GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Replacement Keys

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-22, 01:15 PM
summerst
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Replacement Keys

I am looking to get an extra key made for my 2019 GX460 Premium. Do I need to go to the Lexus dealer or can I go elsewhere to get one made? I have a Toyota dealer that is close by (Lexus is about a 70 mile drive).Can they do it? What would I need to provide them (VIN, etc.)? Would I have to pick up my own Key blank first?
Old 07-16-22, 03:49 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

I bought mine from Carvana and they lost one of the keys. They used Carkeysexpress.com I’m not sure if they are national or just in Jersey but a locksmith came out and in ten minutes he gave me an exact OEM Denso key.

I’d call Toyota first I’m not sure if they have access to the Lexus vins to cut the key. Years ago I tried to buy an aftermarket key and my Toyota dealer told me they wouldn’t/couldn’t cut or program a non Toyota key.

Originally Posted by summerst
I am looking to get an extra key made for my 2019 GX460 Premium. Do I need to go to the Lexus dealer or can I go elsewhere to get one made? I have a Toyota dealer that is close by (Lexus is about a 70 mile drive).Can they do it? What would I need to provide them (VIN, etc.)? Would I have to pick up my own Key blank first?
Old 07-16-22, 04:10 PM
stapletron
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure to call ahead, policies may vary beyond what is technically neeeded. My former mechanic shop lost my key while in for service. Dealer is right up the road from the shop, and knows the guys well. Dealer would not cut the key without proof of ownership, or having the second key present.
that was an odd situation, but just make sure before you drive out that you have it covered.
Old 07-16-22, 05:15 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

I think it’s the programming software that needs it. Years ago when the special keys became a thing I watched the Honda tech cut my Accord key at the dealer. The computer asked for him to put in the registration information as proof to proceed with cutting the key. It actually cut the key based off of the vin not really a copy. For the chip he had to present the original key to copy the chip information from key to key.

Originally Posted by stapletron
Make sure to call ahead, policies may vary beyond what is technically neeeded. My former mechanic shop lost my key while in for service. Dealer is right up the road from the shop, and knows the guys well. Dealer would not cut the key without proof of ownership, or having the second key present.
that was an odd situation, but just make sure before you drive out that you have it covered.
Old 07-16-22, 05:42 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

If you are up to it you can program the FOB yourself

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ogramming.html
The following users liked this post:
John00 (07-18-22)
Old 07-17-22, 01:54 PM
summerst
10th Gear

Originally Posted by ellocovg
I bought mine from Carvana and they lost one of the keys. They used Carkeysexpress.com I’m not sure if they are national or just in Jersey but a locksmith came out and in ten minutes he gave me an exact OEM Denso key.

I’d call Toyota first I’m not sure if they have access to the Lexus vins to cut the key. Years ago I tried to buy an aftermarket key and my Toyota dealer told me they wouldn’t/couldn’t cut or program a non Toyota key.
Thanks! I just made an appointment for next week on line with Carkeyexpress.com. Will getting new key mess up my other keys? That is, will my old ones still work fine or will they have to have to reprogram all my other keys?
Old 07-18-22, 09:38 AM
creektrail
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine came with one key, I bought a used one off ebay with a blank and had a local key maker in Lexington KY cut and program. Worked great, I think I ended up with a total of around $150 into it. They didn't promise it would work but it does fine. I don't even remember which is the original.
The following 2 users liked this post by creektrail:
DrRock (09-11-22), MrTorgue (07-18-22)
Old 07-20-22, 10:28 AM
chrisca70
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

You can go to the dealer and pay around $400. If you want to save money, read on. If you already know how to use Techstream, total cost will be around $115 (Sept-2021 price). If you do not have Techstream, then your total price should be around $165, since you will need a locksmith to program your key. All in all, this beats the $400 hit if you go straight to the dealership.
  • Purchase a virgin FOB remote from your preferred dealer. My GX460 FOB remote was part# 8990460590 and it was $100 including installed battery (yes! dealer had an online sale and free shipping). When you place your order, DO NOT order the key blade from the dealership, the uncut key blade is a separate part that you will order from a different source.
  • Order a cut key blade. I found a locksmith on eBay, seller name is "1010keys". You only have to send them a picture of your key blade from all angles and they will cut and send you a matching key blade for $15 total. This blade is obviously not genuine but it will fit your FOB remote and most importantly it will work.
  • If you have Techstream and the matching OBD cable ($30-50), there are multiple tutorials available online that show you how to program the FOB key to the car. I followed this one LINK.
    • If you do not want to deal with Techstream, just have a local Locksmith to program your key (~$50).

That's it. There are places that sell after market remote FOB but I have learned that the quality is not really the best with problems with range and proximity detection issues.
The following 2 users liked this post by chrisca70:
DrRock (09-12-22), SteveInCal (09-14-22)
Old 07-20-22, 09:51 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Thanks! I just made an appointment for next week on line with Carkeyexpress.com. Will getting new key mess up my other keys? That is, will my old ones still work fine or will they have to have to reprogram all my other keys?
I wasn’t home when the locksmith came to my house. When the lady scheduled me over the phone she said that the tech would need me to leave him one working fob to make the copy. I’m not sure what he did with it but they both work the same.

The day of my appointment my ring notified me that his van pulled into my driveway and ten minutes later he called me to notify me that he was done.

It’s an exact duplicate of my original remote. It has the same exact denso part number, Lexus logo, and the key itself is identical. I don’t even know which one is which anymore.

Out of curiosity what’s the damage for them? Carvana footed my bill but I would of been comfortable paying a little extra for the huge convenience of having them come out to do the job.

Last edited by ellocovg; 07-20-22 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-22-22, 10:12 AM
Pzoom
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Out of curiosity what’s the damage for them? Carvana footed my bill but I would of been comfortable paying a little extra for the huge convenience of having them come out to do the job.
I called Lexus in Austin and they quoted me $320 for the key/fob and $100 to program for my 2020.
Old 07-22-22, 12:37 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 343 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Pzoom
I called Lexus in Austin and they quoted me $320 for the key/fob and $100 to program for my 2020.
That’s about what park place in Plano told me.
Old 07-22-22, 02:42 PM
summerst
10th Gear

I wasn’t home when the locksmith came to my house. When the lady scheduled me over the phone she said that the tech would need me to leave him one working fob to make the copy. I’m not sure what he did with it but they both work the same.

The day of my appointment my ring notified me that his van pulled into my driveway and ten minutes later he called me to notify me that he was done.

It’s an exact duplicate of my original remote. It has the same exact denso part number, Lexus logo, and the key itself is identical. I don’t even know which one is which anymore.

It was $393.99.
Old 09-12-22, 04:11 PM
DrRock
10th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisca70
You can go to the dealer and pay around $400. If you want to save money, read on. If you already know how to use Techstream, total cost will be around $115 (Sept-2021 price). If you do not have Techstream, then your total price should be around $165, since you will need a locksmith to program your key. All in all, this beats the $400 hit if you go straight to the dealership.
  • Purchase a virgin FOB remote from your preferred dealer. My GX460 FOB remote was part# 8990460590 and it was $100 including installed battery (yes! dealer had an online sale and free shipping). When you place your order, DO NOT order the key blade from the dealership, the uncut key blade is a separate part that you will order from a different source.
  • Order a cut key blade. I found a locksmith on eBay, seller name is "1010keys". You only have to send them a picture of your key blade from all angles and they will cut and send you a matching key blade for $15 total. This blade is obviously not genuine but it will fit your FOB remote and most importantly it will work.
  • If you have Techstream and the matching OBD cable ($30-50), there are multiple tutorials available online that show you how to program the FOB key to the car. I followed this one LINK.
    • If you do not want to deal with Techstream, just have a local Locksmith to program your key (~$50).

That's it. There are places that sell after market remote FOB but I have learned that the quality is not really the best with problems with range and proximity detection issues.
Thank you for this. Debating if I want to purchase Techstream and the OBD cable, but I did source the physical key from 1010keys and sent them photos. Going to purchase part# 8990460590 for around $132 (cheapest I can currently find now) and then hoping my Lexus dealer will program it for me for $100. It will be nice to have two keys.