GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Auto High Beams

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-22 | 05:32 AM
obadea
Intermediate

Default Auto High Beams

I wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing this issue. When I have the High Beams in AUTO mode, and I initiate the High Beams, a lot of the times nothing happens. Then after a few minutes the Auto light indicator shows up on the dash, and the high beams turn on. A few minutes later the Auto light indicator turns off, and the high beams turn off. If I turn off the Auto button to have them in manual mode, the high beams work every time.
Old 03-27-22 | 07:26 AM
EricT64
Pit Crew

Auto high beams only come on when certain conditions are present. I would check the manual but with my Tundra, had to be going over 45mph, away from streetlights or oncoming traffic, etc
Old 03-27-22 | 08:45 AM
IanG
Intermediate

From the 2021 GX 460 manual

High beam automatic turning on or off conditions
● When all of the following conditions are fulfilled, the high beam will be automatically turned on (after approximately 1 second):
• Vehicle speed is above approximately 21 mph (34 km/h).
• The area ahead of the vehicle is dark.
• There are no vehicles ahead with headlights or tail lights turned on.
• There are few streetlights on the road ahead.

● If any of the following conditions are fulfilled, the high beam will be automatically turned off:
• Vehicle speed drops below approximately 17 mph (27 km/h).
• The area ahead of the vehicle is not dark.
• Vehicles ahead have headlights or tail lights turned on.
• There are many streetlights on the road ahead.
The following 3 users liked this post by IanG:
EricT64 (03-27-22), Hehena (03-27-22), IanB2 (03-27-22)
Old 03-27-22 | 05:11 PM
obadea
Intermediate

I am talking about this light, not the high beam light. This light indicates the Auto High Beam system is ready and engaged, but it doesn't indicate the high beams are ON. For me this light does not come on, and even after it comes on, it often goes out.
Old 03-28-22 | 05:37 AM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Auto high beam will allow the high beam (a separate blue light indicator) to come on when the camera can't see up ahead. Once it spots someone tail lights or head lights (coming the other way), it turns off again. The feature basically allows you to not have to manually pull or push the stalk when it's too dark and then disengage when there's oncoming traffic. Hence, the "auto". I personally love the convenience of it. The algorithm behind it is very accurate. When I first took delivery of my GX, I was so used to manually using my high beams on back roads that it kind of annoyed me. Then when I realized that it did the manual pulling/pushing of the left stalk, I just left it on until I got used to it.

If you have it in auto mode, yes, pushing the stalk will do nothing. Try pulling for momentary high beam because the push (turning it on) won't since it will turn on automatically.
Old 03-29-22 | 05:49 AM
Piney1
Intermediate

I find the auto high beam to be really annoying. When in neighborhoods, I like to use high beams when I’m the only vehicle on the road as people are out running and stuff. The way the system works is really too restrictive. The auto-high beams on my dad’s 84 Lincoln Continental worked better.
Old 03-29-22 | 06:26 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Piney1
I find the auto high beam to be really annoying. When in neighborhoods, I like to use high beams when I’m the only vehicle on the road as people are out running and stuff. The way the system works is really too restrictive. The auto-high beams on my dad’s 84 Lincoln Continental worked better.
I don't like it either. There's an RM yard on the road to my house, rural area, no lights except for the yard lights at the RM yard, which the GX thinks is an approaching vehicle so the auto high beams won't work when coming home at night, on the otherwise darkest road of my drive.
The following users liked this post:
Piney1 (03-31-22)
Old 03-29-22 | 12:26 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IanB2
I don't like it either. There's an RM yard on the road to my house, rural area, no lights except for the yard lights at the RM yard, which the GX thinks is an approaching vehicle so the auto high beams won't work when coming home at night, on the otherwise darkest road of my drive.
I have read the comments and if you don't want to use the automatic high beams, can't you just turn them off and manually use the stalk to turn your high beams on when you need them ?
Old 03-29-22 | 01:29 PM
tntcandy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by catdaddylo
I have read the comments and if you don't want to use the automatic high beams, can't you just turn them off and manually use the stalk to turn your high beams on when you need them ?
Exactly my thoughts, I have it off. Lexus auto hight beam is on/off only, not an advanced multi bean LED that "curves" around other cars etc.
Old 03-29-22 | 01:58 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by catdaddylo
yes. You can leave it off, and it will just act as the normal high beam. You can flash it for passing and turn them on or off as normally you do with the traditional ones.

I have the auto high beam on my LX, and I just leave it off all the time. I still use the high beam as old fashion manual way. With now days LED headlights, needs for using high beams are much lesser in reality. Manually control it is far better way in my opinion.
Old 03-29-22 | 02:03 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by tntcandy
Exactly my thoughts, I have it off. Lexus auto hight beam is on/off only, not an advanced multi bean LED that "curves" around other cars etc.
Correct. All US market auto high beams are just an on/off function. We are not talking about intelligent matrix lighting that is available in Europe and other market, which has not been approved by US DOT.