GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX or LX comparable to a Dodge Durango Citadel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-22 | 11:25 AM
tapjoy
Pit Crew

Default GX or LX comparable to a Dodge Durango Citadel?

My wife saw an LX in the wild and liked the look of it. She drives a 2016 Dodge Durango Citadel edition and really likes that.

I’m wondering would the GX be more like the Durango or would the LX be a better swap? Prices alone would lead me leaning to a GX but I would like the size to be comparable. The Durango is 6 seater (2 captains chairs) and the rear seats fold down for more cargo if needed. Can’t beat the V8 of the Durango but if the Lexus’ don’t need it (or have that turbo thing everyone is talking about) then that’s ok… but don’t want to lose too much of that power feel.
Old 08-04-22 | 09:37 AM
Coulter
Intermediate

An LX is probably closer in size.

My wife wanted an LX, but when we really got to comparing them side by side, the LX was almost literally the price of 2 GX's for a couple inches of rear leg room. I feel the GX is big enough and feels roomy.

It's expensive to get as big as the domestic offerings. My "ideal" would be the size of a Chevy Tahoe, which means I'm looking at $110k+ for an LX.
The following users liked this post:
tapjoy (08-08-22)
Old 08-04-22 | 11:12 AM
MrTorgue
Instructor

The Durango is going to be bigger than both. Most notably in the cargo area. I’d say the GX is in a sweet spot for cost, size, and function. If the Durango is the 3.6 V6 both of you will love the smooth V8 in either the GX or LX. If the Durango has a Uconnect 8.4” radio unit with factory carplay / android auto you will miss that as you can only go aftermarket for those. Having said that the aftermarket options can be a viable solution.

FYI, I’m a MOPAR guy too so I’d be happy to expand on the differences if you want.
Old 08-06-22 | 01:52 PM
ICSFSEDoD
Rookie

Not true for CarPlay. The 2022+ GX has native CarPlay.
Old 08-06-22 | 02:20 PM
MrTorgue
Instructor

Originally Posted by ICSFSEDoD
Not true for CarPlay. The 2022+ GX has native CarPlay.
Yup. OP didn’t specify which LX or GX they were interested in so that was an item that I was going to mention after I got more information.
Old 08-06-22 | 03:17 PM
ASE
Pole Position

History matters ... the genealogy of a company ... with Toyota having been in existence since 1933 ... with the quality and reliability reflecting that long term corporate ownership and commitment.

Chrysler ... 1979 government bailout ... the later K-Car debacle ... later acquired by Daimler-Benz in 1998 ... with the Germans quickly losing patience with their "incompetent" American counterparts ... so shifted engineering to German resources ... ultimately "cut-bait" and sold to a private equity firm in 2006 ... then later sold to Fiat (Fix-it-again-Tony) in 2014 who was a savior only because they had engineering resources that had been lost during the former corporate ownership thrashing.

So yes, one can look at "features" and compare models ... but for me, Chrysler has always struggled with producing anything with any level of consistency. The industry data on quality and reliability (and safety) more than supports this conclusion. If one is a "Lease Flipper" ... then maybe this consideration is not important ... but if one is a long-term owner ...

Last edited by ASE; 08-06-22 at 03:31 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ASE:
flighht2k5 (09-19-22), gfcipriani (08-07-22), John00 (08-06-22)
Old 08-08-22 | 08:58 AM
tapjoy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by MrTorgue
The Durango is going to be bigger than both. Most notably in the cargo area. I’d say the GX is in a sweet spot for cost, size, and function. If the Durango is the 3.6 V6 both of you will love the smooth V8 in either the GX or LX. If the Durango has a Uconnect 8.4” radio unit with factory carplay / android auto you will miss that as you can only go aftermarket for those. Having said that the aftermarket options can be a viable solution.

FYI, I’m a MOPAR guy too so I’d be happy to expand on the differences if you want.
The Durango is a big ol’ V8 with the uconnect wireless phone connection. I suppose we’ll have to test drive some of them. I know she’s pretty bougie so she’ll want a newer vehicle. But they don’t make em in V8 anymore right? So if it still seems to have the power, it should be ok. Unless since it’s smaller it may not need to v8 to drive just as well. Who knows though. Hey though, there was a release of info about the rx500h so who knows where Lexus will be if she decides to wait a little while before upgrading.
MrTorgue (08-08-22)
Old 08-08-22 | 09:11 AM
CFAI
Instructor

Originally Posted by tapjoy
The Durango is a big ol’ V8 with the uconnect wireless phone connection. I suppose we’ll have to test drive some of them. I know she’s pretty bougie so she’ll want a newer vehicle. But they don’t make em in V8 anymore right? So if it still seems to have the power, it should be ok. Unless since it’s smaller it may not need to v8 to drive just as well. Who knows though. Hey though, there was a release of info about the rx500h so who knows where Lexus will be if she decides to wait a little while before upgrading.
If she tends to only wants a car for around 6 years (you mentioned the Durango is a '16), I am not sure how important the very long term reliability that tends to be built in Toyota's will be of value to her (outside of resale values).
The bias on this site (or rather my guess about it) heavily skews toward valuing long term reliability, so keep that in mind when interpreting our feedback
Old 08-08-22 | 11:40 AM
MrTorgue
Instructor

Originally Posted by tapjoy
Get a ‘22, you’ll still have a V8 in either a GX or LX. I may recommend also looking at the Sequoia if she still wants a V8 with the space of the Durango. It’s the closest comparison. It’s still a truck based Toyota so it’ll be bulletproof reliable for decades. A ‘22 Sequoia has carplay so there that. The TRD is the one to get in a Sequoia. I was considering one before I bought a GX. The GX and LX will have a plusher and quieter ride versus the Sequoia.
gfcipriani (08-09-22)