be a solution for you.
Old 04-03-22, 07:31 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by SEELEXUS
Hzhao, the Cel-FI GO solution only works for 1 carrier at a time. You have to switch carriers via the provided WAVE app. If you don’t need 2 or 3 carriers simultaneously, then it might be a solution for you.
Thanks for the info. That’s good to know.
Old 04-06-22, 08:11 AM
Piney1
Intermediate

Received 287 Likes on 171 Posts

These are not cheap but they work.

https://cradlepoint.com/resources/bl...20LTE%20Router

I put a bunch of them in cars / trucks in a large rural county and they were very good for getting the most out of the available signal.
Old 04-24-22, 06:11 PM
SEELEXUS
Pit Crew

Update 4/24/2022

Driven through Oklahoma, Missouri, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota and South Dakota.

I’ve been in the Badlands National Park for a few days - in the park, I’ve seen a noticeable improvement in cell service with the Cel-FI. Cell service (AT&T) is available in many areas but may be weak to very weak. In the vicinity of the in-park shop/food service, I’ve seen only 1 to 2 bars. When I am in my vehicle with the booster, I see 4-5 bars. I haven’t lost service anywhere I’ve driven in the park (lowest signal was 2 bars in my vehicle).

On the highways, I’ve not seen any cell signal gaps either (i.e., no signal areas to 1 bar signal areas) - it’s possible that this is a coincidence and AT&T has coverage over all the highways I’ve travelled so far.

I will continue to observe and will report back more findings.

The following 2 users liked this post by SEELEXUS:
hzhao (04-24-22), Seanzky (04-25-22)
Old 05-12-22, 04:16 PM
RonBarns
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there. I also used a cellular amplifier when traveling in the mountains of Romania. I used 3.6 pentastar performance upgrades. Even with poor cellular coverage, there was a great connection. I advise you to consider different options. I wish you an unforgettable trip with your family.

Last edited by RonBarns; 05-14-22 at 10:19 AM.