GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Lexus GX460 12.3 inch Screen Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-22, 12:23 AM
psun786
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

So I bite the bullet and ordered one from China. It also came with 360 camera hardwares. There are two set of looms in the package, the “green” set fits most of my 18 GX460 hardness. The large connectors on the blue loom doesn’t match anything I have. My guess is each loom is for a different model year or trim? But I couldn’t find any connector on either the blue or green loom that connect to the black hardness from the car (see photo). Does anyone know what is this connector for?

As you would expected, there is no instruction in the box. Most of the hardness aren’t labeled. I messaged the seller but haven’t received a reply yet.

Old 08-22-22, 05:45 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 986 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by psun786
So I bite the bullet and ordered one from China. It also came with 360 camera hardwares. There are two set of looms in the package, the “green” set fits most of my 18 GX460 hardness. The large connectors on the blue loom doesn’t match anything I have. My guess is each loom is for a different model year or trim? But I couldn’t find any connector on either the blue or green loom that connect to the black hardness from the car (see photo). Does anyone know what is this connector for?

As you would expected, there is no instruction in the box. Most of the hardness aren’t labeled. I messaged the seller but haven’t received a reply yet.

Just by guessing, those additional wires might be for additional camera feeds, rear seat entertainment and/or touch screen function which could be an optional add on for those after market device (if they were available). If not, you might have to pair a Bluetooth mouse or some sort to navigate around screen. Remember, when you replace the screen portion of the head unit, there are lot needed to take into consideration, not a simple size difference.
The following users liked this post:
psun786 (08-22-22)
Old 08-22-22, 07:04 AM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

Not for me. I like the classic look of the OEM.

Would this aftermarket change affect resale value?
Old 08-22-22, 10:38 AM
psun786
Driver

Originally Posted by hzhao
Just by guessing, those additional wires might be for additional camera feeds, rear seat entertainment and/or touch screen function which could be an optional add on for those after market device (if they were available). If not, you might have to pair a Bluetooth mouse or some sort to navigate around screen. Remember, when you replace the screen portion of the head unit, there are lot needed to take into consideration, not a simple size difference.
The green loom is most likely for another model / trim since most of the connectors are same as the blue set. The rm14k1e terminals diagram I found online doesn't reflect an US market 2018 GX460 Premium. My best guess for the unaccounted for black connector is display / touchscreen feed, hence no wiring was provided from the aftermarket kit. If the seller doesn't get back to me within the next 24 hours, I will proceed with installation.

Originally Posted by FastTurtle
Not for me. I like the classic look of the OEM.

Would this aftermarket change affect resale value?
IMHO, the OE screen on pre-2021 is less to be desired in term of position, resolution and responsiveness. I often have to take my eye off the road to fiddling that screen. Not to mention navigation software is no where as capable as android apps. The resale value shouldn't be affected as everything is plug and play, you can always spend 30 minutes to revert it back if the buyer prefer OE screen.
Old 08-22-22, 01:36 PM
pchen0514
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The green loom is most likely for another model / trim since most of the connectors are same as the blue set. The rm14k1e terminals diagram I found online doesn't reflect an US market 2018 GX460 Premium. My best guess for the unaccounted for black connector is display / touchscreen feed, hence no wiring was provided from the aftermarket kit. If the seller doesn't get back to me within the next 24 hours, I will proceed with installation.

IMHO, the OE screen on pre-2021 is less to be desired in term of position, resolution and responsiveness. I often have to take my eye off the road to fiddling that screen. Not to mention navigation software is no where as capable as android apps. The resale value shouldn't be affected as everything is plug and play, you can always spend 30 minutes to revert it back if the buyer prefer OE screen.
I have same issued with this, I ordered this unit about 4month already, still not installed successfully yet!

Last edited by pchen0514; 08-22-22 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-22-22, 03:08 PM
psun786
Driver

Originally Posted by pchen0514
I have same issued with this, I ordered this unit about 4month already, still not installed successfully yet!
what issues did you encounter?
Old 08-22-22, 04:59 PM
khangsta
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got this unit today and was very confused trying to install it, like above, the cables make no sense. I also messaged my seller, but still no response yet. I had a feeling that this was too good to be true, especially since I paid 1.1k for it.
Old 08-22-22, 05:00 PM
pchen0514
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

what issues did you encounter?

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_3680.MOV (12.18 MB, 371 views)
IMG_3678.MOV (4.91 MB, 137 views)
IMG_3681.MOV (1.32 MB, 101 views)

Last edited by pchen0514; 08-22-22 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-22-22, 05:58 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by pchen0514
That seems there is no communication whatsoever with CAN bus. There are two possibilities for that: a) the cable harnesses are not corrected for pin layout or missing. b) the system is only made and programmed with regional specific CAN parameters, such as Asian/Middle East regions, therefor it is not recognized and will not be functioned properly.
Old 08-22-22, 06:11 PM
hzhao
Racer

It takes a lot to retrofit anything into OEM unit especially involves with CAN bus communication. When I integrated Lsailt CarPlay, I have sent the all CAN bus related parameters and information from US spec FSM to the factory in China to ensure the proper configuration and wiring. Noted that was just for the add-on unit, not to replace the display and half of the control unit! The result of that, I was able to get the integration with relatively minor bugs which mainly associated with Android OS and Apps.

As I have stated before, just like those Tasla style 15” unit that I have tried, those 12” ones are pretty much fall into the same category. Personally, I am not a fan of by replacing any OEM unit approach.
Old 08-25-22, 04:27 AM
khangsta
5th Gear

Does anyone know what this plug is? Is it a optical sound wire? If so, is there such thing as an extender cause it is too short to plug into the android unit. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-25-22, 06:29 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by khangsta
Does anyone know what this plug is? Is it a optical sound wire? If so, is there such thing as an extender cause it is too short to plug into the android unit. Thanks in advance.

I believe this is the OEM antenna harness.
The following users liked this post:
leftyguns (08-25-22)
Old 08-25-22, 04:18 PM
khangsta
5th Gear

Thank you! Has anyone set this android unit successfully? Mine turns on AC is working great, however, I have no sound, and back up and the front camera does not work. I have an ML system.

If you have successfully connected the unit, could you show me a diagram of the wires and where to connect them? I really appreciate it!
Old 08-25-22, 08:12 PM
psun786
Driver

Originally Posted by khangsta
Thank you! Has anyone set this android unit successfully? Mine turns on AC is working great, however, I have no sound, and back up and the front camera does not work. I have an ML system.

If you have successfully connected the unit, could you show me a diagram of the wires and where to connect them? I really appreciate it!
My GX doesn’t have ML sound and seller sent me the wrong hardness. I am still waiting for the correct cables being DHL to me from China. There is a installation video on YouTube for ML sound

*The following is based on the hardness I received. I assume it is for ML model since that is what China has.

You need to connect the rear camera cable (blue) to the included decoder (black box). It outputs signal via yellow RCA then goes to back of 12.3” screen between AC vents via a cable that has two TX/RX wires if my memory is correct.

There is no connector for the OE front camera. But mine came with a loom and 5 aftermarket cameras. I assume you need to replace factory OE camera with the aftermarket one for 360 view.

The sound should be the purple 16 pin cable that has one end to the car the other end to the radio. This cable also splits two RCA L/R connectors which goes into the screen.

Last edited by psun786; 08-25-22 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-08-22, 03:50 PM
Sefiro
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also bought the screen and have not been able to install it. I have a base gx460 and can't get audio and air conditioning. Someone may have a diagram or some information that works to identify the cable harnesses.

Quick Reply: Lexus GX460 12.3 inch Screen Upgrade