GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Used '19 GX460 or new 4 Runner?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-22, 09:58 AM
GoingII
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Used '19 GX460 or new 4 Runner?

I am starting to research my next vehicle and may be interested in one of these two trucks. I am someone that keeps my vehicle as long as possible and favors reliability over bells and whistles.

I just started researching these and see that the 2019 GX460 is going for about 42-43k with about 25k on it and a new 4 Runner unless you really load it up is about the same. I will use it as a true SUV and it will get pinstripes when I take it hunting. On one hand I like the idea of new but while I know the V6 in the 4 runner is supposed to be very reliable I have read the V8 in the GX 460 is probably more so. My last two vehicles were a 2007 Yukon XL and my current truck is a 2014 Ram 1500 with leveling kit so I am not too worried about the gas mileage because I think it will be similar to these trucks.

I may be interested in a small lift with either truck for better ground clearance and a tougher stance but don't see myself swapping out the front bumper for a winch unit. Which lead to a question about the GX. Does it have any recovery points in the front ? I haven't see it in any pictures or it mentioned in any literature.

This would be my first foray into the Toyota ecosystem so other than their reputation for reliability I don't know what I don't know and am looking for opinions of those that have experince with them.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-11-22, 10:00 AM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 343 Likes on 229 Posts

Not to be biased, but you’ll like the GX more. Better engine (V8 vs V6), quieter and a much nicer interior.
The following users liked this post:
GoingII (08-11-22)
Old 08-11-22, 10:13 AM
CFAI
Instructor

Received 322 Likes on 219 Posts

Why not look into a used 2019 4runner? Take a look at both, but my guess is a 4runner - new or used will be a better fit for you.
GoingII (08-11-22)
Old 08-11-22, 10:56 AM
GoingII
4th Gear

I looked at the 2019 4 Runners and they are being offered at 38+ so thought either new or the GX was the better value.
CFAI (08-11-22)
Old 08-11-22, 01:21 PM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

I test drove both when shopping .. and absolutely loved the fit, finish, power, headlights (yeah the 4Runner lights suck in comparison), and overall feel of the GX. Plus, it was surprisingly cheaper ( used vs used ) .. 2 years in and zero regrets! Plus, not all 4Runner models are equipped with KDSS vs the GX ( standard on all trims )

GoingII (08-11-22)
Old 08-11-22, 01:47 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Originally Posted by m5rahul
I test drove both when shopping .. and absolutely loved the fit, finish, power, headlights (yeah the 4Runner lights suck in comparison), and overall feel of the GX. Plus, it was surprisingly cheaper ( used vs used ) .. 2 years in and zero regrets! Plus, not all 4Runner models are equipped with KDSS vs the GX ( standard on all trims )
OP suggested a lift kit - not sure if KDSS limits options there. Also, if buying 4R as new OP can opt for KDSS. Since actually planning on taking it out into woods, OP might weigh in their decision the much better approach/departure angle and overall clearance 4R provides.
I got our GX bc as you say, it was around the same prices as a used 4R, but I am not OP - don't hunt, don't use for off road, etc.

Agree OP should def drive both, but hard for me to see how GX is better for OP - unless maybe they get a '10 - '13 GX, so as not to sweat the paint damage and get better clearance.
Old 08-11-22, 02:13 PM
schwein
Pit Crew

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

We have a 14 4Runner limited and a 19 GX460, if you're comparing the Limited to the GX some may like the styling of one over the other, making the 4Runner get the nod for some folks, but if you're comparing any lesser than the Limited (like an SR5 or what ever) the GX gets the win all day. I prefer our 19 GX over our 14 4Runner, even though ours is nearly mint condition and drives like new. the V8 as described before is also excellent. I doubt a 2022 4Runner would sway my opinion much especially if you compare to a 2022 GX (which has the updated dash). This said I love our 4Runner for what it is, just not as much as the GX.
Old 08-11-22, 02:22 PM
GoingII
4th Gear

Originally Posted by CFAI
OP suggested a lift kit - not sure if KDSS limits options there. Also, if buying 4R as new OP can opt for KDSS. Since actually planning on taking it out into woods, OP might weigh in their decision the much better approach/departure angle and overall clearance 4R provides.
I got our GX bc as you say, it was around the same prices as a used 4R, but I am not OP - don't hunt, don't use for off road, etc.

Agree OP should def drive both, but hard for me to see how GX is better for OP - unless maybe they get a '10 - '13 GX, so as not to sweat the paint damage and get better clearance.
The one I did see at a dealer that I have an in with does have the KDSS but while under warranty I would not be adding anything that may void that warranty. In my brief research it sounds like there are inexpensive ways of using it with a leveling kit. The more I read and the more video's on YouTube I watch I am more inclined to go the way of the GX. My off-roading is nothing crazy literally farm field corners and forest service roads.

I do have another question with how the rear door works swinging out how does someone deal with a hitch haul that is loaded if they need to get in the back? It looks to me I would have to unload it.
CFAI (08-11-22)
Old 08-11-22, 02:25 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts

I have had the big Chevy Blazer, Ford Explorer and Lexus RX 350 as my personal vehicle and also for hunting and getting back in the woods. I considered the Four Runner but the luxurious ride and the V8 and the highest rated SUV for dependability by Consumer Reports won me over when I decided on the 22 GX 460. It didn't hurt that the updated infotainment screen made the decision really easy for me. I too keep vehicles for a long time. I would go with the 19 GX if I could not justify getting a new one.
GoingII (08-11-22)
Old 08-11-22, 02:45 PM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 379 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by GoingII
I do have another question with how the rear door works swinging out how does someone deal with a hitch haul that is loaded if they need to get in the back? It looks to me I would have to unload it.
I was initially concerned about the rear tailgate and access when towing, as it turns out I had nothing to worry about.
BTW I moved from a 4Runner to the GX. We are not off-roaders but regularly travel gravel and forestry roads. The GX is so much better as a tow vehicle with the extra power, trany and comfort.

Last edited by IanG; 08-11-22 at 02:49 PM.
GoingII (08-12-22)
Old 08-11-22, 02:58 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Ok cool - well I love the GX460, so not trying to talk you out of it if you think it works for you.
Old 08-11-22, 03:22 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

460 combo of equipment below doesn't exist in a 5th Gen 4R

V8 / 6 speed AT / KDSS / Torsen CDL like a Limited / Easy to equip with MTS & Crawl (10-19)

X-REAS versus AVS/RAHC (trim specific)
Old 08-11-22, 03:32 PM
Pzoom
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

As someone mentioned before, 4runner headlights absolutely suck (2021+ are much improved). I ended up getting a 2020 GX with the triple beams that are fantastic.
Old 08-12-22, 01:41 PM
GXcellent
8th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I was making a similar decision as well. Either a new 4runner or GX. For me it was either a 4runner OR Premium or the GX 460 Luxury I just purchased. I spend most of my time on the road, so the GX was the one for me. I think the 4runner has slightly more ground clearance, so if you spend more time off road, that may be to your benefit. Warning: if you test drive both, you will probably go home in the Lexus.
GoingII (08-12-22)
Old 08-13-22, 07:43 AM
tntcandy
Intermediate

Received 253 Likes on 143 Posts

We went with the GX as 95% of the time we are driving on pavement did check the 4 Runner and had it as a rental car for a week and really liked it as well, but the price difference made us go with GX.

If we lived in an area where there was way more dirt roads and off-road trails we might have picked the 4 Runner, or gotten an used 4 Runner for those needs.

End of the day get the one that fulfills your needs

Quick Reply: Used '19 GX460 or new 4 Runner?