LX engine for GX

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-22, 08:02 AM
wardman1
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LX engine for GX

Hello All,

Any thought on when this engine will pass down to the GX as an option? Love the ride, but would like LX performance specs.

Thx
Old 07-28-22, 09:03 AM
ballistice
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

The rumor mill is the new GX is going to have a detuned version of the LX/Sequoia/Tundra power plant. The V35A-FTS twin turbo V6 is a well proven design that can last 300K plus miles or more.
The following users liked this post:
wardman1 (07-28-22)
Old 07-28-22, 12:15 PM
wardman1
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks - I'd like to see that sooner than later. I know, there could be a V8 option, but hopefully more economical V6 too. It also looks like the Sequoia has a new engine, wonder if that could make it into the GX,

Last edited by wardman1; 07-28-22 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-30-22, 07:46 AM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by ballistice
The rumor mill is the new GX is going to have a detuned version of the LX/Sequoia/Tundra power plant. The V35A-FTS twin turbo V6 is a well proven design that can last 300K plus miles or more.
That’s what it looks like, Toyota/Lexus have unveiled there next generation’s of engines which will work its way through both brands. Early on there were rumors of a super tuned 4 but it looks like it’s going to be the watered down 6. The days of the mighty V8 are numbered. I suspect that the only one that stands a chance is if they continue using the V8 on the true F cars but even that seems like if they will be going with battery packs instead of extra cylinders.
Old 08-01-22, 03:16 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

I'd prefer the non-turbo engines. I guarantee you won't get the same service life out of such a ridiculously complex engine, all to get like 1-2 mpg better fuel economy. Will also add quite a bit to the purchase price.

I also like putting in 87 octane, not sure you can do that with the turbo engine.
The following 3 users liked this post by BradTank:
John00 (08-01-22), mello03 (08-03-22), MrTorgue (08-02-22)
Old 08-01-22, 05:59 PM
ballistice
Driver

Originally Posted by BradTank
I'd prefer the non-turbo engines. I guarantee you won't get the same service life out of such a ridiculously complex engine, all to get like 1-2 mpg better fuel economy. Will also add quite a bit to the purchase price.

I also like putting in 87 octane, not sure you can do that with the turbo engine.
Turbo equipped engines are every bit as reliable and have the same (and in some cases more) service life than a NA motor. Most all issues with turbo motors are owner related. They have to be idled and cooled down before shutting the engine off. Also if it has start stop that needs to be disabled. Turbocharging is a really great way to get reliable and efficient HP. It also has the advantage of adjusting to elevation changes without the power loss.
Old 08-01-22, 06:07 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

Hopefully for Toyota they’ve learned the secrets from all there overseas turbo diesels. I don’t know if I agree on that for every manufacturer. My work van is a 2019 Ford Transit and over on that forum it’s not rare for guys with the twin turbo to rebuild the turbos around 50-80K miles. The guys with the regular 3.7 have gotten 2-300K with no issues. Would it be nice to have that extra oomph yes but I’m perfectly happy with my more dependable plain vanilla engine. I especially distrust these tiny 4 bangers that they are turboing now to get an extra 1-3 mpg over a standard 4. If the secret is to sit in your vehicle to allow the turbos to cool down for an extra 5 minutes no one is ever going to do that on a non toy commuter beater car.

Turbo equipped engines are every bit as reliable and have the same (and in some cases more) service life than a NA motor. Most all issues with turbo motors are owner related. They have to be idled and cooled down before shutting the engine off. Also if it has start stop that needs to be disabled. Turbocharging is a really great way to get reliable and efficient HP. It also has the advantage of adjusting to elevation changes without the power loss.

Last edited by ellocovg; 08-01-22 at 06:13 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ellocovg:
BradTank (08-04-22), mello03 (08-03-22), MrTorgue (08-02-22)
Old 08-02-22, 10:21 AM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by ellocovg
Hopefully for Toyota they’ve learned the secrets from all there overseas turbo diesels. I don’t know if I agree on that for every manufacturer. My work van is a 2019 Ford Transit and over on that forum it’s not rare for guys with the twin turbo to rebuild the turbos around 50-80K miles. The guys with the regular 3.7 have gotten 2-300K with no issues. Would it be nice to have that extra oomph yes but I’m perfectly happy with my more dependable plain vanilla engine. I especially distrust these tiny 4 bangers that they are turboing now to get an extra 1-3 mpg over a standard 4. If the secret is to sit in your vehicle to allow the turbos to cool down for an extra 5 minutes no one is ever going to do that on a non toy commuter beater car.
100% this. Every manufacturer has more trouble with turbo engines over naturally aspirated. I mean it’s pretty well known for decades.

Just look at GM, Chrysler and Ford just for domestic examples. For the Germans obviously VW/Audi and BMW are great places to start for this. While the Japanese are better at it there still is an issue—even with Toyotas. I’ll always maintain NA > FI for reliability.
The following 2 users liked this post by MrTorgue:
BradTank (08-04-22), John00 (08-02-22)
Old 08-02-22, 07:09 PM
ballistice
Driver

Originally Posted by ellocovg
If the secret is to sit in your vehicle to allow the turbos to cool down for an extra 5 minutes no one is ever going to do that on a non toy commuter beater car.
More like 30 seconds or so. Which not many do because they don't understand the importance of spooling down and allowing them to cool.. Turbo engines not for everyone. It takes greater care and more frequent service intervals. Especially the oil cooled ones.
Old 08-02-22, 11:00 PM
F90Guy
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

More like 30 seconds or so. Which not many do because they don't understand the importance of spooling down and allowing them to cool.. Turbo engines not for everyone. It takes greater care and more frequent service intervals. Especially the oil cooled ones.
That's a common misconception, oil cooled turbo's were a thing of the 90s, its been over 20 years now, in fact turbo cars of early 2000s were already oil/water cooled which did not require "idling down" the car. There are no more car with oil only cooled turbos since the mid 90s. This rings true for today, the turbos will still get cooled off even after the engine is off by the coolant lines moving coolant through. I mean you can sit in it all you want for peace of mind. Both my Mercedes and BMW has the fans running even after I turn the engine off for that purpose, thats on a very hot, hot inside V performance engines. Non performance engines won't need that.
Old 08-02-22, 11:02 PM
F90Guy
Driver School Candidate

You put 87 octane into your GX that needs premium fuel? I'd sure like to put 91 octane into something that was turbo charged and made more power, that 4.6L might as well be on 87 for the mpgs and power it makes or doesn't make I should say
Old 08-02-22, 11:14 PM
F90Guy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wardman1
Thanks - I'd like to see that sooner than later. I know, there could be a V8 option, but hopefully more economical V6 too. It also looks like the Sequoia has a new engine, wonder if that could make it into the GX,
There is no more V8 options lol, if Dodge is making 2023 the last year for the Hellcat engine, trust me there is no option for a V8 from Toyota lol. That's it they're done. The 4.6 is the last of Mohicans Toyota V8s, last of the old school V8s. After 2023 its done, so say goodbye. The 5.0L thats in the IS 500 which is new school Lexus design engine, is also the last hurrah, might be for 2022 only, so 2023 is truly last of the V8s for Toyota, whether it'll both or the 4.6L . 2023 is last year for many non-hybrid V8s. Its sad really seeing the 4.6 going away into history, at least it'll be remembered as on of the greatest V8s ever build, in terms of sheer reliability. In fact very few V8s in general will be left starting 2024, BMW and AMG might be the lasts to make V8s until 2030 that I know of, everyone else is pretty much done in the next few years.
Old 08-03-22, 05:46 PM
BradTank
Racer

I find the part in bold to be funny (and completely contradicts your assertion)

All things being equal, a simpler device will be more reliable. A non-turbo motor is much, much simpler.
The turbos themselves will likely need service and need to be rebuilt and replaced at some point.

That doesn't even scratch the surface of all the additional issues with turbocharging. It's an engineering nightmare which is why the automakers avoided it for so long.

I'm sure Toyota will be better than other automakers at it, but it's going to be a "different" ownership experience for people that keep their cars for really long time and put high miles on it.
For someone that just keep their cars under warranty and dump them, its probably no issue.

Old 08-03-22, 05:47 PM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by F90Guy
You put 87 octane into your GX that needs premium fuel?
Yes and I've had no issues.

Same vehicle/engine is spec'd with 87 octane in other countries.
Old 08-03-22, 08:37 PM
ballistice
Driver

I find the part in bold to be funny (and completely contradicts your assertion)

All things being equal, a simpler device will be more reliable. A non-turbo motor is much, much simpler.
The turbos themselves will likely need service and need to be rebuilt and replaced at some point.
Brad, yours and some of the other members responses are very typical of the average motoring public who do not understand how reliable a turbocharged engine can be. They are no more complicated than a NA motor. In fact some NA motors have many more moving parts and failure points than a simple turbocharged engine. I have explained this in detail before but your mind is made up so carry on with you assertion of the unreliability theory.

As stated, I have no problem whatsoever to be afraid how technology is moving forward with squeezing more reliable HP out of a gasoline engine. BTW the V35A-FTS has been out for over 5 years now and has been tested and proven to go 300,00 miles plus on same turbochargers with nothing more than regular service intervals. When it was stuffed into the Tundra in 2021 it has been singing along in Hotshot haulers all across the country already proving 150K+ reliable miles a year.

Quick Reply: LX engine for GX