nuclearn8 (06-23-22)
Old 06-20-22, 03:33 PM
skrypj
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshDrivin;[url=tel:11312345
11312345]

Goodbye premium gasoline, hello [sometimes] free kWs

The lightning does seem very nice. Ford did a great job with it.

and I really like that it looks like a normal truck, not some Klingon battlecruiser/hovercraft looking thing.
The following 5 users liked this post by skrypj:
ASE (06-20-22), Hehena (06-21-22), MDSteamer (08-01-22), Peacebay (06-21-22), tntcandy (06-21-22)
Old 06-20-22, 04:04 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 343 Likes on 229 Posts

Enjoy it while you can. The federales and state gov’t will figure out how to recover that missing fuel taxes on registrations and taxing energy a bunch more. And I say this as a plugin hybrid owner enjoying next to no fuel usage while my GX sits in the driveway.
Old 06-20-22, 06:35 PM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

Congrats on the new EV!
Old 06-20-22, 06:43 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,033 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by MrTorgue
Enjoy it while you can. The federales and state gov’t will figure out how to recover that missing fuel taxes on registrations and taxing energy a bunch more. And I say this as a plugin hybrid owner enjoying next to no fuel usage while my GX sits in the driveway.
The only way fuel taxes (for road maintenance) can be preserved as the world shifts to electrification is via mileage tracking. To pretend otherwise is not living in reality ... big brother just does not want to talk about this too loudly.
The following 4 users liked this post by ASE:
FOGeologist (09-07-23), GoingII (08-13-22), Peacebay (06-20-22), Piney1 (06-22-22)
Old 06-21-22, 04:51 AM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Originally Posted by ASE
The only way fuel taxes (for road maintenance) can be preserved as the world shifts to electrification is via mileage tracking. To pretend otherwise is not living in reality ... big brother just does not want to talk about this too loudly.
Unless they monitor your driving/vehicle data (privacy violation) I don’t see how they can track your miles unless it is a self reporting thing. Hah, that’ll be abused. Some states are already talking about increasing registration costs to offset it for EVs. That’s where I think it’ll be the worst. In the end the federales will find a way one way or another. LOL
The following users liked this post:
mwike (06-21-22)
Old 06-21-22, 07:09 AM
mwike
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless they monitor your driving/vehicle data (privacy violation) I don’t see how they can track your miles unless it is a self reporting thing. Hah, that’ll be abused. Some states are already talking about increasing registration costs to offset it for EVs. That’s where I think it’ll be the worst. In the end the federales will find a way one way or another. LOL
Simple math, but like common sense, it's not so simple.
Old 06-21-22, 08:20 AM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

I won’t be surprised if everything is already in motion.

Old 06-21-22, 12:03 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,033 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by FastTurtle
I won’t be surprised if everything is already in motion.
No question ... no loss in tax revenue will be achieved ... by any necessary means. In all honesty ... mileage tracking is the only way this information can be collected ... especially during the transition period that will minimally take a decade.

Electric vehicles already collect an alarming amount of data ... as do most every vehicle sold within recent years.
Old 06-21-22, 05:22 PM
ballistice
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshDrivin

Goodbye premium gasoline, hello [sometimes] free kWs

Right on happy for you and enjoy. That is a sweet looking ride.

That goes with anything not even related to EV technology. I'm holding off on it myself as the numbers just don't add up to make it worthwhile. The cost of adding an electrical panel for level 2 charging, cost of KW at home and remote, maintenance and software glitches all add up to not costing much less than a gas vehicle for my use. Now if it is an around town only then it might be attractive.

Originally Posted by ASE
Electric vehicles already collect an alarming amount of data ... as do most every vehicle sold within recent years.
I don't see that as a problem at all. I don't have anything to hide so no big deal to me. I actually embrace the data collecting. The more manufactures know about the vehicle and how it's driven the better to improve technology. Unfortunately we are a long ways off from switching over fully to EV. The global infrastructure is limited on supporting the electricity required for it.
ASE (06-21-22)
Old 06-21-22, 07:46 PM
skrypj
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

EV drivers shouldn’t pay less taxes though. At the end of the day, and EV is almost always significantly heavier than an “equivalent” ICE.

For example, an extended range battery lightning seems to been in the 6600-6900 lb range. An F150 crew cab 4x4 3.5L Ecoboost is 5000-5500 lbs depending on trim. So, option for option the Lightning is probably more of a burden on our roads and infrastructure than an ICE F150.

Just like you have to pay more to register and refuel an F350 vs an F150 due to the higher GVWR, the same should apply to EV’s. Especially when an F150 EV weighs nearly as much as an F350 powerstroke.

Last edited by skrypj; 06-21-22 at 07:50 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by skrypj:
ASE (06-21-22), Piney1 (06-22-22)
Old 06-22-22, 02:29 AM
Piney1
Intermediate

Received 293 Likes on 176 Posts

https://www.ncsl.org/research/energy...-vehicles.aspx

Absolutely certain that they have ways of tracking your mileage. My Spidy Sense says that you are unknowingly transmitting the data when you charge up at the plug in stations. A friend owns some commercial real estate strip plazas. The electric utility wanted him to give them 9 good spaces per plaza for free so that they could be EV charging stations. He asked what is in it for him and one of the items was user data, no personally identifiable info, but the general info. The power company collects more though.

Right now, any time you take your car to the dealer or to one of many oil change places, the mileage and vin get uploaded to the web. Witness carfax reports and all that who have the info on their reports.

I really like the new Lightening but the new Silverado EV is one that is really tempting except for that I live in a state that charges ad-valorem taxes on vehicles & I’m too cheap to pay that on a brand new, 90k vehicle.
Old 06-22-22, 02:33 AM
Piney1
Intermediate

Received 293 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by ballistice
I don't see that as a problem at all. I don't have anything to hide so no big deal to me. I actually embrace the data collecting. The more manufactures know about the vehicle and how it's driven the better to improve technology. Unfortunately we are a long ways off from switching over fully to EV. The global infrastructure is limited on supporting the electricity required for it.
Until you get in a crash and were going 4 mph over the posted limit & the insurance company wants to reduce their payout due to your not following the law. This data is a HUGE untapped resource for the insurance companies. They already have access to the DOT traffic cameras in some states. While these were not intended to be recording cameras, the private sector already records them and insurance companies have to pay for them as they record them from feeds for the exact purpose of selling it.
Peacebay (06-23-22)
Old 06-22-22, 03:58 AM
gzorn
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Easy enough by have an annual state safety inspection in which they record your mileage. In CT we get emissions done every couple years in which you mileage is recorded.
Old 06-22-22, 04:51 AM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Originally Posted by gzorn
Easy enough by have an annual state safety inspection in which they record your mileage. In CT we get emissions done every couple years in which you mileage is recorded.
Good point about the inspection. That’s probably how they’ll do it.

Quick Reply: Traded GX for F-150 Lightning