GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

LX engine for GX

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-22, 03:46 AM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

Idk if the Tundra is a great example right now. There having issues with bad wategates which put them into limp mode. Easy fix if parts we’re available but there’s a kicker. The job requires taking the body off of the frame to be able to get to the turbos!!! This is fine and dandy when your under warranty and the worst part would be having to drive a loaner Camry for awhile but imagine once the warranty is up how much that would cost. And no backyard weekend mechanic is watching YouTube videos diy this. It is a first year issue that will be addressed but would you really want to buy a 100K mile used Tundra with original turbos knowing that it’s a matter of time before you have to not only spend allot of money but question how many new rattles or damage will be done by separating the body from the truck. Toyotas secret formula for a long time has been to under stress the heck out of the engines so they last forever and as a side effect used Toyotas hold value extremely well because of the expectation of reliability. Companies like BMW’s secret is to squeeze every single drop of fun out of an engine which will make the original warrantied owner very happy but the second and third owner very sad once the warranty is gone.

Originally Posted by ballistice
Brad, yours and some of the other members responses are very typical of the average motoring public who do not understand how reliable a turbocharged engine can be. They are no more complicated than a NA motor. In fact some NA motors have many more moving parts and failure points than a simple turbocharged engine. I have explained this in detail before but your mind is made up so carry on with you assertion of the unreliability theory.

As stated, I have no problem whatsoever to be afraid how technology is moving forward with squeezing more reliable HP out of a gasoline engine. BTW the V35A-FTS has been out for over 5 years now and has been tested and proven to go 300,00 miles plus on same turbochargers with nothing more than regular service intervals. When it was stuffed into the Tundra in 2021 it has been singing along in Hotshot haulers all across the country already proving 150K+ reliable miles a year.

Last edited by ellocovg; 08-04-22 at 03:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BradTank (08-04-22)
Old 08-04-22, 05:28 AM
ballistice
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
Yes and I've had no issues.

Same vehicle/engine is spec'd with 87 octane in other countries.
The GX460 requires min 91 octane in the US market. You will shorten the life of the engine by using low grade fuel. This comes in the form of pre ignition and piston damage you cannot see or feel (without looking in the engine). The engine in other global markets has a different ECU and is tuned for the lower octane.

I recommend you put your bore scope in the spark plug hole and see for yourself. Please post up pictures of it during your 60K spark plug change interval.
Old 08-04-22, 09:02 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

The GX460 requires min 91 octane in the US market. You will shorten the life of the engine by using low grade fuel. This comes in the form of pre ignition and piston damage you cannot see or feel (without looking in the engine). The engine in other global markets has a different ECU and is tuned for the lower octane.

I recommend you put your bore scope in the spark plug hole and see for yourself. Please post up pictures of it during your 60K spark plug change interval.

Sure, whatever you say.

Old 08-04-22, 09:30 AM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Most Lexus models made for the last 20 years has said "premium" and they do fine on regular. The last GX I had also said "premium" and I used 87 octane and put around 150k miles on it with zero issues.
Old 08-08-22, 05:51 AM
wardman1
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too am putting 91 octane in the LX. Interesting thought on 87 but worried it will cause engine breakdown early and/or performance issues.
Old 08-08-22, 06:45 PM
John00
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 280 Posts

what is it that causes the reduction in engine life by using lower octane fuel? and is there any data to support this?
Old 08-08-22, 08:00 PM
ballistice
Driver

Originally Posted by John00
what is it that causes the reduction in engine life by using lower octane fuel? and is there any data to support this?
As stated, pre ignition using a lower octane fuel will substantially reduce the serviceable life of a motor. I'm pretty sure the engineers know more than us posting here in a forum. I do find it odd that someone who spends 60K plus on a new vehicle would argue against using gas that's less than 2.00 more a tankful. Your mind is made up so do as you wish.
The following users liked this post:
MrTorgue (08-09-22)
Old 08-08-22, 08:19 PM
ballistice
Driver

Originally Posted by ellocovg
Idk if the Tundra is a great example right now. There having issues with bad wategates which put them into limp mode. Easy fix if parts we’re available but there’s a kicker. The job requires taking the body off of the frame to be able to get to the turbos!!! This is fine and dandy when your under warranty and the worst part would be having to drive a loaner Camry for awhile but imagine once the warranty is up how much that would cost. And no backyard weekend mechanic is watching YouTube videos diy this. It is a first year issue that will be addressed but would you really want to buy a 100K mile used Tundra with original turbos knowing that it’s a matter of time before you have to not only spend allot of money but question how many new rattles or damage will be done by separating the body from the truck. Toyotas secret formula for a long time has been to under stress the heck out of the engines so they last forever and as a side effect used Toyotas hold value extremely well because of the expectation of reliability. Companies like BMW’s secret is to squeeze every single drop of fun out of an engine which will make the original warrantied owner very happy but the second and third owner very sad once the warranty is gone.
And what is wrong with popping the body off of the frame? This is a very quick easy way to access engine compartments for swapping turbos and engines. Way less labor intensive than pulling parts out from the top. Depending on vehicle of course. It's really not that big of a deal. I laugh so hard I'm in tears when these YouTube drama queens post up a video of "body off frame" and complain about the difficulty. At the same time cleverly editing out how easy it is. Cherry pickers are not being used much anymore on modern vehicles. Heck, front wheel drive unibody's have to have the whole front clip removed to just swap a transmission. None of these procedures are any more difficult. just different than what many are used to.
Old 08-08-22, 08:25 PM
John00
Racer

As stated, pre ignition using a lower octane fuel will substantially reduce the serviceable life of a motor. I'm pretty sure the engineers know more than us posting here in a forum. I do find it odd that someone who spends 60K plus on a new vehicle would argue against using gas that's less than 2.00 more a tankful. Your mind is made up so do as you wish.
im very interested and i thought you might have some data on preignition being caused by lower octane fuel and how this would reduce serviceable life. im also interested in where you got this idea, if its something you read somewhere or some other source.

not arguing in any way, just asking questions. if my mind was made up i wouldnt be asking. many assumptions in your post while im just looking for more info.

many confuse knock with preignition, and also dont understand whats meant by low octane in the articles. throw in the knock adjustments and i wonder about any data where gas at the octane rating on the pump actually is in any way potentially causing pre ignition or reducing engine life.

Old 08-09-22, 06:14 AM
ballistice
Driver

No sweat John, I'm not going to dig in too deep on the negative effects using low octane fuel in an engine that is tuned for high octane fuel. It's just common sense. Trying to find data on this is similar to acquiring data on the life expectancy of base jumpers. We all know the dangers of it. We all know there are no old base jumpers. Yet there is zero data to support anyone claiming the reduced life expectancy of someone doing it.
Old 08-09-22, 04:05 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Interesting post on Knock Sensors and lower octane fuel. Poster claims " For background I work specifically on steady state operations within engine calibration at an OEM. "

Post #34
The following 2 users liked this post by Acrad:
ballistice (08-09-22), MrTorgue (08-09-22)
Old 10-06-22, 11:25 PM
F90Guy
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad
Interesting post on Knock Sensors and lower octane fuel. Poster claims " For background I work specifically on steady state operations within engine calibration at an OEM. "

Post #34
That was an interesting read, essentially it will slowly damage the engine more so than regular wear and tear. I don't understand people trying to save a buck by not filling up premium. You want a fuel efficient vehicle? There is plenty to choose from, there are Hyundais getting almost 60mpg now. Oh it has to be a body on frame SUV, than get a 4Runner or a Sequoia, they run on regular. But I don't get getting a Lexus with a V8 and cheaping out on proper fuel. You can't have your cake and eat it too. I'm sure its some huge conspiracy designed to really screw a Lexus GX owners up their a-holes so Lexus execs can pad their valets from oil companies extra profits. No its cause you bought a Toyota V8 and trying to be "shrute" because it gets terrible milage! Then don't buy Toyota V8s! Yes you will spend more gas money than a hybrid 4 cyl Prius. I don't care if its 2002 GX470 you got for your kid, that's the compromise you get, you could have gotten a 4runner or a Tacoma. You can't buy a cheap old AMG, and complaining that replacing the 6 piston Brembos pads and rotors on it are still expensive. People are only screwing others who buy these vehicles after them, with compromised engines.
Old 10-07-22, 05:56 AM
John00
Racer

Originally Posted by F90Guy
That was an interesting read, essentially it will slowly damage the engine more so than regular wear and tear. I don't understand people trying to save a buck by not filling up premium. You want a fuel efficient vehicle? There is plenty to choose from, there are Hyundais getting almost 60mpg now. Oh it has to be a body on frame SUV, than get a 4Runner or a Sequoia, they run on regular. But I don't get getting a Lexus with a V8 and cheaping out on proper fuel. You can't have your cake and eat it too. I'm sure its some huge conspiracy designed to really screw a Lexus GX owners up their a-holes so Lexus execs can pad their valets from oil companies extra profits. No its cause you bought a Toyota V8 and trying to be "shrute" because it gets terrible milage! Then don't buy Toyota V8s! Yes you will spend more gas money than a hybrid 4 cyl Prius. I don't care if its 2002 GX470 you got for your kid, that's the compromise you get, you could have gotten a 4runner or a Tacoma. You can't buy a cheap old AMG, and complaining that replacing the 6 piston Brembos pads and rotors on it are still expensive. People are only screwing others who buy these vehicles after them, with compromised engines.
the link didnt work for me, maybe the post was removed?

Page could not be loaded

The requested page could not be loaded.
  • Check your internet connection and try again.
  • Certain browser extensions, such as ad blockers, may block pages unexpectedly. Disable these and try again.
  • IH8MUD may be temporarily unavailable. Please check back later.

i agree that knock can cause damage, but will it ever accumulate into an actual end user impact? If the answer was so obvious, if there was actual evidence there wouldnt be much discussion on it. think about when is there actually knock, that specific driving situation. Also if the post is about steady state low operations, that data does not apply at all to our dynamic state use.
but that is a very real difference. knock can impact low steady state much more for multiple reasons. equipment with hour meters.

not saying there isnt any damage, just wondering where is any evidence of end user impact, specifically on a recent on road vehicle with knock sense technology.

tuning, fuel requirements, even the little air blockers under the front by the tow hooks are all there in final form for the epa claim.

Old 10-08-22, 02:30 PM
BigSvensk
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I would think if 87 was that damaging we would be hearing about engine failures by now, since the engine has been in production since 2010 and plenty of people are running it.