GX or Truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-22, 08:11 AM
rstrcgbrn
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default GX or Truck

Help.

I'm in the market for a new vehicle and am fairly torn between a 460, a tacoma, or a tundra. I'm cheap and would be buying used. The "Premium gas required" is a little scary with prices the way they currently are. Either way I would be getting terrible gas mileage compared to what I currently drive, but not really a factor now that I'm permanent WFH. I like the 460 for many of the reasons stated on this site and others. I like the tacoma because I'd be able to pick it up from my dad on the cheap. The tundra is just bigger. For the trucks - I'd only need the "truck" aspect for getting mulch, firewood, lumber for DIY etc etc. But it still has me thinking of the "what if I need it" scenario. I rarely tow and when I do I'm using our Flex. But being able to tow more is always nice. GX and the taco are comparable in capacity on that front, the tundra being the clear winner. Again, have no need to tow other than a utility trailer or a rented camper every now and again. I live in Houston and thus would primarily be on pavement but would like to be able to be a bit more adventurous when it comes to the beaches or the "wild".

Any of you GX owners find that you needed a truck and had buyers remorse?
Old 04-07-22, 08:20 AM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Received 206 Likes on 115 Posts

I was in your shoes exactly 6 months ago. Obviously, I went with a GX. I will be in the minority here when I say I do have some regrets. As much as I love my GX, I can't just throw #$%! in the bed and go when I need to. I also used my truck for things you mentioned in your post. I sure do miss my Tacoma. All I can tell you is to weigh your options and go with what you NEED most.

I will most likely buy a Tundra once their kinks have been worked out. I'll consider the next gen Tacoma depending on what that looks like (engine, transmission, 4wd capabilities, pricing, etc.) If either of those don't work out in my favor, I'll look at buying a used, previous gen Tundra or Tacoma (back to the same model year) and buy that just to have a truck. It's not easy loading up long guns and heading out to the ranch in a GX. Haha.
Old 04-07-22, 11:59 AM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 320 Likes on 217 Posts

OP says they are cheap. Can get the Tacoma for cheap from a trusted source. Get the Tacoma.
Old 04-07-22, 12:12 PM
rstrcgbrn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CFAI
OP says they are cheap. Can get the Tacoma for cheap from a trusted source. Get the Tacoma.
The Tacoma (2014 4d TRD w/long bed and ~110k miles) is only available IF my dad can find a new one he likes. Used GX would be 5-10k more than what he'd let it go for. Only concern with the tacoma is 2 kids in car seats in the back will be tight.

Still though truck vs SUV is still a valid comparison as both are going to bring strengths to the table hence the ask. Does a GX meet all your needs living in "suburbia" or do you find yourself needing a truck for hauling sports equipment, yard stuff etc etc? Same goes for vacations

Old 04-07-22, 01:55 PM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 377 Likes on 210 Posts

The GX serves all my needs for general travel, hauling and home projects except hauling bulk loads of soil or gravel. For construction material etc I cover the inside with plastic tarps and/or moving blankets. It works fantastic for camping and the associated gear (the main reason we bought the GX). On the odd occasion I need a truck I will either try to borrow one or rent one.
The following 2 users liked this post by IanG:
brutus27 (04-07-22), KOOLFELLA (04-08-22)
Old 04-07-22, 05:40 PM
mello03
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

If you go Tacoma go 2nd gen. I’ve had both Tundra (2020) and 3rd gen Tacoma (2016 and 2021) and the gas mileage is about the same but the utility and power of the Tundra makes it way better. I had a 2014 Taco and the 4.0 is better than the 3.5. If you even think about a 3rd gen Tacoma drive it a good bit before you buy it. The transmission is awful and it won’t hold 6th if you hit a bug. Know that the Tacoma is not a tow vehicle. It’s awful for anything over 3500lbs and you’re in S4 to stay in the power band. MPGs suffer bad. I would stay away from a Tacoma, but they hold their value like crazy.

Last edited by mello03; 04-07-22 at 05:43 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mello03:
aredub (04-16-22), rstrcgbrn (04-08-22)
Old 04-07-22, 05:47 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

You could always pick up a utility trailer with dimensions of a pickup truck bed for a few thousand to tow behind 460 when needed.

The following 5 users liked this post by Acrad:
IanB2 (04-08-22), MrTorgue (04-08-22), Piney1 (04-08-22), rstrcgbrn (04-08-22), tntcandy (04-07-22)
Old 04-07-22, 05:56 PM
tntcandy
Intermediate

Received 230 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad
You could always pick up a utility trailer with dimensions of a pickup truck bed for a few thousand to tow behind 460 when needed.
Exactly my thoughts, especially if you do not need pickup for daily work/hauling materials
The following users liked this post:
rstrcgbrn (04-08-22)
Old 04-07-22, 06:02 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

I picked up a new 8 x 10 utility trailer back in '12 and does everything I need. It has a 3500 lb axle on it as well with full sized wheels.
rstrcgbrn (04-08-22)
Old 04-07-22, 07:21 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by rstrcgbrn
Help.

Get a GX. If on the occasion you need a truck, rent one or better yet, rent or buy a utility trailer. I think everyone ought to own a truck. Many years ago I bought one and like a boat owner, the two happiest days of ownership was the day I bought it and the day I sold it.
rstrcgbrn (04-08-22)
Old 04-07-22, 11:57 PM
HedgeFund
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Hehena
Not sure it's worth making a comparison with the as stated reason being ones an SUV and the others are trucks.
GX is also a truck, just without the flatbed 😄
To the OP, If you really have a need to have a pickup truck, then go with it as you will regret later that you didn’t get it. But if you only need it rarely, then I think it’s better to enjoy all the luxuries of lexus.
rstrcgbrn (04-08-22)
Old 04-08-22, 02:30 AM
Piney1
Intermediate

Received 287 Likes on 171 Posts

I went from only having ever owned a truck for the past 20 years to the GX. The few times that I need to haul stuff, I get a U-Haul trailer for $20-30 and don’t have to worry about flat tires that happen to utility trailers that sit too long. Plus, I don’t have to store it.

I’ve always loved the Tacoma but love air conditioned seats even more. Will not have a car without them if I can help it.
rstrcgbrn (04-08-22)
Old 04-08-22, 04:49 AM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad
^ That’s what we are gonna do.
rstrcgbrn (04-08-22)
Old 04-08-22, 07:02 AM
rstrcgbrn
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for you input, really. Your comments are validating my internal GX argument. Just have to wait till I find the right one and pull the trigger on it. Patience sucks....
Old 04-08-22, 08:52 AM
rlx02
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rstrcgbrn
Help.

I'm in the market for a new vehicle and am fairly torn between a 460, a tacoma, or a tundra. I'm cheap and would be buying used. The "Premium gas required" is a little scary with prices the way they currently are. Either way I would be getting terrible gas mileage compared to what I currently drive, but not really a factor now that I'm permanent WFH. I like the 460 for many of the reasons stated on this site and others. I like the tacoma because I'd be able to pick it up from my dad on the cheap. The tundra is just bigger. For the trucks - I'd only need the "truck" aspect for getting mulch, firewood, lumber for DIY etc etc. But it still has me thinking of the "what if I need it" scenario. I rarely tow and when I do I'm using our Flex. But being able to tow more is always nice. GX and the taco are comparable in capacity on that front, the tundra being the clear winner. Again, have no need to tow other than a utility trailer or a rented camper every now and again. I live in Houston and thus would primarily be on pavement but would like to be able to be a bit more adventurous when it comes to the beaches or the "wild".

I have both a 22 GX and a modded 17 tacoma (armor, 35s, 5.29 gears, etc). The tacoma is nice because I even though I bought it new, I don’t care about it as much if I dent it on the trail or the bed gets a little scratched up from throwing stuff in. Likewise the interior can get dirty from wheeling or days at the beach. The GX was almost double the price of the tacoma new so this is mostly our family hauler and will stay prestine. So depends on what you really want to use it for. If you’re going to be commuting and doing some easy forest service roads once in a while go for the GX. If you want to do more off roading and more house projects and care less about luxury go for the truck.

rstrcgbrn (04-08-22)

Quick Reply: GX or Truck