GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Beat-Sonic LGVIF-CB4W Wireless S-Connect Interface for 2010-2021 Lexus GX 460 w/nav

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-21, 08:06 PM
tk8lm6
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by schwein

One question on the install, have you done any radio work on other vehicles, or was this your first time? i am fairly handy but am worried i would take this install on and 12 hours later we still dont have a working radio!

Thanks
I have never installed this sort of thing before but I watched the video and some others that showed how to take out the radio and head unit. I had installed MTS and crawl control so I had opened up the console before. It was not to bad. Just watch Eric's install video. 👍👍👍
Old 10-21-21, 04:40 AM
tntcandy
Intermediate

Received 260 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by skeegs
Can we get a longer tern update on this? I've been waiting for a sale or a group buy, but now the Beat-Sonic website says the price is increasing to $749 on 11/1. If everything still looks good with the usability, I'm going to buy (or get on the waiting list) now.
Hi

Sorry, I did not come back, I got an email that 2020-21 was available and I ordered it, now I'm waiting to find time to install it. Additionally, I've ordered several console USB kits, so that I can add a plug in one of the trim pieces around the ashtray.
The following users liked this post:
skeegs (10-21-21)
Old 10-21-21, 07:58 AM
schwein
Pit Crew

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Prices are going up apparently from $649 to $749 on 11/1/2021, so anyone on the fence may want to jump on this now. not clear if the prices will go down in the future again but apparently this is due to the "microchip price gouging"
Old 11-18-21, 05:50 PM
skeegs
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to update, I did order this as soon as it became available last week and it really does work great. I don't have much to add on the installation...it was straightforward and the install video Beat-Sonic has helps a ton. Biggest issue was routing the cables so the sliding cover on the front cubby wasn't obstructed. I didn't add the ground loop isolator and don't notice any additional noise, but might go back and add one if I ever do. There is a surprising amount of open space under the center console...I mounted the metal box to the left of the shifter and the plastic box below the cupholder with a high speed cable routed through a grommet below the arm rest (pics attached). Amazing how much CarPlay/Siri do to modernize the vehicle. Thanks for all the great info in this thread!

The following 3 users liked this post by skeegs:
bbqsoup (11-19-21), IanB2 (11-19-21), JTtheBrick (06-15-22)
Old 11-19-21, 06:45 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 524 Likes on 436 Posts

@skeegs Any chance you could do a review of the unit, how it integrates into the stock system, speed, graphics clarity on the stock screen, etc? Are you using it for android or iOS?
MrTorgue (11-19-21)
Old 11-19-21, 06:17 PM
tntcandy
Intermediate

Received 260 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by tntcandy
Hi

Sorry, I did not come back, I got an email that 2020-21 was available and I ordered it, now I'm waiting to find time to install it. Additionally, I've ordered several console USB kits, so that I can add a plug in one of the trim pieces around the ashtray.
So I did get to install the unit, posted in the "what have you done to your GX" thread.

Its pretty straight forward and it works great. nice to have the apple CarPlay for longer trips.

First round I added 1 USB port outlet, but was not happy, so ordered the trim piece as a replacement.
Then I removed the 12V outlet and installed a 2 USB port unit, 1 port is for CarPlay and the other I connected to a 5Vdc 15W adapter connected to the 12Vdc that was originally for the old outlet.

The following 2 users liked this post by tntcandy:
nyctfl (06-16-22), Piney1 (12-17-23)
Old 06-16-22, 03:07 PM
seann90
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

How did you guys mount the boxes to ensure they don't move around on bumpy roads, etc. Velcro, tape? Got put on the waitlist for next round on inventory.
Old 06-16-22, 03:27 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 985 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by seann90
How did you guys mount the boxes to ensure they don't move around on bumpy roads, etc. Velcro, tape? Got put on the waitlist for next round on inventory.
I mounted my Lsailt box right below the gear shift, since there are lots of empty space, easy to organize all the cable harnesses as well. I have also mounted my add on surround view interface in same place, all using Velcro without any issue.
seann90 (06-17-22)
Old 06-19-22, 07:24 PM
tk8lm6
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Mounting and Long Term Review

Originally Posted by seann90
Hi There,

I did not mount either of the boxes using velcro or anything. THere is plenty of room there for them under the center console but at the same time I have not noticed any rattling around or anything.

I will say this ... I have noticed that using a handheld radio inside the vehicle in the 70CM band (like 440 MHz) it causes the BeatSonic to glitch and restart. I spoke to Eric and he suggested that I put the plastic box into a faraday pouch. I have not tested it yet, but just thought I would mention that.

I have had mine installed for about 7 months. It works fine There are occasional minor glitches or latency with the touch screen. I feel like that is to be expected due to the crappiness of the factory touch screen.

The main and really only complaint I have is that, at least for my particular phone, the usb jack doesn't really put out enough power to charge the phone. It barely keeps up with the depletion rate of the phone battery. So over a multi-hour drive, the phone battery gets more depleted instead of charging. I also had a week-long period where I thought the device stopped working but it turns out that the problem may have been in the phone. It started launching on plugin after sever days. Weird, but I think that was not a BeatSonic problem.. Oh ... also, it doesn't seem to do Auto Day/Night switching very well but that could be related to the light sensor/headlight on/off logic in the car itself.

My long term review iis, all things considered, 4 out of 5 stars because it mounts invisibly, just works. Glitches are probably attributable to the factory system that it connects to. If it would charge the phone at a decent rate and if it wasn't subject to RF interference that would be 5 outta 5.
seann90 (06-20-22)
Old 06-20-22, 08:18 AM
seann90
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Appreciate the thoughtful review and response!
Old 06-20-22, 11:18 AM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 254 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by tk8lm6
The main and really only complaint I have is that, at least for my particular phone, the usb jack doesn't really put out enough power to charge the phone. It barely keeps up with the depletion rate of the phone battery. So over a multi-hour drive, the phone battery gets more depleted instead of charging.
That's a killer... Literally the only reason I use the USB music input in the GX is so that my phone charges while I drive..
Old 09-12-22, 02:53 PM
bob58
Driver

Received 90 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Beat-Sonic LGVIF-CB4W (W as in wireless). This is the one you've been waiting for.

Beat-Sonic LGVIF-CB4W Wireless S-Connect Interface for Select 2014-2021 Lexus GX 460 and 2016-2018 Toyota Landcruiser

When Beat-Sonic ran out of stock of their wired CarPlay system in July, I decided that I was going to finally bite the bullet and order one when they got the expected restocking in September.

Then September came and they sold out in 5 days. I missed that boat. With the next stock expected in November, I decided to finally get on the wait list. That was 6 SEP. Within 24 hours, Eric emailed me saying that they had received more stock and asked me if I still wanted to purchase it. THAT was when I realized that the new stock was a WIRELESS solution! I immediately jumped on it. The cost was $749. My unit was shipped the next day and arrived today. I would have gotten it sooner but the included shipping with FedEx was weekday delivery. From inquiry to in hand was 6 days counting the weekend. As you have always heard, Eric's service was exceptional.

So here is what you get..

The NV17 Wireless unit replaces the older "plastic" box. The labeling is much better. The case is now metal and open on the side (for cooling I would expect). The long black tongue depressor looking piece is the wireless antenna. It is coax and connects to the "RF" port. The shipped instructions don't specifically state that but it becomes obvious. They do state to mount it as far away from the radio and their boxes as you can but close to the driver for the best wireless signal. I elected to mount it inside my center console. I already had a drilled hole in it to feed my wireless charging mount so it worked out perfectly for me.

The installation difficulty is exactly the same as the previous Beat-Sonic units. Between the provided documentation, Beat-Sonic installation videos and instant email support if you need it, anyone with patience, a panel tool and 10mm socket can do it. It took me 2.5 hours from unpacking to just playing with it. Now, I have gotten very good and taking apart the console by adding USB outlets. If you haven't done that before, expect 4-ish hours since you'll be watching Eric do it on the video as you go.

So, here's the verdict. THIS THING IS AWESOME!

Connection to CarPlay wirelessly was unbelievably easy. The connection to my iPhone SE 2020 was excellent. I have only played with it I'm my garage but after tweaking some CarPlay settings (NOT Beat-Sonic specific) I have it just the way I want it. The only limiting factor for this unit is the OEM Lexus screen, just like the wired unit. That is not Beat-Sonic's fault. The resolution is low so maps are not as sharp as you are used to but they do work. Apple, Google, Sygic. They all work just like CarPlay in any other vehicle. Map scrolling works but the display does not support multi-touch gestures. Again, it's a limit of the resistance screen tech, not the Beat Sonic device.

Here she is..

The CarPlay wallpaper looks washed out in this pic (it's just the lighting) but it is black in real life. It is selectable like all the other CarPlay systems.

I made a post in the "DIY 12v port" thread about rewiring my accessories if you're interested in those.

Thank you, Beat-Sonic! This is the one everyone's been waiting for.

Last edited by bob58; 09-12-22 at 03:18 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by bob58:
45jimmy (12-10-22), CCRyder (10-17-22), IanB2 (09-13-22), nyctfl (08-09-24), Rob6656 (11-20-22), Tunndoc (03-25-24) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-12-22, 06:04 PM
Pzoom
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks pretty nice. I do miss wireless like my other car. On a side note, can you give me info on your mag phone holder? Does it charge too? Thanks!
Old 09-13-22, 01:57 AM
bob58
Driver

Received 90 Likes on 43 Posts

Sure, it's made by Spiegel.

Spiegel MagSafe Wireless Car Charger

It's a little pricey at $55 but it is made of aluminum and is very, very nice. It is powered by a usb-c cable and can support quick charging if you have a QC3.0 usb. You can't tell from the angle of the picture but mine is finished in Space Gray and the color is a very close match to the Lexus plastic trim. They also have black, red and champagne gold.

My phone is an iPhone SE2020 which supports wireless charging but is not MagSafe. I added a MagSafe case and it works and functions perfectly. By mounting it where I did, I can see the clock but not the passenger temp. My mini sized phone does not obstruct the shifter when going to park, but I have bumped it before when I first mounted it and was in a hurry. I believe a Max sized phone would be ok but the clearance would be tighter.

Last edited by bob58; 09-13-22 at 02:05 AM.
CCRyder (10-17-22)
Old 09-13-22, 12:52 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 524 Likes on 436 Posts

This is the review I've been waiting for, thanks for taking the time!
CCRyder (10-17-22)

Quick Reply: Beat-Sonic LGVIF-CB4W Wireless S-Connect Interface for 2010-2021 Lexus GX 460 w/nav